1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All-Star Break Discussions

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

THought I would open up a new thread so that the Dodger thread doesn't become 90 pages over the next few days.

If Jimy Williams is fired over the break I will not be surprised or disappointed. I think this team needs something to jolyt it out of the current funk.

CK

2. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Berkman added to the HR derby, Beltran to the ASG, I may just watch them.

This team needs a fire lit under them. I say fire Jimy and Spielman and get suitable replacements, and if that isn't working by the deadline break em up. See if Clemens will accept a deal to the Yankees, get a good prospect or two out of that, trade Kent for more prospects, beg Bagwell to retire this offseason, trade Miller for prospects, re-sign Beltran.

I just feel if it's not going to happen this year, we should make our future bright. I can handle a few losing seasons, but with Oswalt, Beltran, Berkman, Pettitte, Burke, Lidge, Everett, and Ensberg(if he gets his power back), we will have a good core to work with.

3. Agent27

Agent27 Member

If we blew up the team, might has well trade Beltran too. His agent wants "ARod" money. So ...

1) The Astros won't offer enough and we lose him anyway

or

2) We pay Beltran a buttload and can't afford to put a decent supporting cast around him, maybe not being able to play for Oswalt and Berkman either.

If we do fire Jimmy and the team turns around and stays in the Wild Card race then we obviously continue to rent Beltran for the season. If we continue to suck though then we should trade Beltran and Kent since neither will probably return next season anyway.

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

This team needs to go on a winning streak in the worst way - like the 15 game or so streak the Orioles had several years back. I've never seen a bigger team of underachievers. Fire Jimy and decapitate Weathers.

5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Firing Jimy would allow us to make up a couple of games in the standings, as our in-game strategy would automatically improve (no matter who is made manager in his place - no one could do worse).

But the only way to turn this team around is to move Lane or Lamb in at 1st, and that ain't going to happen.

6. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

With the Astros playing mediocre ball it has really put a damper on what could have and should have been an exciting all-star break...

7. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Okay, IF the Astros realize that there is no hope left (remember the A's of 2 years ago? IT COULD HAPPEN!), ideally, as unfortunate as it may seem, Houston will become the ultimate trading block.

Again, ideally this team could get 'maximum' value from:
    • Trading Clemens to a contendor in the AL (Boston would be the best choice imo and would be a bittersweet return to the club where it all started, especially since the Yankee <s>idiots</s> fans hate him for 'betrayal', although he would never do it. Also, NY has NO prospects so I can't see how that would be suitable)
    • I do like the package-Bagwell-with-Clemens-to-an-AL-contendor speculations. Probably won't happen, but prospects (a catcher for the future please!) are always good.
    • If the Astros ARE willing to make a trade, Beltran HAS to go! It's sad and unfortunate, as I think he's the best player to put on an Astros uniform since, well, hard to say, even in such short time. If he ain't winning here, he won't even consider signing here. A deal HAS to be made for the sake of the future!
    • Kent is a possibility. I don't think he is that great anymore, but his name is valuable so talent could be had. I'm thinking a place like Cincy would be a good fit, at least for a little while.
    • And Weathers. Oh god please get rid of him!

Does anyone else think the whole trading Hidalgo to the Mets has something to do with Hunsicker's ties to that club? I SMELL CONSPIRACY! ;)

No but really, if you're freaking major league hitting coach and it's your job to help players, how the f is it that nobody noticed the wrist imperfection in Hidalgo's swing!!?!? Does this club not watch video?!?? It's sickingly pathetic.

Anyway, this team should be built around Berkman, Oswalt, Pettitte, Miller, Ensberg, and Everett. Add a couple of black people and then everyone will be happy for years to come. :D

8. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

man, how do you guys not even MENTION ausmus. he is far and away the worst player on our team and the biggest problem with our lineup for the past 2 years (although bagwell is putting in a strong push recently).

i cringe and get stressed out at the site of ausmus at the plate.

9. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Well give me credit; I did at least ask for a future catcher. :D

I think he's on the back burner since Astros fans havent had to expect much from the 2 position in 7 or so years. And what other teams would want or need him? I know he's an above-average defensive player, but still.

