1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All NBA Matchups #2

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsRed14, Jul 12, 2011.

?

Who Has The Better Team?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2011.
  1. BleedRocketsRed

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. VBG

105 vote(s)
    78.9%
  3. Authentic91

24 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. k-money

k-money Member

i just gave Authentic91 a 1 vote lead over VBG.

2. VBG

VBG Member

Well, true. Wilt would be a great matchup against Shaq.

But, I feel like Dwight is the only player built like prime Shaq. Shaq was still a little bigger (a fraction less athletic than Dwight). Dwight obviously has nowhere near the touch or offensive presence of Shaq but is a better team defender (leading a terrible Orlando team to a top 5 defense).

Like Mutumbo is a fantastic center but he's just not built enough to slow down prime Shaq.

Sure, Shaq > Dwight. But Magic > Isiah. Lebron > Dominique (defense is half the game. Barkley and McHale are both equal scoreres but Barkley can outrebound McHale. Ray Allen also does everything Reggie does, slightly better (better 3point% with more 3s per game which is what matters).

It is very tight though. I can't say with a straight face that my team would dominate his, but I think we would win.

3. authentic91

authentic91 Member

Dominique wasn't heralded for his defense, but to say he played none, is not true. He was a dominating force, and unstoppable on the boards and averaged more points and rebounds than bron bron.
    =

Dwight matches up agaisnt prime Shaq better than any center ever? No, that would probably be hakeem cause he's the only center who could do things that Shaq couldn't. Shaq played for a bit during the era of big men and was always dominating. The best player Dwight ever played against was Yao. Shaq is a top 3 center ever. Dwight isn't even top 10.
    Shaq> Dwight and it's not even close.

Mchale vs Barkley is more of a close call. Barkley was an insane rebounder, but that and his mobility was the only edge he had on mchale. Scoring, post moves(the best the 4 position has ever seen), blocked shots, and DEFENSE goes to Mchale.
    mchale > barkley.

You will not be able to score against my front line, in any way shape, or form.

My front line advantage is being overlooked.
    Only advantage you have is magic, but if he gets too hot, I can put joe D on him.

Also, You have no bench versatlilty. Do you plan on playing Barkley the entire 48? You have no back up 4. I have Wallace top throw in and become a defensive stopper on either barkley or dwight. As good of a rebounder Barkley was, Ben Wallace was even better. Paul Arizin averaged 25 points and over 11 rebounds at the guard/ forward position. A

My bench brings insane denfense, versaltlity, and rebounding. Something yours sorely lacks.

4. VBG

VBG Member

Well, either way, it's sad that we aren't facing each other in the finals.

91 - 90. Damn this is intense.

5. authentic91

authentic91 Member

+ 1.

Yeah I was disappointed when I saw the brackets, but either way, we know who the top two teams are:cool:

6. VBG

VBG Member

Dwight is athletic enough to guard the 4 and so is Lebron. So Barkley doesn't need to play all 48 minutes.

Ben Wallace will facing Yao Ming who is 10 inches taller than him. That is a very difficult matchup even for Big Ben.

Plus, he's useless offensively which will allow my team to help out more

7. k-money

k-money Member

95-95 tie.

8. VBG

VBG Member

If it's tied, BleedRocketsRed should get the deciding vote haha.

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Lol it is really tough but I am down.

When do these polls close?

10. VBG

VBG Member

Wow, down by 5 now. It keeps flip flopping. Hopefully I can come back again.

The poll said it will close in 3 days

11. VBG

VBG Member

Last ditch pitch if anyone hasn't voted -

With Barkley over McHale and Magic over Isiah my team should DOMINATE the rebounding battle which gives my team more opportunities.

This allows me to fastbreak as with Magic I will get most of the long rebounds as well.

My team is also A LOT FASTER than the other team. Barkley is gonna run circles around McHAle on the fastbreak and Dwight is also faster than Shaq prime (rookie Shaq was fast but this is Lakers Shaq)

Hope I can make up this 3 vote deficit

12. arjun

arjun Member

vbg..without a doubt

13. authentic91

authentic91 Member

you will not DOMINATE the rebounding with my front court being taller, bigger, and stronger. Barkley was strong, but he does not make up for the deficit of having Howard who would get killed by prime Shaq. I don't know why you think he would have any sort of advantage. If you go and look at the video I posted of Shaq, he was moving very nice in his young laker days. My front court would would have a major advantage in the halfcourt game, and you would never be able to stop me.

