1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All Nba Draft Round 1 Matchup #4 REDO

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by RedNation, May 2, 2012.

?

Which team do you think is better?

Poll closed May 3, 2012.
  1. Ricksmith

43.8%
  2. Spooner

56.3%
  1. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

It's the first round of the 2012 All NBA Draft. For this draft we used a $65 million salary cap and drafted a coach. All players are considered to be healthy. You are voting for the best team to advance into the second round. May the best team win!
    THIS IS TO REDO THE POLL BECAUSE OF THE CONTROVERSY

Spooner
    PG Derrick Rose
    SG Kevin Martin
    SF Grant Hill
    PF LaMarcus Aldridge
    C Roy Hibbert

Bench
    PG/SG Gerald Henderson
    SF/PF Al Harrington
    PF/C Chris Kaman

Coach Doug Collins

versus

Ricksmith
    PG-Russell Westbrook
    SG-Ray Allen
    SF-Paul Pierce
    PF-Nene
    C -Derrick Favors

Bench
    PG Mike Conley
    SG Jason Richardson
    PF/C Jordan Hill

Coach- Tom Thibodeau

2. VBG

VBG Member

By far the closest match. Will think about it before voting. Thibs can get the defense to work and I love RickSmith's team on offense.

3. Spooner

Spooner Member

I just don't understand how a center rotation featuring Derrick Favors and Jordan Hill could stop two All Star big men and Chris Kaman. In my second unit, he has no one who could match up with Al Harrington. This could cause a lot of problems. The only person who could guard him would be Pierce, and he is a starter. There is no way Richardson matches up with Harrington. I have Gerald Henderson to defend opposing 2 guards. He will play a large role in this series against Ray Allen. He also has 15ppg on .46 from the field. Grant Hill was an all defensive team selection, and should slow Pierce down to an extent. I know Westbrook has game, but I still believe Derrick Rose is the better player at this point, especially in regards to passing the ball. Kevin Martin is a very good off the ball player, he would not be the first, second, or even third option on this team. I just don't see how Smith would deal with all of my size including Harrington, Aldridge, Hibbert and Kaman. Nene, Favors, and Jordan Hill simply is not enough.

4. Jamers

Jamers Member

Huge difference in coaches but i'll still vote for spooner

5. RedNation

I think it's funny how people think WB is better than Rose.

6. Spooner

Spooner Member

Doug Collins is a pretty good coach.

7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Certainly more durable! :grin:

8. VBG

VBG Member

I've always thought they're about equal. Rose is better in the clutch (even though he misses a lotta clutch free throws).

But about equal overall. Westbrook is a better defender.

9. RedNation

Maybe equal. I don't even agree about that. BETTER?? No way.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Nene's size and athleticism would give Aldridge problems, and Hibbert isn't a true all-star. He was there for the same reason Jamal Magloire was.....everyone else was injured (Lopez, Horford, Bogut) or on a bad team (Chandler.) And Kaman was horribly inefficient with his 44.6% FG shooting.

Why not? Harrington doesn't create his own shot. He's a spot up shooter. He's not going to try to post smaller defenders.

What about when Kevin Martin comes into the game and has to guard Jason Richardson? Richardson would destroy him. Both Richardson and Allen are great off-the-ball players.

It's unfortunate for you that Rick's team has no offensively inept wings that Martin can guard.

And if you play Henderson a lot of minutes, who will run the offense for your second unit when Rose sits? Whoever he is, would he be able to keep up with Conley?

And fwiw, a starting wing lineup of Rose/Henderson/Hill poses absolutely no perimeter threat at all. Of those 3, Derrick Rose has the best 3 pt shooting % at 31.2%. That would allow Westbrook/Allen/Pierce to cheat on defense and help out against Aldridge.

11. Spooner

Spooner Member

By this logic, Hibbert would still be better than someone like Joakim Noah, who was on a good team but didn't make the All Star game. Due to those injuries, I feel I have a better center than most teams offer. Hibbert shot .479 with 2 blocks per game against true centers in the league. Not Derrick Favors. Aside from giving up 4 inches in size, favors is too raw to match up against a legitimate post threat in Hibbert. It just isn't feasible that Hibbert who has had much success against real centers this year, would be truly bothered by Derrick Favors and Jordan Hill.

Harrington can easily post up Richardson who is much smaller. He scored the ball very efficiently this year and was in the running for 6th man of the year. RickSmith would be forced to play Richardson at the 3, seeing as he has no backup at that position. There is no way Jordan Hill could guard Harrington.

Again, Richardson has to play minutes at the 3 as well, seeing as Rick Smith has no one else to man the position. Defensively between Grant Hill and Henderson, I feel I have enough perimeter defense. On the other side of the ball, I would be a little worried about Richardson's ability to stick with a prolific off the ball scorer in Martin. Should the defense collapse on Hibbert or Aldridge Martin can be relied upon to hit the three. He also has the ability to drive past Richardson.

I agree, however, most matchups should not pose this problem to this extent. I feel Henderson and Hill provide adequate perimeter defense, while I have 3 shot blockers in my paint.

As I said before, Henderson would spit time between the 1 and 2. In a 3 man rotation between Rose, Martin and Henderson, he will find time to guard both positions. While he is out, Rose will take the tougher assignment, and I gain an added scoring punch from Martin. I don't think much of Richardson's defensive abilities, so I would call it a wash. When Derrick Rose sits, I have two other ball handlers. Grant Hill is a good ball handler with court vision, and Kevin Martin can handle the ball well.