I would love to see one of the Molina brothers on this team though.

10. Agent27

Agent27 Member

And unfortunately what used to be one of his biggest assests (abillity to throw out baserunners) has comletely gone in the crapper the past 3 years.

He's throwing out 30% of basestealers this season compared to 35% last year, and 32% in 2002. The three previous years have were 47%, 47%, and 37%.

Also, in his first stint with the 'Stros and then with the Tigers he had a .270 BA. Since he's come back he's been around .235 every season.

He had a nice solid run from '97 - '00 but since then he's been absolute crap.

11. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

We already have a good catcher in the wings. Hector Gimenez.

Thought of as one of Houston’s best prospects. Ranked No. 6 in the organization by Baseball America. Hit .247 for Class A Salem in 2003, while also throwing out 38.9 percent of base runners. Was named the team’s Defensive Player of the Month for June and Offensive Player of the Month in May. Was a South Atlantic League All-Star for Class A Lexington in 2002. Hit .263 with 11 home runs for the Legends. Played for the Venezuelan Summer League Astros in 2001 where he was named an All-Star. Hit .278 with 34 RBI in 42 games there

http://roundrockexpress.com/team/?id=605

12. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Well, I hope so, but those number (in A ball) don't sound too exciting to me, regardless if he's just a catcher or not.

I can't calssify those number as 'good', but then again this is the first I've ever heard of him. I expect to hear more of this guy in the near future then.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

That's the one thing that irks me as well. Bagwell needs to be benched but they'll never do it because they have so much respect for what he's done in the past and all. And while it's good to honor a guy for his past service, sooner or later you find yourself in the situation that they find themselves in now: another wasted season with a team going nowhere. Bagwell is no longer the type of player who can help them out of this slump because his game appears to be in a state of decline. His BA is still respectable but he no longer gets the runs home.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Here's what I think needs to be done to have a shot at the playoffs ...

1. Jimy has to go, period. Spillman AND Lamont should be right behind. There is no fire to this team. I know that the hitting is the main culprit and Jimy can't make them hit. However, he does nothing to help. Spillman obviously caters to the veterans on the team and simply trusts that they know what they are doing. Lamont has to go because he is a Jimy clone and would not be able to do anything more to help.

2. Hire Don Baylor or Phil Garner and call Gary Gaetti up from New Orleans as hitting coach.

3. Whomever is the new manager needs to get a set lineup. No more of this changing it around every day. I know many of you will disagree with me, but Bagwell is best suited for the 3 hole. He will come out of this funk. let Beltran go back to his more natural spot as the 2 with Kent and Berkman interchangeable at 4 & 5.

4. Give Raul Chavez more playing time. We all know Ausmus cannot hit but that he WAS a great defensive catcher. This year he couldn't stop my dead grandmother from stealing 2nd. He isn't blocking balls in the dirt like he used to. He is simply becoming useless by the day. Chavez ain't a great hitter, either. However, he plays with unbelievable fire, kind of like if Jose Lima played catcher. He's got a good arm (I believe he has picked at least 2 off of 2nd!).

5. Don't worry about the division. The goal is simply to get to the playoffs. We are still about 4 games out of the WC. Worry about passing the Brewers. Then, worry about catching the Reds and Cubs one at a time. There are plenty of intradivisional games left. The opportunity is there. Win at home, split on the road.

Anything is still possible. A 2000 like second half tear is possible. This is going to be an interesting week in Astroland.

15. Buck Turgidson

I found out on Saturday that I'm moving to Costa Rica for the foreseeable future.

The trials & tribulations of the Astros don't seem so important anymore. :D

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It is interesting to note, that, so far this year Bagwell has hit best 3rd in the lineup, Kent 4th and Berkman 5th. Beltran hit 2nd in KC. It is beyond me as to why Williams made the batting order changes he has made (Kent's injury nothwithstanding). Granted, there is not enough of a sample, but why change the entire order to enable Beltran to hit 3rd, when he was hitting 2nd?

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I think JW is gone...It may be the best move to jump some life into them...

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I hate you.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

seriously???

20. Buck Turgidson

Yep. Maybe just for 2-3 months, maybe I stay & become a professional surf bum...who knows?