With Reggie out on the wing, Isiah penetrating and dishing the rock, Wilkins dunking on everybody and their momma, Mchale putting Barkley through the torture chamber(which is witnessed in my video of Mchale), and Shaq throwing them down on Dwights head, I feel that my offense is unstoppable, and incomparable. I have absolutely everything you could want.

14. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm the only person who voted for you.:confused:

15. VBG

VBG Member

Oh please. Stop talking about Howard as though he is a girl compared to Shaq.

Sure Shaq was dominant but that had to do with skill. Dwight is physcially the most ridiculous person since Wilt.

Wilkins - Lebron is such a big advantage for me with Lebron being an excellent defender and Wilkins being sub par. So Wilkins is gonna be torched on that matchup.

Your frontcourt is taller but so is pretty much everyone against Barkley. DID THAT STOP BARKLEY FROM BEING ONE OF THE BEST REBOUNDERS? I don't know what your argument is, almost all PFs are taller than Barkley and he still eats their lunch.

Shaq will dominate Dwight in scoring but rebounding and defense is gonna be even with Dwight getting a slight edge defensively.

Ray Ray can chase Reggie around, Wilkins cannot overpower or outspeed Lebron (Lebron actually plays defense), McHale - Barkley should be a scoring wash, but Barkley outrebounds.

Magic is gonna kill on the boards as well.

Come on, I've been realistic. Don't turn it into dunking on everybody.

I can make it,

Magic alternates throwing oops, sexy passes to Dwight, Lebron and Charles Barkley with Ray Allen making every shot if he's open.

16. VBG

VBG Member

Another thing I noticed is that your team apart from Reggie Miller CANNOT SHOOT from the outside consistently. The paint can be clogged up.

Lebron is a reliable outside shooter now to compliment Ray Allen. Barkley also has better range than McHale.

End of game I can go to Hack a Shaq. You can't really foul any of the players on my team who will have the ball in their hands.

17. authentic91

authentic91 Member

Wilkins does dunk on everybody. Also, all you have is the fast break. My team will kill yours in the half court game. You also only have one player who is definitively faster on your team and that being Barkley over Mchale, so please don't talk about hoe your team will run circles around mine.

18. authentic91

authentic91 Member

Hack a Shaq is for Pu**ies. And Lebron is no more of a better shooter than Wilkins. Also, Mchale, had plenty of range to space out the floor. I chose i pf who could do that for a reason.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You're only looking at the frontcourt. However, if VBG's backcourt (Magic/Lebron) is also going for rebounds, then he has the best overall rebounding team.

And since both Magic and Lebron are great at running transition offense, this makes them even more potent.

What if VBG started Yao and center and Dwight at PF? I think prime Yao would do a better job on prime Shaq than Dwight would. And Dwight is tall enough and athletic enough to effectively guard McHale.

Defensively, Ray Allen can contain Reggie (and vice versa). Wilkins' greatest asset is his athleticism, but Lebron's athleticism is at least on par with Wilkins'. So I think he can stay with Dominique.

Isiah could penetrate on Magic, but not if Magic gives him space. And since Isiah has always been a horrible 3 point shooter, that's what Magic would do.

Offensively, the biggest mismatch VBG has is Magic. Magic has 8 inches on Isiah. Yao could camp out ~17 feet from the basket to create space for Magic to post up Isiah. And since Yao is very capable of hitting an open 17 ft jumper, that would force Shaq to leave the paint.

And if Shaq switches to Dwight and McHale leaves the paint to guard Yao, VBG's team should reset the office and have Yao post up McHale. Yao is too tall and strong for McHale.

So how would you counter that?

And btw, that leaves VBG with a bench of Barkley, KJ, and Pierce vs your Wallace, Dumars, and Arizen. VBG has the decisive advantage there.

20. VBG

VBG Member

Damn, every time I tie the matchup. Authentic goes back up by 3 haha