I disagree here. Henderson scored 15ppg on .49 mostly due to his midrange game. That is efficient scoring. Grant Hill has always had a good midrange game and can hit the three if he is left open. I feel there is enough spacing between the two, especially considering Rose' ability to collapse the defense. Martin and Harrington provide 3 point shooting when needed.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Hibbert can't create is own shot. Hibbert does have an advantage over Favors, but it's marginal. And the difference between Aldridge/Hibbert/Kaman and Favors/Nene/Hill isn't enough to offset the difference between the two backcourts.

Harrington doesn't have a post game. Just b/c he has the size to post doesn't mean he actually does it. If he doesn't do it in reality, how can you expect him to do it in these simulations?

Richardson's defense is like Ray Allen's....serviceable. But both far superior to Kevin Martin's defense. I don't think you understand how bad Martin's defense is.

No offense, but it sounds to me like you've never seen Kevin Martin play. You think he has Jason Richardson level defense and is a good ball-handler? The guy can barely dribble...

You're arguing against statistics?

Why are you focusing on mid-range games? If you're going to properly utilize Aldridge, you need to have perimeter threats to space the floor. If you're using this season as a benchmark, neither Rose, Henderson, nor Grant Hill can hit a 3 pointer.

How can Rose collapse the defense? Westbrook simply needs to guard Rose the way Lebron does...give him space. He can't hit the 3 pointer consistently.

Martin can shoot the 3, but that's a moot point since he'd get torched on defense. Against a team like Rick's where you have nowhere to hide Martin's atrocious defense, you'd be better off keeping him on the bench.

13. Spooner

Spooner Member

I don't get the Hibbert hate..... He was the anchor for a top 5 team this year. It isn't his fault he was on a good team, as a matter of fact, he was a big reason for their success. People sure like Marc Gasol, but if you stack them next to each other, they have very similar numbers.

14. RedNation

THIS IS CLOSE

15. Spooner

Spooner Member

Jordan Hill doesn't have the strength to matchup against any of my post players. It is fairly evident he isn't suited to play the 5, due to his very spotty defense and lack of strength. On thing Kaman has is size and strength. That is a big mismatch. Hibbert has a developing post game, and is fairly efficient against actual NBA centers. I think the matchup between Favors and Hibbert is more than a marginal difference. Also, I feel you are forgetting about just how unstoppable Aldridge can be. 21 ppg on .51 shooting is very solid. Nene could only hope to slow him down.
    I am also unclear as to how his frontcourt would be able to rebound effectively, given the fact that his best rebounder is quite possibly Derick Favors. Hibbert on the other hand, is among the league leaders in offensive rebounding. I have 4 players who can rebound the ball well.

Not necessarily true. In any case, he shot .446 from the field. He can score efficiently inside the three point line, and I have no idea how Richardson would stop him, given his size and lack of defense.

I do, however Martin is a much better offensive weapon. To me that is a wash.

Never said he was Richardson level defense. For me it is a wash because he is a superior offensive player. Martin has in fact, played back up point guard for the Rockets in spot minutes. To say he can barely dribble is a big understatement, especially considering his ability to take his man off the dribble and drive. Something he has done his whole career. Grant Hill is a good ball handler and would likely see time as a facilitator.

You're arguing against statistics?

We had decided that players would be judged by their impact and not statistics for this year. Grant Hill can hit a three pointer. He was very efficient last year. Rose was hitting a ton of threes in his last game before his injury. My point with Henderson is that he isn't just a slasher type. He has a very solid midrange game. With Rose, Henderson, Hill, Martin and Harrington, I don't think I need to worry too much about shooting.

We saw what happened on Saturday when they tried that.

Martin can guard the perimeter. Honestly, I think your assessment is a little exaggerated. He suffers when he is outmuscled or out hustled. If you are suggesting that Richardson beat Martin off the dribble, I just wouldn't happen often, seeing as that is not really his game. Martin can and will put a hand up against a perimeter threat. It isn't as if he is a bag of sand....

16. RedNation

Umm. What if you two tie?

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wouldn't be close if you did not have Grant Hill and Martin
    Martin too expensive, average production this season
    Both not defenders.... Would have gone with Sepholasho type and Gay, Parsons, Tony Allen, Stephen Jackson

18. Spooner

Spooner Member

Did you just say Grant Hill is not a defender?

He must have done something right, as he made the all defensive team this year.....

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You sure agree that he was better in his younger years, guy was a star.
    Kevin Martin ugh......just replace him.. and you are good to go.

20. Spooner

Spooner Member

I understand this is Clutchfans and people don't like Martin right now, but the guy is a legitimate starting shooting guard. Last year he was considered a top 5 shooting guard. Just because he suffered through injury this year, people have forgotten how good he has been in the past. Having Louis Scola and Samuel Dalembert really isn't a lot of post presence. Lamarcus Aldridge and Roy Hibbert provide much more size and shotblocking to compensate. In RickSmith's case, neither Ray Allen or Jason Richardson are really capable of putting the ball on the floor, therefore I don't believe it would be too much of a problem to begin with. At the very least, Martin can close out on shooters.
    Keep in mind Martin has had to shoulder the first option load. In this offense, he would be the 3rd of 4th option. He can easily hit open three pointers...

Grant Hill was all defensive team this year. Whether you agree with that or not, it at least shows that he has been stellar defensively this year.