1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Alex Jones Trial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Aug 3, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wealthy crackpots like the My Pillow Guy are few and far between.

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You can say whatever you want. But there are ramifications if you endanger, slander or otherwise hurt other people.

Does this guy think that bomb threats or threats against other people in general shouldn’t be illegal because it’s free speech?

Nook, Invisible Fan and jo mama like this.
  3. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

you seemed to be implying that the judgement was too high when you asked what jones did to warrant such a high sum. and you also implied that jones was sued simply for calling them crisis actors when we all know it was actually much more than that.

i see that as you defending jones. maybe thats not the case, but either way i still find it bizarre for you and commodore to be doing what yall are doing in this thread.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Yes, that would be the part of you reading motive that doesn't exist into a relatively straightforward question. I didn't follow the trial. I only came in the thread because someone asked me to opine on the issue of Jones's lawyer sending his phone data to opposing counsel and then saw the damage award.
    The only thing I was/am aware of Jones doing with regard to Sandy Hook was claiming it was fake and the grieving parents were crisis actors. Just from what is in this thread, it seems like they sued him for defamation (none of the articles or videos mentioned intentional or negligent infliction of emotional distress, though I have not read the pleadings). Defamation damages are generally loss to reputation and the consequences arising therefrom. Hence my statement that even if his defamatory statement (that they were crisis actors) resulted in total unemployability and drove them to therapy, more than two million per plaintiff seems high. I have seen wrongful death suits with lower compensatory damages.
    Since I am not defending Jones (he seems like a drunken moron, generally speaking), which would be the other way implied by "either way", why would it be bizarre for me to ask that question?

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

honestly, that was my first read of his email too.

But I am a lawyer, and I believe he is as well, so viewed from that lens, it can be a clinical question from a legal perspective about the propriety of a jury award…meaning do the facts as applied to governing law support the 4MM.

His points about damages are generally applicable when dealing with typical compensatory damages, like lost past earnings and lost future income. The plaintiff must get expert testimony to look at the Plaintiffs’ employment history and then project the likely earnings had the Plaintiffs been able to work withou thr actions of the Defendant. (Edit - from a clinical perspective, it’s a fair point to raise).

I no longer to remember the law on intentional infliction of emotional distress, but as I noted to him, I believe mental anguish damages isn’t strictly tied to objective stuff like past earnings and projected future earnings. If the jury is given lattitude (and Im sure there are some legal guardrails in caselaw to say when a jury has gone too far), the 4MM does seem like a whole lot.

but back to your point, yeah, I originally read his email as you did… as taking up for Alex jones and saying that the jury hit Jones unfairly hard. But maybe it was a pure clinical legal question.

#165 Rileydog, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    jo mama likes this.
  6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

If this is article accurate, it looks like Jones was sued for defamation and intentional infliction of emotional distress. The article further states that texas law has a cap on punitive damages that is equal to 2x compensatory damages (some of the $4.1MM award is compensatory Im sure), plus non economic damages up to $750K. If this is applicable, the trial judge will have no choice but to reduce the punitive damages award to fraction of what the jury awarded.

In other words, Jones is laughing his ass off.

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/litig...d-to-pay-extra-45-million-in-punitive-damages

#166 Rileydog, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

This is a defamation/slader case tho right?

The media has been getting pushed back a little recently with Nick Sandman and now this.

This is all good news to create a counter financial incentive. Getting it wrong has to cost money because twitter has created such a mass incentive to be first.

8. Buck Turgidson

Outside of everything else...he lost $65M on election challenges that he chose to sink money into and cannot recoup funds from.

Nook, Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this was excellent

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Honest question... what was excellent about that?

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Commodore

It goes through his career through a lot of the events of the 80s/90s, provides great insight into his appeal and how he went from being perceived as a clown to a major threat by the entrenched power structures.

Also has a ton of close up footage from the Jan. 6th timeframe.

12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

A guy who shamelessly profits on promoting that Sandy hook elementary shooting is a conspiracy is not someone I would considered a major threat by the entrenched power structures.

Imagine losing your little kid to the shooting just for this clown to go on national tv spewing nonsense of how no kid died and the parents were crisis actors. Shameless.

I find folks that offers only thoughts and prayers after every shooting are dumb and don't really care enough to do anything about it, but folks like jones who pushes lie to ignore the deaths of the victim is just evil.

ROCKSS and FrontRunner like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is where the Conservative movement is at. Hucksters and fraudsters are now considered freedom fighters speaking through to power.

ROCKSS, mdrowe00, FrontRunner and 3 others like this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

ROCKSS, FrontRunner, larsv8 and 4 others like this.
  15. bobrek

Pretty sure he's almost always been perceived as a clown.

ROCKSS, No Worries, Blatz and 2 others like this.
  16. Commodore

yes, but the Big Tech deplatforming and lawsuits didn't come until after Trump won

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. It's interesting that anyone would think the movement is in a better place now than they were in the past 60 years.

18. bobrek

While he's been kicked off a number of platforms, his Infowars show is readily available on the Internet where he continues to spew his Idiocy.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

So the tyrants are the people whose kids were killed and sued him?

Trying to follow your mental gymnastics here.

No Worries and Deckard like this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Conservative logic is folks that r suing Alex jones are denyin his freedom of Speech.
    Really bizarre that folks actually laps up this Sandy hook conspiracy nonsense. Actual kids got shot up by a deranged lunatic. I can't fathom how the parents must have feel when they heard sht like this and got harassed by Jones fans.