1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Gibbs Hired by Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by slowmustang, Jan 9, 2008.

1. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Which one was he?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rKo7Tf5YBQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5rKo7Tf5YBQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

We are the Broncos.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't know much about the guy...but SOMEone was the head behind that Broncos running attack. Let's see if it was him..

5. LFE171

LFE171 Member

I'm down for going to the superbowl. :) Great pickup for the Texans.

6. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Yes, called the best O-Line coach in history. He was in charge of the Broncos running attack and then moved on to the Falcons.

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Great hire. I hope they get rid of Richard Smith. There are better potential defensive coordinators out there.

8. itzIce

itzIce Member

Awesome news! Congrats to Shanahan Jr. for getting promoted to OC.

9. tulexan

tulexan Member

Gibbs is the ZBS guru. Just look at Denver and Atlanta's running game while he was at each team. This is probably the best hiring since Kubiak was named head coach. No more hybrid blocking scheme, we are going to be pure zone blocking now. Whoever is the starter for us next year at running back is going to be a high fantasy football pick.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm drafting Ahman Green and Ron Dayne next year.

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Chris Taylor baby.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Is it wrong that this video pumped me up about the signing?! :D

13. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

WOW this is awesome. The only drawback is that next season is so so so so so so so so damn far away.

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

God, I hope the Texans don't view this hiring as an excuse for NOT upgrading the OL talent this offseason.

15. tulexan

tulexan Member

The running back situation is going to be interesting next year. From what I've heard from Kubiak in press conferences/interviews, we are definitely going to bring in some new young talent. Whether it's in the draft or in free agency, I'm no sure. If I had to guess I would say it would be the draft because CBs and LTs are positions that are hard to step into right away and perform, but it's also hard to find quality LTs and CBs in free agency without backing up the Brinks truck so they may go for a RB in free agency and try to fill the other holes in the draft.

Rick Smith also said that they are going to have to think about bringing Dayne back and that Walker has been a surprise. I haven't heard much about Taylor from anyone so he might be the odd man out. Although I wouldn't, they may give Ahman another shot at making the team. Not necessarily to be the starter, but as a backup.

My hopes...
    FA
    1. Michael Turner
    2. Julius Jones
    3. Mewelde Moore

Draft*
    1. Jonathan Stewart
    2. Rashard Mendenhall
    3. Felix Jones

* McFadden not included because he won't fall to 18 and we won't trade up to get him.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

that's fine..............................

just don't be chop blocking MW and the boy genius during practice.....k?

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Kubiak said on his coaches show last week that the 2 positions they will be looking to upgrade this offseason were OL and RB.

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Yeah, like Capers never said that before. Excuse me for being skeptical. :p

19. tulexan

tulexan Member

This is also going to change the type of linemen that we look for. We aren't going to be looking for giant mauler type linemen, but instead smaller, faster, linemen with good footwork. A guy to look at on our roster right now is Center Greg Eslinger. We signed him late in the season from Denver.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

*nodding in agreement*

Though, to be fair, his philosophy with the secondary (play it safe) was helpful in disguising how badly out matched our passing defense was all year.

Still, our defense was 90% D-line run-stuffing in the middle and Demeco Ryans sideline-sideline ability.

Evan