1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Aldridge] Rockets will trade Asik by Thursday

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Dec 12, 2013.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Papanikolaou tried to force his way to the NBA last offseason. The Rockets didn't have the cap room to sign him, and refused to trade his rights. Also, I believe he is bound to some sort of salary scale....could be wrong.

We don't have anything to offer Llull other than the MLE. Unlike others, I believe he will eventually come over....it's just that neither the Rockets or Llull are in a rush.

2. FeaR

FeaR Member

I am from Greece and the only thing that i read , was that other NBA teams was interested in him but i believe that his manager created these rumors. His salary and buy-out are high. As a second round pick i think that they must negotiate his contract.

I wish these players would come but with only the MLE , i don't think they will come.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q16

He was a 2nd round pick and not subject to the 1st round wage scale. Starting in the summer of 2014 the Rockets would be allowed to offer him a salary between:

$507,336 - The minimum salary for a NBA Rookie
    and
    $13,701,250 (approximate figure based on current salary cap) - The maximum salary for a NBA Rookie

The Rockets could use a portion or all of the Non-Tax Payer MLE of $5,150,000 (approximate based on final salary cap for 14/15 season) this coming summer to sign him. Or, if they decided they wanted to bring him over prior to the end of this season they could use a portion or all of their existing Room Exception of $2,652,000.

Obviously I have no idea what he would be willing to sign for and I don't know about any possible buy out clause in his current contract.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I hope we trade this guy instead of wasting money on him. Greek players never work out in the NBA.

5. basketballholic

Don't see how Pop.... is going to help us this year.

6. Andrew Wiggins

With Horford and Lopez getting injured and Bynum being Bynum, what do you guys think the over/under on Asik Trade is:

• 1 week
    • 2 weeks
    • 3 weeks
    • 4 weeks
    • 5 weeks
    • 6 weeks
    • 7 weeks
    • Trade deadline - a little over 7 weeks

My guess is over 3 weeks, under 4. If it is not done before Febuary then it will be done by he trade deadline.

7. Andrew Wiggins

Fixed. If Morey has something he likes on the table within the next month then he will take it. Otherwise, he will wait until the trade deadline to maximize his value.

I hope we get something of value for him or we keep him and he plays for the Rockets (doubtful).

8. sweetcat

sweetcat Member

Morey can trade asik but I don't think he will get a valuable or promising player in return . Unfortunately Asik's value has dropped and the time has progressed . At this point , I'm not even sure he wil be traded if morey continues to ask too much . Perhaps a 1st round draft pick or 2 2nd round picks , maybe .

He should traded him in summer , when he asked about it and when his value was higher . I know I kept saying this argument and everbody told me about waiting for december for including recently signed FA in Asik trade , but only millsap's name came in these discussions and atlanta didn't want to give him for asik . So it didn't work .

But let's try to view the positive side . When Asik's healthy , this team will have a luxury that most teams doesn't . 2 good centers . At a high price , of course...

9. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

Hawks are loaded at PG...no chance they'd want Lin and they certainly wouldn't give up a pick unless its a 2nd rounder and that ain't gonna be enough to get Love.

10. NotChandlerParsons

Honestly have no idea. I think it will depend largely on if some team panics and wants to trade Asik. If Asik comes back and plays fairly well, it'll help it along.