1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alexander's excuse for not signing deke doesnt add up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FFz, Dec 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ABZERO

ABZERO Member

We definitely need Deke to add more size. But if Les doesn't want to spend that much money on Deke, can we at least get a big body from D-league? CJ watson,Kelenna Azubuike,Mikki Moore were D-league players before and they are serviceable. That's why I still believe there're still some good players in the D-league.

BTW, did we acquire the right for a French center that got dunked on by Carter ? I know he probably sucks but we can try him out and dump him if he sucks that bad.

2. jpapi0022

jpapi0022 Member

Yo stop complaining the guy makes 2 million whoopdie do....

As for this thread i agree something doesn't seem to add up cause first of all Morey said something about we will sign him when we have roster spot for him blah blah blah. We trimmed the roster down and we don't even have 15 players on the team. Now its trim salaries down cause we don't want to go over the tax. Then he says he will go over it for a great great player but to him Deke isn't a great great player anymore.. That right there makes me think Mutombo will go somewhere else. Why would he want to sign with a team when the head boss man doesn't think he is a great player. :( Don't expect him to sign here. hopefully im wrong but i wouldn't get my hopes up

3. leebigez

leebigez Member

Shroopyx- Barryy made no sense. He slow, weaak, and old. The spurs didn't even wan him back. The rox wwasted their money on him when they shouldve signed a big. Hell, they couldve signed elson for 1.3m out the box and Barnes for 1.2 then trade head for salary dump and hayes to ff needed.

4. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Member

All you people saying we don't need Deke remind me of the people who were willing to let landry walk because we had just drafted Dorsey.

Deke was huge for us last year, like Landry, like Rafer, and people just forget it like it never happened. Did ya'll even watch the games? What happens when Yao gets into early foul trouble in the playoffs against a long athletic team like the Lakers?

We can get away with playing Scola and Landry together against most of the league during the regular season, but against the elite teams, there will be spots where we wish we had Deke. Us not signing him, to me, would be as bad as the Spurs giving away Scola because of the money. Of course, the difference there is that the spurs had already won multiple rings without Scola, while we at this point are wannabes trying to get over the hump.

With our window closing, we should be making every move we can to get an edge in order to win now, and we're not going to find better size and defense than Deke at his price tag.

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Luther Head who's weak, slow decisions and epic choke. Or Brent Barry, even if older one of the best shooters in the league and 2x championship contributor. Only saying Barry makes sense of that clump of expendable Rockets mentioned, didnt necessarily say any of that clump are sensible to keep over a 6-10+ big man (except Mbenge).

The same method you said of get someone then get rid of someone afterward, I'm saying that about Barry. Expect they didnt actually trade anyone else (yet maybe). (And in truth, to myself I though the Barry thing almost seemed like Barry was one of Morey's favorite players from watching B-Ball in his college days or something)

6. Splash

Splash Member

We're in the month of December and you're already ready to bash Morey for the Barry signing? We got him for May and June. Waaaay too premature there.

7. leebigez

leebigez Member

Splash-I bashed morey when they looked barry way.I like, but the rox had bigger needs. In the playoffs, utah exposed our smallish size, lack of quicknees and atheleticism . Barry answered nonee. Sa has tried to get rid of him since they signed him. H can't defend, he can shoot if he's open, but his liabilityy outwigh his strength . The only guy with size has missed 90 games the last 3 yrs. There were better players than barry if they needed a wing. They knew earlier deke wasn't coming back,so why the wait?

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I know. He is as much of a "banger" as anyone in the league. He is also slow, not explosive and is not the all-around defender that Chuck is. Remember, he has the benefit of playing next to Garnett. Nobody ever heard of Perkins before he had the MVP Candidate, DPOY next to him.

It just gets old to hear people in general (not you) say things like "we can't match up with Pau/Bynum" or "we will be knocked out of the first round" when they talk about not having Deke. As has been mentioned before, if Yao is out then it doesn't matter who replaces him. The team won't get far in the playoffs without Yao.

A big backup would be nice but a scrub who won't play many games at all and will probably average less than 8 minutes a game isn't the key to this team winning it all. I think Deke gets a pass because he is a nice guy and he occasionally puts together an impressive 2-3 defensive plays in a row but the fact remains he didn't play much last year because he is a liability much of the time due to many teams going small.

