1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All-NBA Overrated Team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hokage5, Jun 22, 2010.

1. hokage5

hokage5 Member

Been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm always hearing people talk about how great some players are, but when I watch them and look at their statistics, I just don't see it. Feel free to comment, flame away, etc.

PG --> Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
    Obviously Rose is a very good player - I'm not saying he is bad. But way too often I have heard him hailed as the next great thing, and I just don't see it.
    Let us take a look at his stats last season on a slightly above-average Bulls team.

20.8 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 6 APG. 48.9% FG, 26.7% 3pt, 76% FT, .73 Steals, .35 Blocks, 2.78 TO.

Obviously Rose is a good scorer and shoots an impressive 49% from the field, but his 3pt % is just atrocious and he is absolutely not a threat form beyond the arch. FT shooting is average, but I personally prefer my PGs to be above 80% from the line.

Here are the stats that I am most concerned with, however. .73 steals per game to 2.78 TO per game. Steals are, in my mind, the most underrated stat, because it takes away a possession and gives you an extra one, for a maximum of a 6-point swing, not to mention momentum, etc. And I just don't think Rose is a good enough defender to lead a team deep in the playoffs.

SG: Vince Carter, ORL

Not going to post stats because over his career he has been very solid statistically. I am just going to go with the old question: Does he make his teammates better? And my opinion is no.

I was listening to sports radio the other day (when the magic were being eliminated by the Celts) and they used a great analogy. They compared Vince Carter to Matthew McConaughey. McConaughey is a guy who, if you put him in your movie, it has a good chance to be successful. He's flashy, girls like him, and he does pretty well at the box office. But when award season comes around, when has Matthew McConaughey ever won anything? That is Vince Carter: Flashy, but not a winner. When they announce the oscars nominees for best actor all those guys played a big part in a great movie. And that's why Matthew McConaughey hasnt been nominated, because who in their right mind would give him a nod for his performance in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days? Who would give Vince Carter an MVP nod for his best season on a 42-40 Nets team?

I will do the SF, PF, and C shortly

2. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

don't worry about it

2 people like this.
  3. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

not necessary.

4. been_exed

been_exed Member

Too many words for you to read?

5. hokage5

hokage5 Member

PF: Amar'e. Plays no defense and makes his teammates no better.

C: Andrew Bynum. So overhyped, would not shoot nearly as well from the field if he didnt play with Mamba/Pau. Was terrible all playoffs long, as well.

SF: Can't really think of one no one is that overrated.

6. Al Calavicci

No, I read it. I just thought singling out a single stat on a 2nd year budding superstar and using it to call him overrated is absurd.

Additionally, I don't know of ANYONE who overrates Vince Carter anymore. If this were 3 years ago maybe it would be relevant. Plus who the hell cares about Matthew McConaughey, even as a metaphor?

7. hokage5

hokage5 Member

- So who do you think is a more overrated SG?

8. Mr. Space City

Joe Johnson

9. hokage5

hokage5 Member

Gotta disagree, without Joe these hawks teams would have been terrible

10. Al Calavicci

Great choice. I agree.

11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

really??

cuz I can think of three that are constantly being overrated or called overrated depending on who you ask

Battier
    Ariza
    Budinger

12. Mr. Space City

cant the same thing be said for derrick rose as well?

13. hokage5

hokage5 Member

Jo Noah.

And honestly those Bulls teams were average

14. Mr. Space City

Al Hortford, Josh Smith, Jamal Crawford?

juss sayin. :p

15. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Really? You serious?

16. Al Calavicci

Just because they'd be worse without him doesn't make him overrated. He's talked about like a tier B superstar when at best he's C. Also manages to find new and innovative ways to not show up in the playoffs.

17. Chamillionaire

how is Noah overrated? he didn`t go to the all-star game. he`s been in the league, what 2 years? he isn`t getting paid the maximum.

how is Rose overrated?

[​IMG]

18. hokage5

hokage5 Member

No I don't think that Noah is overrated, if anything I think he's underrated. I meant that without Rose the Bulls would still have Noah...who is a great defender/rebounder and a good all-around player.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Well... they surely would have done better in the playoffs. He disappears every year...

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Cat pictures are reaching new lows.