1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Aldridge] Offseason Grades

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrJason, Aug 6, 2012.

1. MrJason

MrJason Member

Got rated top 8.

Click to read more.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/featur...orning-tip-offseason-grades-part-1/index.html

2. MrJason

MrJason Member

I'm surprised Rockets are higher on the list than the Suns, Wolves, and Raptors who were ranked 16, 17, and 18 respectively.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

He says we are more talented than last year. BUT BUT I thought we were full tank mode! :grin:

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We actually do have a better team defensively. It will just take a while to see.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's hard to judge the quality of most moves before seeing the new team actually take the court. So, Aldridge gave Morey credit for having a high quantity of moves.

6. MrJason

MrJason Member

Not sure about that.

Asik is a good addition but I'm not sure if he's better than a Dalembert/Camby combo for a full 48 mins.

Lin is definitely a drop off defensively compared to Dragic or Lowry however.

Lee was also a defensive stud that we lost.

The only upgrade I can possibly see defensively is losing Scola but I haven't seen anything from the rookies that has the Defensive potential. I guess it's more of an addition by subtraction.

7. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Says Morey would trade all of our rookies in a second for Dwight Howard…I thought Aldridge was the one that reported that they could only have one? :confused:

8. Raven

Raven Member

Sure, as long as LA, NY, and Miami each get ten teams.

Laughable.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

I think your sig says it best. :p

And yes, Aldridge did report that.

#9 J.R., Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  10. MrJason

MrJason Member

True but I also thought Hornets had a good offseason whom the Rockets are ahead of. They got rid of two big contracts and picked up some decent players.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Suns and Wolves had horrible offseasons.

The Suns skipped any form of rebuilding and committed the next 4 years to fighting for the eighth seed. Worst thing you can do.

The Wolves have a sub par core group of players and added vets. They will never compete with thier current group.

I actually liked the Raptors. Lowry was a good pickup, but they blew the draft.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We don't have a better team defensively. We lost our best defensive players in Camby, Dalembert, and Lowry.

Stop watching Summer league reruns and college youtube highlights
    that's not the real NBA.

13. redlawn

redlawn Member

lol :grin:

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

sweet jesus!! FANGASM!!!! epic match!!!

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

damn man wrong thread usa/canada match is cra!

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree but we did eliminate Scola. That's a defensive improvement we're overlooking. Unless you like flopping. I can't see any 99'ers liking flopping.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Asik didn't play Summer League. Unlike Dalembert, Asik does more defensively than just block shots and rebound. Camby and Lowry will be missed defensively.

I am very interested to see how Asik impacts a game if he gets to play starter minutes. I went out of my way to try to catch him play when the Rockets tried to trade Lee for him supposedly. If Patterson plays a lot of minutes, the entire frontline will have good defensive awareness with a rim protector.

I don't know how well Rockets will be defensively, but Asik at least gives them a hope to be better.

18. deshen

deshen Member

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm not sure I agree with the ranking.

My top 5 would be Miami, Lakers, Houston, Portland and Dallas

1. Miami-pretty much what the article said

2. Lakers-Nash changes the game for the Lakeshow, I think he can prolong Kobe's career, and make Pau and Bynum co-exist. You can't really have a more built to win-now team than the Lakers.

3. Houston-The draft and Asik/Lin signing won't make the Rox champions, but it gave the team hope for the future and Linsanity filled up the waning fanbase. That's pretty much an amazing offseason, even if majority of it is due to non-basketball reasons. Who knows, the team might even and up competitive and we might have OKC 2.0 in 2-3 years.

4. Portland-The team managed to put solid pieces around LMA. Retaining Batum will help a lot, but more importantly I think they struck gold with Lilliard and Leonard. I think Leonard could be a Chandler clone in a couple of years, while Lilliard will be an instant-impact rookie on day 1.

5. Dallas-pretty much what the article said as well

20. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I don't understand why it seems there is a new offseason rankings article every week, when the offseason hasn't ended yet. Dwight is still not traded, and you never know how many potential deals/decisions are dependent on that situation.