1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Almost everything that is wrong with the offense summed in one video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Nov 11, 2021.

1. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Out of time out play:

1. Good off screen action until Wood loses balance (Wood was supposed to set an off screen for Green but gives up after losing balance).
    2. Tate sets a good hard screen for KPJ, KPJ misses him on the roll/KPJ doesn't go at Olynk hard enough to force Olynk to commit to a decision. Killian Hayes was completely lost at this point and it was a 2 v 1.
    3. Somehow, the Rockets didn't come up with even a shot. KPJ picks up his dribble and the Rockets now need to scramble.
    4. Green gets the ball, and now we have 5 players on the perimeter with 6 seconds left.
    5. Wood doesn't set a screen, and also doesn't go in. Grant is cheating off of Wood so Green can't drive left, Olynk is covering Cade on the right.
    6. Green takes a tough contested 3.
    For those that like to look at the box score, the only person who's numbers took a hit in this sequence is Green.

#1 flamingdts, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I can sum it up in one name. KPJ.

3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

We need a real point guard and coach. I am just afraid of how Jalen is gonna think he has to play. Basically he's learning to jack up tough contested shots instead of playing a team game. Sometimes this works out in the regular season but it h urts you inthe playoffs. Mchale didnt have an offensive system so it forced Harden to become one of the best 1v1 players in the game the issue with this is in the playoffs its easier to stop a team playing this way where you can zero in on one guy. Yes plays break and you need a star to help you but that shouldnt be your only play.

4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

well KPJ has regressed with lack of control not sure why which leaves me to think it’s psychological. but my biggest concern is Wood. I don’t get his “spots” on the floor as he’s positioned most of the time on the perimeter. He also loves to Jack up long 2s late in the game in critical situations. His play is neither soft or hard and there’s no urgency or emphasis in his game. He’s just lackadaisical. Some guys just aren’t dominant and These players can be really good if paired with dominant type stars as we saw harden made Wood better. And As much as I dislike wall he actually made Wood better.

eliefor3, CHAMPBOY and Dobbizzle like this.
  5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

that man Jalen Green stayed in the corner ready like someone was really about to pass him the ball to shoot a corner three, lmao!

TriumVirate, Nook, clos4life and 14 others like this.
  7. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

last year i felt pretty excited we could land wood. this year without a veteran pg controlling the tempo n distributing the ball, wood just plays as selfish as he could, his big ego right going through the ceiling:
    - refusing to set screens
    - less hustling defensively
    - fascinated by playing iso ball
    sick of that. we should trade silas, Dhouse n him to somewhere else asap.

8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

lmao

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This one play was mostly on KPJ, especially for picking up his dribble ala. Jeremy Lin style.

However, the Rockets have a spacing issue in that the perimeter is too congested. It's 5 out offense without the off-ball movement to go along with it.

Take this play for example, there is a wide open left side of the court that no one is taking up, and both Wood and Green are standing together. Wood should have gone into the paint or to the left side, but I don't understand why he's always hanging around in the perimeter at the top of the key.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This is one of the bigger issue, he has a very lethargic play style.

For example, here he sets a weak screen for Green, and instead of pulling back out to the 3 point line, or going inside the paint, he hangs around the middle right next to Green. Green gives him the ball back, and Gordon and House are open at this point, but he opts for the contested 2 instead.

glimmertwins, Bo6, Mr Woods and 9 others like this.
  11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Damn shame
    [​IMG]

DeBeards and Jontro like this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Thats not a screen at all. He's just goin through the motions lol

13. HP3

HP3 Member

So the plays are good, but the dude's cant execute. Hmmmmm, HMMMMMMM. I WONDER WHAT THAT MEANS.

It means you guys shouldnt just blame the coach all the time,

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

silas is a genius, we just don't understand his wizardry yet

BigggReddd, fattz, DeBeards and 3 others like this.
  15. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

LOL

fattz likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

This is an example of what an ignorant poster looks like.

jiggyfly and Stephen_A like this.
  17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its hard to judge the coach with such a terrible team. we can only judge him based on player development at this point. as long as we see our rookies improving as the season goes on, he's doing his job.

I don't get the point of playing the vets though. Nwaba, house, augustine, thies, gordon, all can get the John wall treatment. the whole point of playing vets next to our young guys was to provide some structure for the rookies on court. however these vets are not able to do that, so they're pretty useless. give the minutes to the rooks and let them figure it out themselves.

maybe keep gordon and theis playing, on second thought, so they can keep their trade value and hopefully get traded at the deadline. post all star break if they're on the team, they can get the John wall treatment.

#17 smoothie, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    fattz, BallaDoc, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  18. Rockets21

Rockets21 Member

The biggest problem is we have 3 players (JG, CW, KPJ) in the starting lineup that’s useless without the ball, and they’re just as clueless on defense. Either CW or KPJ has to go and I believe it should be CW.

MaxRider likes this.
  19. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Undoubtedly the technical staff of the Rockets will have all the necessary elements to know if KPJ can be our PG in the future. I have serious doubts.
    Clearly this team is not built to win right now and the road to rebuilding is extremely difficult, but at this point I suspect Green (and Sengün) could learn and develop much better with John Wall on the court. But ... that is decided by the technical staff of the Rockets, I only leave my opinion in this forum.

20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Nah, the plays are the same absolute garbage he ran last year when we had all star quality players and the **** fell apart the same way. A good coach wouldn't need a Luka to make their offense work. Relying on an all time great player for your offense to work isn't an indicator of being a good coach if that's the only way your offense works, come on now.

D-rock likes this.