1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alleged victim in Kobe case suicidal?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LiLStevie3, Jul 24, 2003.

1. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

This is getting ridiculous...a new story slandering the alleged victim seems to come up everyday. It's going to be difficult to figure out which ones of the people around her are actually telling the truth.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-bryantcase&prov=ap&type=lgns

Bryant's accuser hospitalized last winter in mental health case

By STEVE WILSTEIN, AP Sports Writer
    July 24, 2003
    EAGLE, Colo. (AP) -- Scrutiny of Kobe Bryant's accuser intensified Thursday as authorities said she had been hospitalized as a "danger to herself'' four months before the alleged sexual assault.

University of Northern Colorado police chief Terry Urista said campus police received a call about 9 p.m. on Feb. 25 regarding a woman in a dormitory room.

"An officer determined she was a danger to herself,'' he said. "It's classified as a mental health issue.''

The woman was transported by ambulance to North Colorado Medical Center of Greeley, Urista said. He refused to say whether it was a suicide attempt.

Lindsey McKinney, who lived with the woman this spring before the two had a falling out, said her friend tried to kill herself at school this winter and again in May in Eagle. She said the woman tried to overdose on sleeping pills.

Prosecutors and an attorney for Bryant's 19-year-old accuser have declined to discuss details of the case or the background of the woman. Records relating to the case were sealed.

Robert Pugsley, a criminal law professor at Southwestern University in Los Angeles, said if the two incidents turn out to be suicide attempts it could weaken the prosecution's case.

"The more these indications of instability emerge, the more difficult it might prove for the prosecutor to persuade the jury beyond a reasonable doubt that this young woman did not misinterpret the event,'' he said.

Another legal expert said the suicide attempt claims may never be heard at trial.

Christopher Mueller, a law professor at the University of Colorado in Boulder, said judges can exclude evidence that exposes a witness to undue embarrassment if it isn't essential to the charges.

"When there is no connection proven, that argument becomes pretty difficult,'' he said. ``A court may very well bar it.''

Mueller also said the defense will think ``long and hard'' about whether to label Bryant's accuser unstable and suicidal. ``To attack a person who comes into a court as a victim is always a tricky thing,'' he said.

Bryant was charged with felony sexual assault after his accuser told authorities he attacked her at an Edwards resort June 30. Bryant said the sex was consensual.

Meanwhile, Eagle County Judge Fred Gannett issued an order limiting public comment about the case by attorneys, authorities and others involved in the case, including Bryant and any witnesses.

Citing concern about pretrial news coverage, the judge said it was his duty to try to guarantee a fair trial.

"Where the case is a notorious one, that burden on the court is heavy,'' Gannett wrote.

Before the judge's ruling, Eagle County Sheriff Joe Hoy dismissed speculation by at least one of the woman's friends that she is having second thoughts about going forward with the case.

"As far as I've heard, that is just plain rumor,'' Hoy said. "That is just off-board.''

Prosecutors met with the woman at length at her lawyer's office this week and interviewed other young women at the district attorney's office in Eagle. Friends say the woman is strong enough to withstand the media attention.

Krista Flannigan, a spokeswoman for District Attorney Mark Hurlbert, said the final decision about pursuing the case rests with prosecutors, who represent the public and not just the victim.

'It's not her complaint against him. It's the people of Colorado against him,'' she said.

Prosecutors have sometimes decided to continue cases, including sexual assault and domestic violence ones, without the cooperation of victims, she said.

Hoy, who was accused by defense attorneys of rushing the case against Hurlbert's wishes, also said it was up to the prosecutor whether to go to trial.

'It wouldn't be her choice,'' Hoy said.

The woman's name has been on the radio in at least 60 cities and posted on various Internet sites, complete with address, phone number and, in several cases, photographs of the wrong women.

Media focus on her is angering some who say the spotlight is making her a victim all over again. The release of her name is an invasion of her privacy, said Flannigan, who is also a victim advocate with experience in several high-profile cases.

'All assault victims' names are supposed to be protected,'' she said. ``It's a safety and security issue, especially with higher profile cases. Once they are exposed, they really feel it's another violation. The victim is revictimized.''

Jennifer Hamilton in Greeley, Colo., and Colleen Slevin in Eagle, Colo., also contributed to this story.

It true, this could be very distracting to the prosecutor's case, unless as stated in the article, the evidence is barred from the courtroom. Of course, just because someone attempts to commit suicide (or is unstable) doesn't mean he or she can't be raped several months later. But I'm sure Kobe's attorneys will try to spin it in some way to question the victim's credibility/stability.

