1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

All-time Univ. of Michigan team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RodneyMcCray, Aug 14, 2001.

1. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

This is from a survey of several U of M fan sites. Glen Rice is picked number 1.

FIRST TEAM:

Glen Rice, f, '86-'89 (239.5)
    Cazzie Russell, g, '64-'66 (236)
    Chris Webber, f/c, '92-'93 (170)
    Rickey Green, g, '76-'77 (136.5)
    Rudy Tomjanovich, f, '68-'70 (117)

SECOND TEAM:

Juwan Howard, f/c, '92-'94 (87.5)
    Gary Grant, g, '85-'88 (76.5)
    Jalen Rose, g, '92-'94 (69)
    Phil Hubbard, c, '76-'79 (66)
    Mike McGee, f, '78-'81 (51.5)

THIRD TEAM:

Campy Russell, f, '73-'74 (43)
    Rumeal Robinson, g, '88-'90 (41)
    Bill Buntin, f/c, '63-'65 (40)
    Roy Tarpley, c, '83-'86 (39)
    Louis Bullock, g, '96-'99, (18)

Others receiving votes: Loy Vaught (15.5), Robert Traylor (13), Terry mills (9), Steve Grote (8.5), Bennie Oosterbaan (8), Tim McCormick (6.5), Oliver Darden (4), Antoine Joubert (4), Maurice Taylor (3), Richard Rellford (3), Eric Turner (3), Leslie Rockymore (1), Wayman Britt (0.5)

Thoughts: I think it is very interesting that each of three teams would actually make a good unit. For example, there is a point guard, a good shooter, a wing forward, a power forward, and a center on each team. Of the 24 ballots that included Cazzie Russell, 21 had him in the #1 slot. That is respect for a man who deserves it. I am not old enough to have seen Cazzie Russell play, but I have done my research. I was at the game when he had his jersey number retired.

Player profiles (FIRST Team):

Cazzie Russell - If you don't know much about Cazzie, it is time you learned. A three-time All-American and 1965-66 National Player of the Year; along with Bill Buntin, led team to two Final Fours ('64 &'65); led team to three Big Ten (B10) championships; career 27.1 scoring average (1st in UM history); 1st player selected in 1966 NBA draft; a member of the '69-'70 NBA champion New York Knicks

Glen Rice - The best outside shooter perhaps in the game of basketball. <b>Isiah Thomas mentioned, after playing with Rice in Detroit during the summer, that Rice once went two weeks without missing a shot.</b> An All-American in 1988-89; has an NCAA tournament record 184 points; 1989 NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player; school record 2442 career points

Chris Webber - Perhaps the most physically gifted player to ever wear the Maize and Blue, Chris Webber combined immense strength, superb quickness, large hands, tremendous leaping ability and excellent hand-eye coordination to dominate the college game. Along with his Fab Five teammates, led UM to two consecutive NCAA Championship games; 1st player to lead B10 in rebounds and steals; 1st player to be named to NCAA All-Tournament team as both a freshman and sophomore; 1st player chosen in 1993 NBA draft and 1993-94 NBA Rookie of the Year

Rickey Green - The greatest junior college transfer to play at UM, Rickey Green was lightening quick. A two-time JC All-American; led team to 1976 NCAA Championship game; two-time NCAA All-Tournament team; All-American in 1977 and runner-up for national Player of the Year

Rudy Tomjanovich - After a brilliant career at UM, Rudy T. had/is having a successful career in the NBA as both a player and a coach for the Houston Rockets. Averaged 30.1 points and 15.7 rebounds in 1969-70 season, in which he was named an All-American; career averages of 25.1 ppg and 14.4 rpg; UM career record 1039 rebounds; 2nd player chosen in 1970 NBA draft

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

.......would have zero chance against the all-time North Carolina or UCLA teams.

The all-time UA team would give them a run for their money too.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The all-time Houston team would kill them, too:
    C - Olajuwon
    F - Hayes
    F - Outlaw
    G - Drexler
    G - Birdsong

4. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Muck Fichigan!
    :)

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What about an all-time Baylor team?

C-B. Skinner
    PF-D. Middleton
    SF-V. Johnson
    SG-D. Wesley
    PG-M. Williams

:D

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Sam, you were reading my mind...almost:

Dream
    Big E
    Robin Williams (had a much better college career than Bo)
    Glyde
    Birdsong

7. Desert Scar

I meant UH in my post. Come to think of it, UA wouldn't be bad either but probably not with the others mentioned. LSU would not be bad either building a team around Shaq and Pistol Pete, or Kansas around Wilt and a slew of other NBA guys.

Indiana, Michigan, Duke, Georgetown and Kentucky, <i/> they all suck </i>.

With UH team I think I would go with Akeem, Hayes, Drexler, Micheal Young and Birdsong. Drexler could be a "3", in fact I think he mainly was a forward at UH. I would think Young is next best guard, but I could be overlooking somebody.

8. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Have to disagree there.

Michigan's team is very respectable, 6 all-star caliber guys at some point in their career.

Duke-Brand, Hill, Laetnerr, Hurley, Williams, etc... wouldn't be shabby.

Georgetown-Iverson, Mutumbo, Ewing, Mourning, among others.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The guy you are over looking is Rob Williams. He was the main man on the team that went to the final four in 92. He was basically a one man show for UH that year. And that team had Dream and Young and Drexler.

10. Desert Scar

vj23k, I didn't mean those teams didn't have some great bastketball players or that their all-time teams would not be good at the game of basketball, I just meant, well, you know, <b/> "they suck" </b> . :D

11. The Voice of Reason

Yeah, well, the URI all time roster kicks a$$ with Odom, Mobley, OOoHhh..........forget it........ we suck :(

12. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

OOH, Gotcha.

Thought you meant in terms of talent.

I agree with you about Duke, Indiana, and Kentucky.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Tim McCormick got more votes than MoTay?????

14. Desert Scar

Tarpley was better at the game of basketball than Jowan also.

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

What about the all-time Cincinnati team?

SF Jack Twyman
    PF Paul Hogue
    C Kenyon Martin
    SG Oscar Robertson
    PG Nick Van Exel
    6th Danny Fortson

Now that would be a team that could give the UH team a game. Hogue led Cincy in the early 60's to back-to-back NCAA titles beating Ohio State both times who had Havlicek and Jerry Lucas. I know I'm probably leaving some other people out, but any team with the Big O on it is going to be tough. The fact that he was able to average a triple double for a season is one record that will never be broken.