1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ali controversy swept under the rug??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Old School, Dec 21, 2001.

Tags:
  1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Ali will speak every now and then. A few months ago, he spoke during the televised WTC benefit.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They have the white people awards...they're called the Oscars.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Also, racism was widely accepted in our society as little as 40 years ago...hell, RichRocket's been around a lot longer than that!!

:) :D

4. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

The true test for this debate should be the following question-

Could Dan Issel (before his unfortunate remark) have stood up in front of a crowd and told the same joke that Ali told without an outcry?

Of course not. White people are held to a different standard when it comes to racist conduct. Like many things in life, it is not fair. I won't worry about it to much though. I won't be affected as long as I don't practice racism.

5. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Damn, the steps to global enlightenment are sure small...

RR

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Man, you people simply need to get a sense of humor. It was a friggin joke you asses!! I don't hear you b****ing about Chris Rock, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, Jerry Seinfeld, etc. when they tell ethnic jokes. And please save the argument about the forum in which the joke was told because everyone knows what kind of person Ali is and shouldn't expect him to act any different because of his condition.

Whites, blacks, hispanics, asians, indians and whoever else I forgot are all equally ignorant and not only racially ignorant. There will always be some moron who thinks he is better than the next guy. It's a fact of human nature that we all must strive to overcome and humor is a simple beginning.

Also, perception is a big key because no matter how many of your friends can say that you aren't racist, prejudice, whatever, there is always someone else that could take your comments out of context.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I just had to reply and start a race riot. :)

I think the primary difference in what is racist and what people should just "get over" is in how people conduct themselves on the whole. My grandfather is a racist because he conducts himself in such a way that he would discriminate against black people at the drop of a hat without any thought as to it being wrong.

Then there are people who let things go here and there that are racist in tone but say they aren't racist. I'm not inclined to believe they are but I do know some guys who make racially tinged jokes and get indignant over things like affirmative action saying it hurts all us white guys. These are usually the same guys who make chauvanist comments too that would make my wife want to slap the crap out of them.

In my experience, they are all talk. They'll say it to vent with their buddies or to make a laugh, but they are probably saying, "Yes, dear" an awful lot at home and would NEVER in a million years think about dropping the N-word in front of a black person though they might use it with their white friends.

I, personally, would not question someone offended by a racist remark if they or their race was the target of it simply because I have no idea what it is to walk in their shoes.

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Mira Sorvino, John Leguizamo, Michael Rapaport, John Turturro, Danny, Aiello, Annabella Sciorra, Tim Robbins, Harvey Keitel, Debi Mazar, Milla Jovovich, etc. etc. etc. .... Yeah he only hires black people for his films.

:rolleyes:

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Sorry, Da, but you walked right into that one.

10. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

Da Dakota, if your Spike Lee error is the only fault somebody can find in your argument, you must have argued well.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If anyone had doubted that Jewish people do have a great sense of humor, this is the proof. :)

12. Lil Pun

It's not the only fault, trust me but it was the one that I could disprove the quickest and easiest. ;)

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Lil Pun,

Sorry I was not clear enough, I meant for BEHIND the camera work. The grips, and camera operators etc..etc..

DaDakota

14. Lil Pun

How do you know this? :confused:

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It was a pretty big deal a couple of years ago, our company was making Wing Commander the movie, and everyone was talking about it as a reverse racism sort of thing. I actually think he is just helping people get into the industry.

My point is that anyone that does this is simply wrong.

DaDakota

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cause he figured that no one would question him and that it would help his point. :)

17. Lil Pun

I think it's wrong if he is giving them jobs because they're black or if he chooses not to hire whites or any other race but if he is giving them the chance to work and nobody else is I don't see anything wrong with that because it is sort of the same thing Ron Howard does with Clint Howard, just giving his brother a chance, you know what I'm saying?

18. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

As a master of the cult films, Clint deserves all the work he can find. Ron is lucky to have such a viable commodity at his dispense.

19. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Actually I'm not white and I can see the basis of this argument. If a black guy makes a joke about whites on TV then it's good comedy. If a white guy does it, all hell breaks loose. That's simple truth.

I was actually thinking about it recently as I was watching TV. On one of Disney's family channels (Zoog) there is an animated show called "The Proud Family" about a black family. No big deal. Now imagine if the show was about a white family.

I have no sympathy for racism I think it's an albatross that only prevents people from a greater intelligence. I don't think it's right when a company only hires someone because of their skin color and that includes affirmative action, but I know the most qualified doesn't always get the job so really I offer no solution except somehow finding a way for people to apply for a job without revealing their race.

Bottomline is this. The past shapes our future and it can't be ignored, but we can't live in it. It is not alright for anyone to justify serious racism on any end. At the same time I think some things are taken too serious. No race's history is clean. Maybe those who look into the eyes instead of the skin will make the future a better place.

I'm Jerry Springer goodbye and take care of each other. ;)

20. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Another great use of the internet. :)