1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All-Rookie Teams Announced

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by foodworld, May 5, 2005.

Tags:
  1. foodworld

foodworld Member

First Team-
    Okafor
    Gordon
    Howard
    Deng
    Iguodala

Second Team-
    Josh Smith
    Josh Childress
    Nenad Krstic
    Jameer Nelson
    Al Jefferson

I know, not a big deal, but thoughts? I can't believe Childress got selected over J.R. Smith, or even Beno Udrih. By the first half of the season, most people had written him off as a bust.

2. foodworld

foodworld Member

BTW, I remember hearing before last year's draft that it was the weakest in years, and many GM's i.e. Isiah Thomas "researched" the draft and decided to trade their picks. But now it looks like an incredibly deep infusion of talent. What's up with that?

3. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They always say that.

Besides JR Smith and Ulrich there is still Livingston, Harris, Telfair, Varejao, Ariza, Duhon, Allen, West, Vassilis Spanoulis, and a handful of other Europeans that should become good players once they get used to the NBA. Overall there are maybe a couple of greats, a handful of All Stars, and a bunch of good players, that's a pretty good draft.

4. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Before, during, and after the draft a few posters on this board were slamming Jameer Nelson and saying he wasn't NBA material.

Having seen him play quite a bit here in Philly, I begged to differ.

It's good to see him prove the doubters wrong.

5. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Udrich and Jefferson should be on the 1st team, they're making a difference in the playoffs.

6. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

Where is Andres Nocioni??

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Where is Livingston?

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Udrich has zero business being a first team selection. He's averaging just under 6 and 2 in 14 mpg. That's underwhelming, to say the least, and I think he's a good pick for SA.

Al Jefferson did have a solid year and should have gotten more burn, but it's tough to put him above Deng (5 more PPG), and impossible to say he came close to Okafur and Howard.

Team success has little, and should have little, bearing on voting for these teams.

Only played 30 games because of his knee.

Victim of numbers, I guess. He did have a good year, arguably better than Jefferson.

Evan

9. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i like the childress pick but not josh smith. i like j.r. smith better.

10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Playing on a bad team should NEVER be used against rookies. Most good rookies go to bad teams, why use it against them that they can't turn that team around? On the other side you can't give credit to a guy like Udrich because he was lucky enough to get drafted by the Spurs.

11. tedwhite

tedwhite Member

Where is Chris Duhon?

12. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

You cannot be serious. I am comfortable when I say Josh is and will be better than JR. Truly I do not see what the noise is about JR. And for good measure check out their stats. Josh leads all rookies in blocks per game (and he is a small forward). Childress will not even be as good as Josh. JR Smith looks to me like another JR Rider [sp].

13. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

josh smith has no jumper what so ever. it's either a dunk or a.........dunk. he's a better rebounder and shot blocker but j.r. has a much more complete offensive game he has a good jumper but a lack of a PG hurt jr a lot. he didn't get a lot of really good looks. jr got much better as the season went along. i just see jr as a much more complete ball player in the long run. josh will have to work really hard at shooting and he can become good if he puts the work in but i still think jr will be a better player.