1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Allergies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macalu, Mar 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. macalu

macalu Member

Who's got'em? I haven't been able to breathe right the last few days and going through a box of tissues like candy.

2. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

I don't right now (which is surprising) but I did a few weeks ago. Hate them so much! The ground is covered in pollen so I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise...

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Had them a few days ago, no one seems to understand how bad it is. I went to college at Baylor...now that's a b**** for someone suffering like me.

4. PlanetG

PlanetG Member

yeah - the pollen's been abs. dreadful this week here in Htown. def. brings out the emo tears. :(

the easy-dissolving claritin or alaverts work pretty quick to temper it. :)

5. BetterThanEver

I used to have bad allergies. Then, I replaced the air filter with a filtrete, take extra "vitamin d" and "vitamin c. It's not so bad anymore.

6. BetterThanEver

I also do the neti pot, every now and then. It helps alot.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

I've had to double up on my Zyrtec the last few weeks. I HATE this time of year. Sneezing, lazy eyes, snot, headaches...

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Pot is the best for red eyes.

9. LCII

LCII Member

I go through a box of tissues like candy even when its not allergy season. :(

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

So you miss Yao too?

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

I have this thing that when I'm around too many old books, my eyes get itchy and white puss start growing out of my eyeballs. It's gross.

I also get really sick from antibiotics.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm allergic to Iodine found in Shellfish.

13. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Member

I go to school in College Station, where I usually have zero issues with my allergies, but it seems as though every time I come home (which is right outside of Houston), my allergies flare up.

My dad usually has the same problem, but he receives a steroid shot from his doctor which makes him almost immune to the triggers for what seems like a year.

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Yeah ^ I have nothing in Austin but I went home to Cypress for a few days and I was stuffed up. Bought so much Sudafed, the feds will think I'm making meth or something.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Taking Claritin every day, whether you think you need it or not, helps. It's better to start taking it a little before allergy season, but here in Austin, it is always allergy season! The other good thing to do is use Flonase nasal spray every day. It coats the nasal passages in some bizarre way, keeping a lot of the allergens out of your system. Flonase requires a prescription, but is generic now. I've been doing this for years and I sometimes have mild symptoms, but not much. I have a row of Bradford pears, large 16 year old ones that we planted, in full bloom right now along the side of my house... pollen out the kazoo! I swear, it's almost like you can feel it coating your skin. Pretty freaky, but very little allergy symptoms.

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Since I moved to Colorado, I have had no allergies. They were always terrible in Houston. Playing school sports in the springtime was the worst.

17. Dubious

Dubious Member

The nellie pot thing is hard but the NeilMed squeeze bottles work great. Warm one up 30 seconds in the microwave and then take into the shower. Do a couple a day during pollen season.

[​IMG]

I've told it before but I was debilitated with sinus problems for 20 years and got allergy shots the whole time. It turned out that the problem was actually fungal and the goofy allergy doctors never figured it out.

#17 Dubious, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  18. BigTex

BigTex Member

I was suffering bad in houston. im out of town for spring break...no problems at all

19. macalu

macalu Member

i read this post last night and starting thinking about what i could eat for some vitamin c or d. nothing for vitamin d came to me but i had two cups of preserved peaches in the fridge. nutritional sheet said it was 100% vitamin c. i ate both of them up fast.

since then, my allergies have pretty much dissipated. :eek: seriously, no watery eyes or blocked nasal passage. it could be that i also washed my hair real well (read that pollen sticks to your hair) after eating the peaches. who knows, but i'll try to keep up the vitamin c intake.

let's see how the day goes when i walk outside.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Houston=Mold

I used to have bad allergies 24/7 12 months a year. I got on Zyrtec (pills) and Flonaise (nasal spray- steroid). I can actually breathe through my nose now and it's increased my quality of life 1000%.

You can get 6 months worth of generic zyrtec at Sam's Club for $17, and the generic Flonaise is $10 a month @ Walmart pharmacy. I encourage anyone who has insurance to check out the spray, and anyone who has allergies at all to get on zyrtec daily.

Also, Texas is one of the worst places in the US for allergies, with DFW actually being the worst.