1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Rodriguez vs. The World

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, Jan 11, 2014.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I know this was posted in the Biogenesis thread, but it's A-Rod, and this is probably just the beginning of his war with Major League Baseball.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>A-Rod more on an island than ever after players association said it respects the process, which means it wants nothing more to do with this.</p>&mdash; John Harper (@NYDNHarper) <a href="https://twitter.com/NYDNHarper/statuses/422061500304338944">January 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"162-game suspension? Whatevs, I'll show up to Spring Training anyway. Who's gonna stop me?"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources in A-Rod camp &quot;100% certain'' he'll be at spring training and Yankees can't stop him</p>&mdash; wallace matthews (@ESPNNYYankees) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNNYYankees/statuses/422065094734786560">January 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

But wait, it gets better. He's planning to take this to federal court.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>A-Rod gets 162 game suspension (the 2014 season). Says will &quot;exhaust all options&quot; in Fed court. Judges rarely overturn arbitrator rulings.</p>&mdash; Maury Brown (@BizballMaury) <a href="https://twitter.com/BizballMaury/statuses/422050509252341760">January 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>A-Rod has slim chance of getting court to enjoin the decision or to overturn it, explained here: <a href="http://t.co/zMTC664Q9a">http://t.co/zMTC664Q9a</a></p>&mdash; Wendy Thurm (@hangingsliders) <a href="https://twitter.com/hangingsliders/statuses/422050415887126529">January 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Statement on Decision of 162 game ban <a href="https://t.co/77wqoTHnId">https://t.co/77wqoTHnId</a></p>&mdash; Alex Rodriguez (@AROD) <a href="https://twitter.com/AROD/statuses/422052382436896768">January 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

Alex Rodriguez Statement on Decision of 162 game ban

“The number of games sadly comes as no surprise, as the deck has been stacked against me from day one. This is one man’s decision, that was not put before a fair and impartial jury, does not involve me having failed a single drug test, is at odds with the facts and is inconsistent with the terms of the Joint Drug Agreement and the Basic Agreement, and relies on testimony and documents that would never have been allowed in any court in the United States because they are false and wholly unreliable. This injustice is MLB’s first step toward abolishing guaranteed contracts in the 2016 bargaining round, instituting lifetime bans for single violations of drug policy, and further insulating its corrupt investigative program from any variety defense by accused players, or any variety of objective review.

I have been clear that I did not use performance enhancing substances as alleged in the notice of discipline, or violate the Basic Agreement or the Joint Drug Agreement in any manner, and in order to prove it I will take this fight to federal court. I am confident that when a Federal Judge reviews the entirety of the record, the hearsay testimony of a criminal whose own records demonstrate that he dealt drugs to minors, and the lack of credible evidence put forth by MLB, that the judge will find that the panel blatantly disregarded the law and facts, and will overturn the suspension. No player should have to go through what I have been dealing with, and I am exhausting all options to ensure not only that I get justice, but that players’ contracts and rights are protected through the next round of bargaining, and that the MLB investigation and arbitration process cannot be used against others in the future the way it is currently being used to unjustly punish me.

I will continue to work hard to get back on the field and help the Yankees achieve the ultimate goal of winning another championship. I want to sincerely thank my family, all of my friends, and of course the fans and many of my fellow MLB players for the incredible support I received throughout this entire ordeal."

[​IMG]

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

It you're suspended for substance, is this with out pay?

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

This is a without-pay suspension. So the Yankees don't owe him $25 million this season.

4. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm ready for this story to be done with, if for no other reason than the fact that there is no protagonist here.

On one hand, it appears that A-Rod was clearly cheating, there's just too much smoke there, and his threats to sue anyone and everyone come across as desperate.

But on the other hand, I don't think MLB has handled the situation particularly well. Whether it's truly the case or not, it looks like they really were out to get A-Rod and that they were going to find a way to sit him out until at least the end of the 2014 season at any cost.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm guessing the Yankees did a jig when the suspension was handed down.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Kind of sad what happen do this guy. I don't get why guys like him and bonds did steroids. I think these guys were HOF without the roids, but they aren't happy with 40/40 they need to go for 70 hrs.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

A-Rod is a complete a-hole, but I want him to win just so the Yankees have to deal with this joke and pay him all of his salary.

8. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Where is the evidence of him taking PEDs from that other fraud, Bosch??

Doesn't seem like enough evidence to me, he should only get 50 games max.

9. underoverup

underoverup Member

This is like the Lance Armstrong saga all over again. :rolleyes:

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I am sure he is guilty but MLB pulled some shady **** paying off people in order for them to tell what they knew or what MLB wanted to hear.

I also hope he gets off so the Yankees have to pay him, because not only did they resign him when he opted out of the overpaid deal he signed with Texas but those fools gave him a raise.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Well this came as a shock.

Baseball America: A-Rod to sue MLB, MLB Players' Union to try to have his suspension overturned.

Rodriguez camp alleges that suspension was handed down without just cause.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Executive Director Tony Clark's statement re: Alex Rodriguez's lawsuit against the Players Association: <a href="http://t.co/XzFB02I9s5">http://t.co/XzFB02I9s5</a></p>&mdash; MLBPA (@MLB_PLAYERS) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLB_PLAYERS/statuses/422889718162792448">January 14, 2014</a></blockquote>

"It is unfortunate that Alex Rodriguez has chosen to sue the Players Association. His claim is completely without merit, and we will aggressively defend ourselves and our members from these baseless charges.

"The Players Association has vigorously defended Mr. Rodriguez's rights throughout the Biogenesis investigation, and indeed throughout his career. Mr. Rodriguez's allegation that the Association has failed to fairly represent him is outrageous, and his gratuitous attacks on our former executive director, Michael Weiner, are inexcusable. When all is said and done, I am confident the Players Association will prevail."

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

MLB doesn't want ARod hitting any more milestones. Bad enough to have Barry Bonds as your HR champion.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Bud Selig knows he will go down as the steroid commissioner so he is going to do everything he can to nail Arod. There is just too much evidence against him.

15. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Lol.

There isnt "too much" evidence against him.

He never tested positive and the MLB basically paid Bosch to say what people wanted to hear.

16. juicystream

They have text messages and written documents.

And to be fair, ARod tested positive a decade ago.

17. Anticope

Anticope Member

Isn't this why players went to Biogenesis? To take PEDs without testing positive? So "he never tested positive" isn't a legitimate argument when that is exactly why players were going there in the first place.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

With all the drug users in MLB, why do people even bother watching/following it?

Its a disgraced league.

19. juicystream

NFL? :confused:

20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Yes, I'm sure all the other leagues are beacons of integrity.