1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All draft night deals

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mfclark, Jun 27, 2002.

1. mfclark

mfclark Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/story?id=1399443

Denver gets: PF Maybyner "Nene" Hilario (No. 7 pick)
    C/F Marcus Camby
    PG Mark Jackson
    New York gets: PF Antonio McDyess
    PG Frank Williams (No. 25 pick)
    2003 second-round pick

----------------

Golden State gets: PG/SG Jiri Welsch (pick #16)

Philadelphia gets: Future first-round pick
    Future first- or second-round pick

----------------

Atlanta gets: PG Dan Dickau (pick #28)

Sacramento gets: Future first-round pick

----------------

Orlando gets: PF Ryan Humphrey (No. 19 pick)
    C Jamal Sampson (No. 47 pick)

Utah gets: C Curtis Borchardt (No. 18 pick)

----------------

Memphis gets: SG Wesley Person

Cleveland gets: SG Nick Anderson
    SF Matt Barnes (No. 46 pick)

----------------

Toronto gets: PG Lindsey Hunter
    SF Chris Jefferies (No. 27 pick)

LA Lakers get: SF Tracy Murray
    SG Kareem Rush (No. 20 pick)

----------------

Philly gets: PF Mark Bryant
    SG John Salmons (No. 26 pick)
    SF Randy Holcomb (No. 57 pick)

SA Spurs get: PG Speedy Claxton

----------------

LA Clippers get: Increased protection from picks No. 17 to No. 21 on a draft pick the Clippers owed the Magic as a result of the Maggette/Strong/Dooling trade in June of 2000

Orlando gets: C Mario Kasun (pick #41)

----------------

Orlando gets: C Rashard Griffith

Milwaukee gets: PF/C Jamal Sampson (pick #47)

----------------

Milwaukee gets: a 2003 second-round pick

Memphis gets: SF Chris Owens (pick #48)

----------------

Trade analysis anyone??

2. Wasabi_sauce

Wasabi_sauce Member

Espn posted another trade, but it seems a little odd...

Philadelphia 76ers get:
    C Efthimios Rentzias (F.C. Barcelona)

Philadelphia 76ers gave up:
    2004 second-round pick
    2006 second-round pick

What's up with that? ;)

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

I'd say Euromania has officially hit the NBA. Philly probably gave up too much to get him, but they didn't want to be left behind.

4. Relativist

Relativist Member

I don't understand Philly. They drafted Welsch, and then they traded him and Claxton. Who's left at point? Snow?

Seems like the only guy they're coming out of this that could conceivably start is Salmons, maybe.

Maybe they're entering the Lebron sweepstakes too.

5. Trader Dan

Trader Dan Member

I think Philly will go after Hughes.

6. A-Train

A-Train Member

HAHAHAHA! Utah gets another white stiff!

I love Utah's thinking..."Well, we're not really happy with the slow, white guy.....so we'll get ANOTHER slow white guy!"

Oh man...I haven't said this in a while, so it feels extra nice...

I hate the Jazz!

7. RocksMillenium

Salmons is a 6-7 PG. He plays SG, but he is more then capable of running the point, even being a starting point.

8. Mango

Mango Member

What is Claxton supposed to add to the Spurs? Last year they took Parker and this year scoop up Speedy. Aren't they focusing a bit too much on one area?

Mango

9. vj23k

vj23k Member

That's what I was thinking...You would think that they would look for a replacement for Robinson or Smith. The Spurs could use a SF with some offensive skills badly.

Maybe Parker is on his way out?

I couldn't imagine Pop trading Jesus though.

10. mfclark

mfclark Member

I'd imagine the Spurs did the deal so that they could save cap space in the future to add another player alongside Duncan plus provide him with another young player with skills for when Duncan and Smith are gone.

Claxton will play backup point for the Spurs, something they needed coming into the draft. Daniels now slides over to the shooting guard spot and if Ginobili is all he's cracked up to be, he and Smith could alternate between SG and SF and solve the Spurs problems there, at least for now.

11. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Member

Unless McDyess has a worse injury than has been reported, this trade makes no sense. My take on this trade is that they traded McDyess for Hilario, a 37 year old PG, & a fragile, injury prone PF/C that hasn't played more than 63 games in any one season for his entire career. They also ended up giving away a PG (Williams), that was on the rise prior to draft day.

Jackson will be 38 years old about half way through next season. He's still playing well, but at 38 , his skills will most likely start erroding quickly.

Camby has been injury prone his entire career. That's while playing in the Weak Eastern Conference. Bringing him into the Western Conference, is just asking for trouble.

While Hilario is projected to be a solid player, there are no guarantees on him producing anywhere near McDyess's level.

I'm not saying that Hilario isn't a good acquistion, but am I the only one that believes they could've gotten a lot more for him?

Let's see, they traded away McDyess, LaFrentz, Van Exel, Abdul-Wahad, & AJ. They got back Howard, Harvey, Camby, Jackson, & Hilario. I don't get it. It's a shame that NugzFan got himself booted off the BBS, I'd really like to hear him justify these moves.

12. Mango

Mango Member

mfclark,

With Robinson nearing the end, it seems like they would have been better served getting a larger PG to come off the bench behind Parker. If they could have found a deal to trade down for 2 picks, take T Maddox and take a chance on a big man from among:

Gadzuric
    Sampson
    Boozer
    Baxter
    Jennings
    Andersen

Mango

13. mfclark

mfclark Member

Perhaps they could've been better served by doing that, Mango. They did trade away Salmons, Mark Bryant, and another 2nd rounder that they didn't need for Claxton, saving a little salary in the process. Daniels is a guard with some size, although he really won't be playing PG anymore. I guess they felt the talent from Claxton outweighs height at the point guard spot.

Don't forget they also nabbed Luis Scola at the end of the 2nd round, one of the forgotten European prospects. If he comes in immediately, he could be as good as those other post prospects you listed. I am surprised they didn't get a true center like Gadzuric, though. Guess there's always free agency.