1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman called up...... for real!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

No, actually, it's you. *You* brought up 2014 and 2015...
    And you keep bringing it up, over and over and over and... And always with the same agenda: to try and pin it on me singularly when, once again, I've demonstrated that it was most certainly a "we." Thus the picture I posted in response - sorta tired of it.

What we're discussing now, right now, has absolutely nothing to do with 2014 or 2015 - it's about the 2016 offseason and a wild, (mostly) hypothetical-only offseason trade of a prominent member of the Astros' core nucleus. That I think Altuve is the one I'd move has no bearing on 2014, 2015 or, frankly, 2016.

2. Hey Now!

BTW, care to back that up with anything resembling a relevant stat? His walk rate is actually decreasing since the ASB, as is his PPA. And overall, his walk rate and PPA are not anywhere near above-average. Much better for him - but not among the elite hitters. He's *not* being pitched around.

And I love that the ****ing team batting coach point-blank lays out the ****ing plan, confirmed by the ****ing player himself, exactly as I did - be more selective and the power will come - and you, Mr. ****ing Baseball - *still* thinks that more power leads to more patience. That's like... OK. Whatever....

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Never said more power leads to more patience... more power (with continued high average and advanced contact ability) leads to pitchers sometimes not wanting to throw anything close to a hittable pitch. The more balls he gets thrown to him, the more he can recognize it. Its no longer a choice between border-line pitches and strikes... its recognizing pitchers not wanting to come close to making a mistake to him (or just intentionally walking him altogether... which is also happening).

No need to get huffy... really, name calling? You're also wavering back and forth. On the one hand, he is who he always has been (or peaked) and the team could consider trading him... on the other hand he has a new approach that has yielded positive/lasting results that could have him heading towards the HOF. Which is it?

And forget about the past... you yourself state just 2 pages ago that he's probably peaked... which you're actually somewhat arguing against in your last few posts by pointing out his regimen to significantly improve/change (for which there should be no presumption it stops with just 2016).

And just to try and steer this somewhat back on topic... wasn't it you who was convinced that the Astros wouldn't call up Bregman this year? Because nobody gets called up with around 500 minor league plate appearances? Altuve surprises you because he shouldn't be able to do the things he's doing (yet continues to get better). Bregman shouldn't be promoted because the Astros didn't do it in the past (yet he probably could/should have been promoted sooner). This year's Astros are just befuddling you....

#383 Nick, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not to break up the Hey Now!/Nick love fest but Bregman's OPS is up to .827. For comparison, Springer's OPS is .824 and Correa's OPS is .822. With Gurriel now, that top five is about as solid as it gets. It's a shame Valbuena got hurt.

5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Gotta admit, those two have been every bit as impactful as I could have hoped for.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It's awesome. And Gurriel is the most expensive one at a still bargain price if he keeps up this hitting.

They really need to maximize the opportunity NOW with the core being so cheap. Need to get starting pitching and pay more than the bare minimum for it.

7. the shark

the shark Member

Watching MLB network and they just said that Bregman has 27 RBI's in the last 24 games (most in MLB).

8. mrm32

mrm32 Member

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Bregman put up numbers next season similar to what Corey Seager has put up this season (~8%bb, ~18%k, .220 iso, ~7 fWAR).

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. Hey Now!

OK.
    +++++++
    When, throughout this thread, have I ever said, "he is who he always has been (or peaked) and the team could consider trading him"? That's a gross mis-characterization of the nature of the conversation, which, I'm certain you already knew seeing as this is your MO...

In fact, I *knew* you were going to pull this **** and in my very first post, said
    And yet... here I am, having to answer to a charge of "he is who he always has been (or peaked) and the team could consider trading him." Perhaps that's why I'm huffy and puffy and name-calling - because your **** is tiresome.

Are you aware players can "peak" and sustain that level for several years thereafter?... Apparently not. Do you want to argue Altuve is going to be *better* next year?

Also, here's one of my first responses in this thread
    You've decided peak, with likely regression next year (understanding, regression could be .320/.850) is bad. You'll have to find anywhere where I said Altuve in 2017 (and beyond) won't be a productive, valuable piece of this team's puzzle.

I don't know, Nick - did I? You're obviously a much better source than I would be, as I'm not meticulously logging everything I post to be brought up - out of context - months/years later.

IIRC, I wondered if the Astros had a magical number a player had to cross before getting called up (Bregman was still at AA at the time, I think). And I don't remember arguing ferociously about it - but no, I didn't think he'd be called up, given his limited # of minor league ABs. So?... Who ****ing cares?

And actually... no... this year's Astros don't befuddle me. I have a fairly decent handle on them. Fun thread to revisit, though - there's this persistent ******* nitpicking and mis-characterizing everything I post, most of which, I should add, has come to pass. Gosh, his MO seems so familiar.....

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All this because you can't help yourself from proposing Altuve in possible trades... kudos to all your effort though in defending it.

Anyways, un-derailing this thread. Its not fair to Bregman.

13. Buck Turgidson

Love fest? It's Verbal Thunderdome. The conversation will continue until one of them dies.

14. Nook

Nook Member

No... Death won't stop it... The one left alive will continue arguing oblivious to the passing.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Don't Clutchfans user names get passed down from father to son, mother to daughter for generations such that arguments never die?

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sounds like Alex Bregman's season is over. A.J. Hinch said his injury would've required an immediate 15-day DL stint if any other month.</p>&mdash; Jake Kaplan (@jakemkaplan) <a href="https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/776937215796531200" data-datetime="2016-09-17T00:14:01+00:00">September 17, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>