1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All You HD Gurus....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swoosh1014, Jul 26, 2007.

1. swoosh1014

swoosh1014 Member

I just recently bought this model http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...25622?_encoding=UTF8&m=ASH1H6YCFH4EF&v=glance
    and am waiting for it to arrive...However I am not an electronics guru like some people here and was wondering what other accessories I may need to purchase in order to get the best quality out of my tv.... One question I had was does this set come HD ready out of the box or do I need to go out and buy an attennae or something else to get it going? If so, what kind would you recommend? Also, I am planning to connect my Xbox 360 to it, are there any special connectors I should get in order to get optimum quality from it? Any help would be much appreciated, and keep in mind that I am not as electronically saavy as some on you so keeping it as basic as possible would be appreciated! Thanks again!

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Do you have cable? If so you're all set if you have the hd channels.

You'll need an hdmi cable...DON'T OVERPAY FOR IT. I saw them for sale at Fry's for $9.99 (or was it 419.99?). Best Buy will bend you over and rape you.

3. swoosh1014

swoosh1014 Member

Yeah I have digital cable with all the HD channels already... I have seen some talk about attennae's though and was wondering what good they would do for me... I would go to best buy and ask an expert but I fear they may just blow smoke up my @$$ to get me to buy 1 from them so I was looking for an unbiased opinion.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's a hell of a price range there buddy... :D

5. swoosh1014

swoosh1014 Member

I've read that there is not a significant difference between the Big name HDMI cables and the cheaper, lesser known cables, is this true?

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

A majority of them are basically the same. The contacts on the ends are different. But overall they do the same damn thing. Those same monster cables that are 100 bucks have a cost of 15 or so. I remember the only reason i bought them when i was at best buy was because of my discount.

When they setup my HD box at my house when i wasn't there they used regular av cables as the Components and i couldn't tell the difference when i took their cables off and put my monster HD component cables in it's place.

There is very few differences in the cables that you will notice and not worth the price. There are a lot of companies that are just as good in quality but cheaper than Monster. They are marketing themselves well and can charge a lot more.

#6 Stack24, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  7. swoosh1014

swoosh1014 Member

Alright thanks man, also what have u heard/ do u kno about buying an antennae for increased signal strength or better picture quality? Will that make a significant difference or would I be better just saving my $?

8. monkinamr2

monkinamr2 Contributing Member

I believe buying an antennae would only be for the purpose of receiving local channels in HD over the air as opposed to through your cable.

9. swoosh1014

swoosh1014 Member

Alright so then I guess there is no real point to be buying an antennae since I will be more than happy with watching my local channels in HD through cable...

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Never buy your HDMI cables or any cables at Best Buy. (They wanted $60 for an HDMI cord....bastards...)

I got my HDMI and DVI cables from Newegg.com for $10.00 a piece....and I couldn't be happier.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

yeah. i use an antenna to get my local channels in high def....it saves me 5 bucks a month. those 5 dollars add up...

make sure you get a vhf/ufh hd antenna. i believe if it's just a UFH antenna, you wont get PBSHD (there's some good programming on there every now and then)

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

UHF is what i meant to say.

13. swoosh1014

swoosh1014 Member

ok, do any of you guys have a 360 hooked up to your HD? I have heard that they can now be output at 1080p but was wondering if there was some special cord or connector that I needed to get? Thanks for all your help guys!

14. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

It depends on what 360 you got. If you got the core youre gonna have to go somewhere and get the hd cables cause the core doesnt come with them. Premium comes with them and elite comes with both the hd cables and an hdmi connection.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360componenthdcable/

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

If you have a 360 core or premium (white colored) the component cables will output in 1080i/p for the games only if you have the hd-dvd addon drive then the component cables for the core and premium system output at 1080i. if you buy the vga cables for the core and premium you'll get a 1080p output for both games and movies

the elite has a hdmi out which does 1080p for both

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I would buy it for about $15 in case your cable goes out... did you have one already? Just make sure it's an "amplified" antenna. You don't have to get one of those "HD READY" antennae... they just add that to sell it to you, but just amplified will be enough. They're cheap.

What about if Jessica Alba or Jessica Simpson were to tickle your couyans...? Wouldn't that make you happier? :confused: