1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. maj21

maj21 Member

Sengun is fun and very good at what he does. I’m a huge fan of his, I just can’t imagine a contending team having him as their starting 5. He would have to absolutely hit his max
    I agree with this. One thing I would add is that Jokic is a legit 6’11”

burlesk, cmlmel77 and Easy like this.
  2. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Honest answer - I've been more involved with basketball than you think.

AroundTheWorld and Ankara1923 like this.
  3. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

But he beats his man quite frequently.

Be positive man; say it brings those continents together. Not a wall - a bridge, rather. ;)

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

I don’t think Sengun will ever be as good as Jokic. With that said, if we are comparing their rookie year TS% and the 3% difference, we should also mention that Jokic was 1 year and 6 months older on his first day as a rookie. So at least in terms of TS% it shouldn’t be a knock, if anything Sengun is ahead of Jokic in the same development cycle.

AlperenSengun and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let's see how Sengun plays this coming season as a 20-year old sophomore. I am excited, TBH. But I am also bracing for disappointment.

I like to use Lonzo Ball as the epitome of improved shooting. He improved from 31% to 42% 3pt shooter in 5 seasons. TS% from .444 to .575. FT from 45% to 75%.
    His accuracy increases every year for 5 consecutive years.

Lonzo is an extreme case. Most players don't improve their shooting that much for that long.

I hope Sengun will become at least decent. He also needs to be more decisive when he's open with the ball.

6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

same feelings here. It bothers me that he has not improved in anything significantly last year. Then I remember how old he is and he did not even speak English. And his numbers are still on track with some of the best.

So far his international stint seems not to have contributed to his development. Which is normal because it is not the national team’s job to develop him.

But again he is 20 and he has at least a year before I make some sort of serious evaluation on him.

AroundTheWorld and Easy like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

also dont forget jokic didnt have silas and dr lucas

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and its not even close

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, then you understand the concept of switching on picks resulting in bigs on perimeter players, yes?

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I think the future is extremely bright for Sengun. I don't think his career will hinge on his ability to shoot. Even if he never becomes a good shooter, I see him as a much quicker Domantas Sabonis type with better defensive potential. Sabonis would be a more valuable player IMO if he could trade some of his dominant rebounding for more lateral quickness and rim protection and that's what Sengun has. If he does develop a reliable three point shot, he'll be elite.

I'm excited to see what Sengun can do in a starting role. He's going to be a fun player to watch for years. Even if he isn't our long-term answer at center, I see him developing enough value to get us a great return down the line similar to how Indy ended up nabbing Haliburton for Sabonis.

#2950 MrButtocks, Aug 27, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    clos4life, hakeem94, CXbby and 3 others like this.
  11. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Name a younger unrestricted FA that you would sign next year with our cap space. Or would you just roll that space over to 2024?

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

today they play Serbia... should be a nice game... a must win for both sides..whoever losses is significantly ruining their chances for advancing to WC

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What time? Is it going to be on any TV station/streaming?

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

12 PM Central

Link to the watch party at the top of the GARM page.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

CT at noon its a must win game for both teams...first 3 qualify
    [​IMG]

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

17. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Against Serbia:

34:26 17 4/10 40% 3/7 42.9% 1/3 33.3% 8/9 88.9% 6 or 7 dr 13 tr 2 as 3 pf 2 to 0 st 2 bl 3 +/-

Just as I remarked he had no significant improvement over the summer and how I hated the ft routine, He got rid of the routine and made 8 ft rows in a row after missing the first. Great!

He took a midrange shot, but hesitated it. Needs to take more shots (not necessarily long midrange) of them and do it decisively.

He had a bad start defensively against Jokic. Overall his defense was okay though. 34 minutes, 3 fouls (though the refs missed an obvious foul), 2 blocks.

I am not a big fan of +/- stat, but he was +3 and highest for Turkey. He had an important role in the huge comeback but was not used much at the end, after Turkey closed the gap.

Overall, I am very pleased with his performance. Just the ft change, if he can keep it up, is huge.

Easy likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

thanks for the intel
    btw did he scored any 3 pointers?

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

1-3

D-rock likes this.
  20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Europe is Asia and Asia is Europe. Same tectonic plate. Europe's not even a subcontinent like India.

It just so happens that back in the age of Colonialism, Europeans wanted to mark themselves as special. It's a cultural division, not a geologic one.

Also, Turkey is in NATO and has long wanted in the EU. They like basketball and basketball is better to the west of them than to the east.

D-rock, aaquaa and conquistador#11 like this.