1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen is our best player.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Dec 10, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Scola put up 10/6 and a 16 PER as a 27 year old rookie. For his career he averaged 16.3 PER, 0.3 blocks, and 1.6 assists a game.

Sengun had a 16 PER as a 19 year old rookie and averaged 0.9 blocks in 20 minutes.

Sengun was as good as prime Scola as a 19 year old, the only thing remotely similar is skin tone.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Besides Domantas and (poor man’s) Jokic, someone said Demarcus Cousins and that’s actually not a bad comp.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The common thing is that they don't have the classic athleticism that makes players potential all-starts for their whole careers if only they could put it together, regardless of their skillset, basketball iq, motor, attitude, capacity and willingness to learn/improve or what they have achieved up to that point in their careers.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

As Rockets fans we watched Scola through his prime, he did not demonstrate a fraction of the athleticism that Sengun has just in his rookie year. Fun fact, Sengun had 44 dunks last year. Scola has 31 dunks… in his entire career. The difference in athleticism also shows in the disparity in blocks. In terms of basketball iq, Scola never showed the passing ability Sengun did even as a 19 year old. They do both have whirling post moves, and Scola had a 18 foot jumper that Sengun has yet to develop. All in all, my point is they are not remotely close in terms of athleticism or level of prospects. This comparison is extremely lazy and always has been.

5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I fully agree. People comparing him to Scola are basing that on what they don't have , not what they have.

If I wanted to do a comparison, he has a lot of Ginobili in him, in a different type of body and playing a different position.

aaquaa and CXbby like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Some guys can throw a lot of assists without scoring, but those are usually quick guys that can break down a defense, but not finish. I think Sengun's assists are mostly going to come from him being a threat to score if the defense doesn't collapse. If Sengun's usage goes up, I'm expecting scoring and assists, but I'm leery of the turnovers.

7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I agree. Will also depend on whether defenses will choose to collapse or let him try to score.

I am not very worried about turnovers, at least in this part of the game. His turnovers mostly come when he is attacking face front to the basket, due to his lack of ball control. When he posts up, he rarely turns it over and usually makes the correct play, whether it is passing the ball or attacking the basket.

8. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I haven't met anyone who didn't like Scola as a player/human being but comparing Alpi to him is a total nonsense.

At the age of 18-19 Scola was not good enough for Spanish top league and sent to second division Gijon.

At the age of 18-19 Alpi became MVP of top Turkish Basketball League (similar level to Spanish top division) and played in NBA.

Still huge respect for Scola and wish him good luck in Varese but he wasn't as good as Alpi. Alpi will get better career and hope he will be as fine person as Luis.

9. maj21

maj21 Member

Mentioning Sengun in the same breath as Giannis is the dumbest and most delusional thing I’ve ever read. I’m excited to see him ball, but let’s chill out with that lol

hakeemthagreat likes this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

well thats a good news for you so you dont have to bother with an elaborate and detailed reply that could refute my reasoning because youre brain could get tired....thank you for admitting you have no good counterarguments

btw you also must have missed the last years game vs bucks where alpi dominated and silas had to pull him out in order for yanis not to lose and for rockets tank to live...

fyi yanis was considered loser until he had that injury luck and won it all...
    TAKE THAT FOR DATA

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nice thinking! Ginobily

and CP3!
    imho alpi is cp3 of the bigs

12. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Okay. Let’s try this again :). Did giannis win mvp and a ring with 30% 3pt. Yes! So players with unique skill sets can have huge impact without a high % 3 pt shot. Not that Alpi will not shoot 35% from 3 eventually , but we can imagine him to be more than that. In his first season he drew fouls at the same rate as giannis’s second season. His post moves are good as hell. He has vision, iq, passing. I just say it is possible that he could be a much better player if he develops his game attacking the basket other than post moves, increase his ball control, shoot close to the basket. He is just 20. He could be a perennial all star or he could be a role player. How many people would guess giannis to be the player he is today?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. maj21

maj21 Member

There’s no need to elaborate on a take this dumb. You make a lot of good arguments on here, but this one is idiotic lol

hakeemthagreat likes this.
  14. maj21

maj21 Member

I can see perennial all star as a possibility. Giannis is a MVP, finals MVP, and arguably the best player in basketball. Sengun will never be that

hakeemthagreat and AlperenSengun like this.
  15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hahahaha.

DD back at it.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Your posting rides between the lines of full on troll and unhinged sincerity where I don't know where you land?

Are you actually doing a shtick or so you actually believe what you type?

hakeemthagreat and maj21 like this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Alpi look more than OK.

aaquaa likes this.
  18. maj21

maj21 Member

I just can’t believe we live in a where people think Sengun is gonna be Giannis smh

19. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

my referral to Gianni’s is from a game development perspective, not to claim the accolades they will get or the final players they are.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. maj21

maj21 Member

I’m talking about Hakeem94, who is being delusional right now. Sengun is literally gonna be on the bench to close games this season lol. We gotta chill with these takes. I’m not saying that’s what I would do, I’m just stating what’s gonna happen