1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All 9 MISSED foul calls by the refs against the Rockets an expertise needed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Jul 20, 2018.

1. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

Just be prepared for the counter argument from non Rocket fans.

0-27

Don't shoot the messenger.

LUK3 likes this.
  2. jch1911

jch1911 Member

While in the stat book it looks true, most Rox fans know about the Harden wave-off (of a 4 point play no less)

3. wesbound

wesbound Member

Fu*ck the refs a bunch of scumbags & Fu*ck the warriors dirty ass players. Gets me heated every time i watch this video.... all those blatant none calls were for sure good enough to cover the 9 point loss. And fu*ck your 20+ 3 miss argument.

GotGame15, True Rocket and hakeem94 like this.
  4. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

IMO this isn't about the outcome of the game or who should have won. It's about how the rules were broken, and finding a way to keep this from happening again (to us, or any team).

clutchdabear likes this.
  5. Red Nation RGV

WHY THE EFF POST THIS!! lol ... Dangit, I was all happy because I go on vacation next week and now I'm angry all over again smh. I just had to see this video (three times to be exact)

wesbound, rockets1995 and hakeem94 like this.
  6. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Remember this when you dismiss the Lakers in the playoffs this year, no amount of shot making and good play can overcome malicious officiating.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Bruce Bowen

Bruce Bowen Member

Out of curiosity, what rules were broken?

Unfortunately when you have humans officiating this can happen. Did the refs miss any fouls that should have been called on the Rockets?

My point is there are missed calls on both sides. Plus things happen in an instant and you don't have the luxury seeing things is slow motion. Referees have zones to watch and the require transitions when players move in and out of those zones. Sometimes things are missed plain and simple. This was not a conspiracy against the Rockets. Didn't they have an opportunity to in in game 6?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, when grabbing the arm of a jump shooter in a slow, isolation play outside the arc is not seen (two possessions in a row), the refs can say, "I was watching a zone."

Refs have zero excuse for missing some of these.

Please don't comment in general here. Comment on the 9 plays in the OP. Otherwise, there are plenty other threads about reffing in general. This one has a video of 9 plays.

What excuse can we give the Refs on these plays. I can give them some, but some of the 9 plays are as egregiously bad as it gets, in such an important moment of the biggest playoff series of THE YEAR.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Just be prepared for the fact THAT WHEN THEY WAVE OFF MADE SHOTS, ON THE GROUNDS THAT THEY ARE NOT GOOD FAITH ATTEMPTS AT SHOTS - it's really really easy to go on a 27 shot miss streak.

luckyman76, jch1911 and hakeem94 like this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's all about bucks, the rest is conversation

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That wasn't why it was waved off. It's just waved off for continuation rules reasons. I can't get in an ALL-CAPS rage about continuation rules. Klay was fouling him well before that famous screen shot with his arm still on him, as Harden's strength busts through the earlier part of the foul.

That said, I can show you a video of Curry getting that very same AND-1 continuation in that series. Fouled well before he got the ball in his "upward shooting motion." Now THAT...pisses me off.

#31 heypartner, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    YOLO likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think the calls generally went the Warriors way in Game 7, but to post this without further context is dumb:

1. Every game has lots of missed calls, both ways. There were missed calls on the Warriors, too. Or calls that were questionable. Recall Klay got 3 fouls early. While each one could be considered a foul, it also wouldn't have been crazy if one of the latter 2 was "missed" or just a non-call.

2. Team play and aggression can often dictate ref style. I think in game 7 (and game 6), the Warriors came out with a different mindset in halftime, and the Rockets came out "scared" so to speak, Warriors get on their roll, and calls change. It's the nature of the beast. Or in other words, if I'm deciding between the calls changing leading to the Warriors 3rd quarter performance, or the Warriors 3rd quarter performance starting to lead to the calls changing, I'm going with the later. AGAIN... this doesn't mean one (or two) freaking BLATANTLY obvious moving screens that weren't called are no big deal. They clearly are/were.

3. The Harden effect. Dude get a ton of calls. He shot more FTs in the last 4 years than I believe Steve Nash did in his entire 18 year career. And he of course specializes in finding ways to draw fouls and draw refs into calling - mostly legitimate - fouls. That's got to be tiring as a ref. ESPECIALLY when the league then in the offseason and pre-playoffs/series reviews things to look out for, and those include things like don't be baited into fouls on three pointers. AGAIN... a foul is a foul is a foul and it shouldn't matter... but we have to be aware of fact. In other words, in my view, it's less about the league wanting a GSW juggernaut and more about the stark reality that our star MVP player needs to adjust to playoff foul calls better and not keep jacking threes especially on attempts to draw fouls.

4. It was 22-14 on FTs in the Rockets favor. Steph shot 0 FTs in BOTH games 6 and 7. He shot 14 FTs the whole series. James had 17 in games 6 and 7 alone. AGAIN... a foul is a foul is a foul, and Steph doesn't drive or bait legit fouls nearly as much as Harden... but again, there were certainly missed calls both ways...

5. 0-27 :) That's just what the record books will always say.

6. Trevor Ariza

7. CP3 hammy

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Man, that game was f-cking rigged, but I'm still angry that Harden would try to get calls from refs that had no intention of calling the game fairly. Rockets were still up double digits half way through the 3rd qtr.

If Harden bust out his mid range turn-around that made him an MVP candidate, and not rely on the refs calling LEGITIMATE F-CKING FOULS, that lead is maintained...

14. LUK3

LUK3 Member

These threads put me on a Level 7 Depression.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Too soon.

hakeem94 and LUK3 like this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The NBA doesn't WANT Golden State to win. They don't care either way.

But what I THINK happened... the NBA wanted to ensure a close game from the start to keep viewers from flipping over. So, they officiated in a way that was favorable to the Rockets (Klay was in foul trouble, we got to proper continuation calls, etc). But, we jumped out HARD. They had to correct the course to make sure they didn't ensure a Rockets victory.

The result was several head scratching calls in the 2nd half.

But yeah, those missed 3's... that's on us. No doubt.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Those 3 fouls on Klay were for the stat sheet comparison between 2 teams

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Of course it was *nominally* deemed continuation (of course, even under that framework he was in his shooting motion when the contact occurred, as you note) - but teh spirit of the continuation rules is supposed to stop guys from jacking up prayers in hopes of getting 3 cheap FT's.

If your prayer answered - the spirit of the continuation rule is by operation of law and justice, fulfilled - count the basket.

heypartner and hakeem94 like this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The league is not interested in fairly officiating games, and they likely never will be. I would advise everybody to move on.

luckyman76 and hakeem94 like this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

No doubt, I remember the machine gun fouls on Ariza. Ariza was repeatedly "fouling" Kevin Durant's elbow with his face. ;) Or in some cases, being wrestled down and called for the foul. It was just one after the other, after the other, after the other.

pippendagimp likes this.