#1 LiLStevie3, Jul 24, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2003
  2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

This girl has quite a history.

The prosecution is going to have a wonderful time trying to win this thing.

3. underoverup

underoverup Member

I think we need a Kobe sticky thread.

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Does anyone other than McKinney name the accusser as the one who attempted suicide?

5. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

God, what other mud are they going to throw on this girl? I hate to deal in conspiracy theories, but it wouldn't surprise me if investigators hired by Kobe's legal team are dredging up all this crap and leaking it to the press. This is really getting ugly. I hope she realized what a mess she's gotten herself into, because when it is over her reputation will cease to exist.

6. Franchiseclutch

And this is exactly why some 60% of women who get raped never come foreward. (as said on Around the Horn yesterday)

I feel sorry for the girl IF she is telling the truth. But if shes lying, then I have no sympathy. She has made a claim of rape, and if its true then more power to her for coming foreward. But if its a lie then her rep should be destroyed. The world should know what kind of a person she is. And she should get no sympathy what so ever. But thats IF shes lying. And we won't know until trial is over, and thats why i think the media should hold off and just wait and see like the rest of the world.

7. Zion

Zion Member

and if she's lying what has she already done to Kobes' reputation?

8. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I dunno some times it (bad publicity) leads to a semi-famous life (see Monica Lewinsky).

What is really bad is that I bet everone one of us has a few things in our lives we would be terribly embarrased about or would ruin our reputations if brought to the press. I just hope the jury realizes she is not on trial for what has happened in her past just what happened that night.

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

She showed he is not the great guy everyone thought he was, but that just brought it to light Kobe did it (adultery) himself.

10. Panda

Panda Member

The fixers are doing a good job.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is old news.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. we have no idea what is or what is not true about her of these reports.

2. we have no idea what evidence will or will not come in as evidence in the trial.

3. even if this is true...does it create an presumption that she could not be raped? clearly the answer to that question is no.

i think a lot of all of this stuff in the media beforehand is a red herring, except to the extent it taints potential jurors opinions before they're even selected as jurors.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Even though I agree with you on it shouldn't have any bearing on the case, the report is most likely true, its confirmed by an officer and a former roomate.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You will probably never know if she's lying. If Bryant is acquitted, that doesn't mean she lied. The prosecution must prove beyond a reasonable doubt, which is a pretty high bar (plus, Bryant has the best lawyers money can buy). What if she was raped, and worse, her rapist gets off (meaning he is acquitted), and worst yet, the whole world calls her a liar for protesting the rape in the first place? I wouldn't be quick to condemn her for the allegations.

15. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Good point. We will never truly know whether or not she lied. Maybe they engaged in some "rough stuff" that got her bruised up? That's a possible answer to all this physical evidence. In any case, I'm not going to criticize her if Kobe is found non-guilty, because likely his well-paid legal dream team will find some way (just like with OJ) to get him out of this mess, even if he really did it. I just hate the double-standard of justice in this country. If you're a rich guy, you go hire a great lawyer. If you're some broke guy with a bus pass, you get a numbnuts public defender who doesn't even know how to tie his own shoelaces. Kobe will more than likely get off because of that.

16. Zion

Zion Member

Adultery, who cares, that's between him and his wife.

However, the fact that he has been charged with rape is what is going to do irreversible damage to his reputation. Even if he didn't do it and is aquitted some people will just say it was because of his high priced lawyers (as some are already saying) and hence will always think of him as a rapist. The only way he might get at least some of his rep back is if the girl actually comes out and says i lied. Even then the skeptics will probably say she was paid to shut up or something. Bottom line is even IF Kobe is innocent he will always be a rapist in some peoples eyes and that is a very, very, very long way away from being known as an adulterer.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

YES. YES. A sticky thread please for all this crapola.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Exactly...If she's telling the truth, then shame on Kobe...If she isn't, shame on her...We'll all just wait and see...

19. PhiSlammaJamma

As a juror I would want to hear this. Both sides have a valid point. Just because someone screwed up doesn't mean they couldn't have been raped. In fact, it might make them more vulnerable. But as juror, I do think it's important. to know the person was suicidal. I have to jusge one person's validity against another's. That is what this case comes down to. And you won't disclose to me that she has emotional problems. That's important. What is she is preverbial liar. Will that not be relevant to? Just my take. I want to know.

20. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

All the officer confirms is that there was a woman who tried to commit suicide at the college and had to be hospitalized. I don't believe they ever identified that person.

Only the former friend does that.