1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All-Time Show-Time Passing Team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rimrocker, Feb 16, 2007.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The Show-time pass seems a lost art these days, with a few notable exceptions. Anyway, here's my All-time team....

PG Bob Cousy... Way ahead of his time with passing skills... some of those old clips are amazing.

SG Pete Maravich... Who else?

SF Magic Johnson... Yep, I know he was a PG, but he's versatile enough, so I'm putting him here.

PF Larry Bird... Enough said.

C Bill Walton... In his prime, a damn good passer.

2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

When Jason (white chocolate) Williams first came into the league he had some pretty slick passing skills.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

If you're gonna let Magic play SF and Bird play PF, I think you'd be better off just asking for any 5 showtime passers.

Cousy, Maravich, Magic are all definites.

After that.. there are a lot you could throw in the hat i think from many generations. depends whether you want longevity or a couple of years of it

4. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I think Webber is probably the best passing PF to ever play, but I'm not sure he's much of a show-time passer...

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Arvydas Sabonis may have to make this team at C if you look at him in his prime.

6. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Was going to say the exact same thing.

7. Blotto

Blotto Member

With his highlight reel for a resumé, an argument for C-Webb could definitely be made. BUT, in terms of pure passing vision and ability, Webber is quite overrated, IMO. Really, Divac was the best passing big man of the Kings-Adelman era, but the system on the whole overaccentuated the post passer's skills.

Those pretty over-the-shoulder flip passes wouldn't be possible when all 4 of your teammates aren't slashing around seemingly at random until a passing lane is opened. It was like a high-screen/motion offense that fed into a low-post P&R almost.

So, if you're factoring in a team's system, you could argue that Karl Mal...nevermind, I'm not even gonna type out that name.

8. Man

Man Contributing Member

Divac was a good passer, indeed.

9. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I'd continue this discussion but the thought of trying to say something positive about Vlade Divac makes me nauseous. :)

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

11. Blue Beluga

Blue Beluga Member

Steve Nash - say all you want, but I just love watching him run the offense.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

have you seen webber playing in Detroit? He's making the same passes. the team can have cutting and slashing, but it still takes a skilled player to get his teamates the ball.

13. chaosad

chaosad Contributing Member

how bout jason williams when he was still young..

14. Blotto

Blotto Member

I'll give him that much, definitely. He's a good passer - I just feel he's overrated.

He didn't do much in that regard while he was in Philly, but he never truly got acclimated. Now that he's on a team with one of the best off-ball schemes in the league (not to mention Rip), I'd expect that of him.

Not saying he sucks, by any means. He's one of the best, all things considered - just not my #1.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

You have to put him on that list if its based purely on how slick someone's passes were.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7-S8P3LGA70"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7-S8P3LGA70" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

16. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

No, I believe that Magic Johnson is the best passing PF to ever play. Remember: Magic played PF during the 95-96 season.

17. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Err... Bird played plenty of time at power forward...

18. rocketswinitall

White chocolate not in the starting 5, but def. the 6th man on this time
    PS: his off the elbow pass is the best pass ever.