1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Rodriguez tested postive for Steroids

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Legend Killer, Feb 7, 2009.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

And this is why the NBA is joke and will never be in the same class as the NFL. In the NFL , for the most part it doesn't always matter who ends up the Super Bowl. People are going to watch or be apart of regardless, even if it is the Lions and Raiders playing in it. But, that would mean those teams beat two or three other teams who were worthy of playoff spot and played great down the stretch. With the Super Bowl, there's always story to tell with so many franchises and players in the NFL.

With the NBA (like MLB), there's no real buildup, if everyone just wants to see two or three teams win or play for the championship. What's the point of having the season...when it is clear the league/media/some fans believe it is in the league's best interest. People thought it would've been armeggedon, if we had to watch a Portland/Indiana or Sacramento/New Jersey NBA Finals. That's another problem I see, people say that you need a great franchise, like the Lakers or Celtics in the NBA Finals or superstar caliber player, like MJ or Magic to have great success in the ratings. Yet, if you look over to College Basketball with much more inferior players and less revenue...why are the ratings always high...

I know March Madness...but why can't the NBA create frenzy around the playoffs of NBA Finals. Why not put teams at neutral sites in the championship or have the league do a better job of promoting teams over superstars.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I tried to state the obvious that a player probably would juice up to keep up w/ the young kids that comes in. But I guess I'll state the 2nd obvious reason and the reason that others have stated already: $$$. "But he already has that $252 mil deal when he was at Texas so why juice up???" I'm sure he knows that if maintains that torrid hitting pace, another monster contract would be waiting for him and it did.

3. Christopher

Christopher Member

Its interesting because the NBA is so far ahead of other American sports when it comes to globalization, its just no contest. That's not by luck either, that's been a lot of hard work on the NBA's behalf for fover 20 years.

Yet, in the U.S. it has its problems as far as perception and marketing goes.

Just on baseball, MLB is dead to me also. I mean who cares about a competition where the big factor is who can get the better prescription? Then they pretend they are trying to get drugs out of the sport...please! The MLB made more money out of the roids era than any of the players ever did!

At least in the NFL they dont try and sugar coat things. Everyone knows what goes on, you get tiny little suspensions if caught, and thats that.

As an Aussie its all amazing to me. Over here if a player got caught taking steroids they could look forward to at least one year on the sidelines, most likely two. Hell they get bans for taking cold medication if they are not careful.

We had a Rugby League player here about ten years ago that was a decent enough player. He started taking steroids and become a world beater. He got found out, and did a year on the sidelines. When he come back he was a shadow of his former self.

The effects of steroids should never be downplayed, they can turn very average players into supermen.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Another big hit to a sport whose credibility and significance are hanging by a thread.

#44 baller4life315, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  5. yobod

yobod Member

Yet another reason why Bud Selig needs to be exported to the deepest parts of hell. He and David Stern are two of the biggest con-artists sports has ever seen, and they have also had the greatest impacts.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm no big Baseball head by far
    but
    when the guy on the mound is juicing
    The guy behind it is juicing
    they guy in center field is juicing

you standing naturally at the plate . . and that 100+ fastball
    Whiffs you
    or you are gunned down stealing Second
    Or a for sure homerun is taken by an unbeleivable leaps
    you start thinking

a little more speed on the turn of the bat
    and little more UHMF toward second
    2 more feet on that long balll

Baseball, Like Football is a game of inches
    and
    what are you willing to do for that extra inch?
    Some folx want it more than others

If we found out MJordan used some mythical drug
    that made him so great . . .it would diminish him in alot of folx's eyes
    sometimes
    folx wanna be #1 . .. not 'in the conversation'

I guess what I'm saying is
    Everyone wants the ULTIMATE COMPETITOR
    well . . .Steriods are the tools of the ULTIMATE COMPETITOR
    . . .or so it would seem

Rocket River

7. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

I can't believe it took as long for someone to say "A-Roid" as it did.

Are we slippin'?

Anabolic Rodriguez

8. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

Im saying the NFL is the same story, a few teams over and over. Buffalo Bills 4 straight super bowls. The patriots seem to be there every year this year Brady was out. Mid 90's was cowboys/niners time. It's just the NFL has so much hype bc people love watching people get hurt, tell me you don't get fired up watching that video of sean taylor destroying the punter in the pro bowl. San Antonio doesn't have kobe or bron so there's no big dunks, it takes a real fan to enjoy the execution they have. Watching San Antonio lockdown LeBron in the finals a few years back was a thing of beauty, but sadly most people just wanna watch LeBron throw down on duncan instead.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

:confused:
    A-ROD is massive? Umm...

10. Major

Major Member

I'm more interested in the other 103 names on that list. Also interesting that out of about 750 MLB players (25 players x 30 teams), 104 tested positive (14%).

11. TheBigAristotle

Huh???

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

His nickname is A-Rod -- of course he did some roids.

13. triplet

triplet Contributing Member

I say A-Rod is in naturally-good shape -since he has been working out with Madonna.

14. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

This. MLB made a spectacle with the (mostly useless) Mitchell Report and why should Arod be the fall guy for a leaked, anonymous and confidential list.

15. TheBigAristotle

No doubt. If A-Rod is going to be made the poster boy for the steroid era, those names on that list should also be released. Forget confidentiality if these players are ruining the sport and if Selig is getting a big cash bag at the end of the day.

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I don't blame A-Rod one bit for taking steroids in 2003. It was the system he played in. All the big hitters took them. If other players got an edge taking them, you could argue he was duty-bound to take them as well to be the best player he could be under the system in place. He wasn't just helping his hall of fame numbers; he was helping his team. As Jim Rome would say: "If you're not cheating, you're not trying."

Same goes for cyclists, up until recently. You couldn't compete without taking EPO, since all the top cyclists were taking it. The same is still true for bodybuilding. You have to take gobs of roids to complete at the highest levels of bodybuilding. Unless you want to compete in the "all natural" competitions, which are second-tier competitions and get no play. Auto racing has its analogies as well, other than it's the car you juice, not the body, if others are doing it and the rules aren't being enforced. The same used to be true for the WWE, too, as you had to take steroids to keep up with the rest of the wrestlers.

Thankfully, now the playing field is level, with mandatory testing, so players don't have to put their health at risk to be able to compete. It great that cycling has cleaned up its act, too.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

When I look at that guy, I have a hard time believing he didn't/doesn't use steroids at some point.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Cred is your own judgment.

But significance? MLB's revenues are on par with the NFL's. Teams are packing ballparks like never before, even in the wake of the steroid mess. Baseball is hugely significant on the pro sports landscape and is having a far greater impact in terms of revenues, attendance and viewership than the NBA is. (assuming you're judging this against NBA)

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've long taken it for granted that Pujols does 'roids.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"the ladies like the longball . . " the old commercial

No one likes a defensive struggle
    except PURIST
    a 0-0 game in the NFL to the common fan is boring
    like Mike Fratelloe 46-51 games in ATL
    that said
    no one wants to really watch a Pitcher's deul

Knowing that they will be yanking it out of the park
    an opportunity to catch one
    yea. . .that will get more folx out to the parks IMO