9. Blake

Blake Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/pgl.cgi?player=mutomdi01&year=2008

looked like a pretty good backup center to me...and a good player to have when Yao went down. Look at his blocks

It amazes me that you think we are not better off with him...even for a few minutes a game.

I can think of a few games this year where teams were driving on us at will (Clippers) and having a defensive presence out there in the middle with Yao on the bench would have really helped.

Just because he comes off the bench or plays limited minutes doesn't mean he isn't valuable to our team...

And there is no one better out there. We need another big man to back up Yao.

10. jebustheomlet

jebustheomlet Member

you suck. i hate you.

11. wireonfire

wireonfire Member

I don't think you know Perkins' game that well. He is quite athletic for his size, 1.8 blocks in 28 mins for a 6'10 280lbs guy is quite good. And he is an underrated offensive player. He has quite a few moves in the post. Bynum was having a great year last season before he got hurt, but he was owned by Perkins in their matchups. Chuck is a great defender, but he is simply too small, size or bulk, really not ideal to defend dominant bigs like Duncan, Shaq, Bynum.

Lakers have four 7 footers, not to mention 6'10 Odom, we only have one. Yao is not durable. We need size besides Yao, period. No one is asking Deke to replace Yao, just to back up Yao in the few minutes Yao is not on the court or in foul trouble. We are still playing Yao too many minutes some times because of bigger matchups. Go check Deke's numbers last season, he was still rebounding and blocking shots at a very high rate. He is even better than Chuck on offense.

12. joesr

joesr Member

the post right after this one that your replying to was my post as well because I forgot to add something but apparently you didnt read the very next one I guess.

Let me save you the trouble.

13. joesr

joesr Member

Im sorry but do you know something about Dorsey we dont? I mean.....have you seen him play and he wasnt good? There was a long period of time where Landry wasnt playing and no one knew if he could take Hayes minutes last year.

14. djperm

djperm Member

With Yao's history of missing games...Mutombo provides depth, versatility, and insurance, without the Rox having to scramble for size at the last minute if Yao was to go out again.

Twin Tower Effect: We are a Big team with both of them and a small team without them.

"The Rockets had the fourth best defensive team in the NBA giving up just 92.0 points per game. They won on the road (24-17) and won at home (31-10). They were tied for the best rebounding mark in the league with 44.6 per game as a team. They also had the second highest rebounding margin in their favor by out rebounding their opponents by 4.0 per game. They allowed the second lowest opponents’ field goal percentage. The Rockets allowed the second fewest three-point attempts and the fourth fewest three-pointers made per ball game. This was a total team effort for a team that was led by a primarily offensive minded coach"

http://www.talkhoops.net/Houston_Rockets/Rockets_Preview_0809.html

Good insight but the rest of his article is rubbish...

Would the Rox have achieved their 22 win streak , 55 wins, home court playoff advantage without Deke?

Maybe not.

I think Deke's contribution to last year's Special yet disappointing season(post-season injuries to Yao, Rafer, Francis, and Tmac/Battier far from 100% health) in itself should warrant Les to pay extra for him.

On the bright side, we now have Artest, an improved bench, everyone getting back to form, and one year of Adelman seasoning. Worst case scenerio, size wise, if Yao is out for any part of the post season, we can still make a strong run with Mutombo. :)

BottomLine: KeepDeke

15. Avicenna76

Avicenna76 Member

Good! Now please tell Les and Morey of this hypothetical scenario. :D

16. txppratt

txppratt Member

try to look at the bright side: deke could only contribute on one end of the floor.

those one dimensional players have really faded out of the rockets plans since the JVG era came to a close...

hayes is the last one...

love deke for his defense and rebounding. but also acknowledge that we were playing 4 on 5 with deke on the court on the offensive end.

17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Deke not only contributes on the floor when we play a big team like Lakers, but he is a lock room leader. The players respect him, and he can do more something besides getting a few more rebounds. Get real, this team needs Deke, the past has shown it.

18. wireonfire

wireonfire Member

Deke is better than Chuck offensively. He has a jump shot and makes his free throws.