1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aldridge is disproving Morey's theory

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gfab-babyboi, Apr 23, 2014.

1. torocan

torocan Member

That's actually false.

I could spit ALL the stats out at you, OR you could click this link and read some of them for yourself. I'll leave this quote and you can read the rest.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articles/nba/the-rise-of-the-three-3-pointer.aspx

3 pointers are a core part of the NBA including recent championship teams and contenders.

As for mid-range shooting, that's fine if you have mid-range shooters. If you have some I'm sure Morey would be happy to have them shoot a ton of mid-range 2's...

2. makio9

makio9 Member

No he isn't.

Morey never said mid-range couldn't be effective, he simply thinks it can be beaten.

Rockets today went 3-16 from beyond 3-point land.

Morey would have predicted that loss.

3. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

it isn't the fact that they are taking 3s. it's HOW the system runs. the heat and the spurs offense's have more structure incorporated in them compared to the rockets laissez faire offense.

imagine a gauge ranging 0-10. on left side there are the current chicago bulls (they would be 0) and on the right there are the MDA suns (10). id say the heat and spurs are a 6 or 7. id say the rockets would be a 9 or 10. what im saying is to scale it down. there needs to be more order.

you can develop a player's game in that area. the point is they aren't even trying to experiment with more options on offense.

4. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

those championship teams didn't jump the shark on the philosophy. they incorporated the good parts.

5. torocan

torocan Member

You're assuming that McHale and Co. actually know how to design and implement a sophisticated offense. This isn't an offensive genius in the half-court set that we have leading this operation.

Do you really think that Morey wouldn't want to run the Spurs offense if he could? The problem is that in 2 years we've seen little evidence from McHale and Co. that they have Any inclination in terms of implementing a deeper offensive play book.

And on the defensive end, the brains behind the defense was Sampson and he's gone.

If we had one of Pops' assistants, he'd still advocate pushing the ball up the floor given our youth. The difference is that they'd also implement a more sophisticated offense. Unfortunately, what we got is McHale and Co. :(

1 person likes this.
  6. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

i thought morey liked the idea of a shallow playbook though.

7. dxdx

dxdx Member

but we did, didn't we? Pat pat and his automatic 2s comes to mind.

8. torocan

torocan Member

Morey has made clear he leaves the actual coaching up to the coaches and doesn't get involved in the actual plays of the offense or defense. He provides them the stats and information, and they make the decisions in terms of how to make the best use of them.

So while Morey would want shots at the rim and 3 pointers, it's up to the coaches to figure out HOW to get them. McHale and Co went read and react and transition. However the Spurs offense also gets you those same types of shots through movement, cuts, screens and passing as well as through transition.

As long as the shots are quality shots, the Morey doesn't care what plays or schemes you run to achieve that goal.

9. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

i think morey is a bit more involved than you are leading on. he's very much a politician in public. morey handing out analysis and going back to the office doesn't sit right. that probably is too much of a simplification, but you get the idea.

i can't fully buy that it's all on mchale (although he definitely is responsible). an old school basketball player implementing a new school system in the most extreme sense... you have to admit it is a bit odd.

guess we have to wait and see next year and if mchale is still around. maybe there will be a change in the system with a new coach, but im skeptical.

10. DocRock

DocRock Member

The impression I got was that we run R&R is because he mandated Finch be on the staff, and it would also ease the transition when we bring guys up from our farm team experimental lab.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Finch didn't run this offense when he was with the DLeague did he? I was under the impression he ran a motion offense similar to the offense the Rockets ran under Rick.

12. torocan

torocan Member

Well, all we have to go on is this article regarding McHale PRIOR to his hiring...

http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterocke...evin-mchale-can-he-exceed-expectations-again/

You can argue that you believe Morey designs the offense, but it goes against everything that has been written about the Morey/McHale relationship including prior to his actual hiring.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Nerds lose...

14. DocRock

DocRock Member

I'm not sure tbh, I mean it had to come from Sampson, Bickerstaff, or Finch right? Maybe Finch is just the most accessible to give interviews about the offense.

15. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the problem is that we've gone AWAY from this system. Too many midrange jumpers last night, not enough run n gun and 3's

16. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

when has carlos boozer scored back to back 40 plus in the playoffs??

you serious....:confused:

17. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Truth is we dont have good shooters or real shooters. casspi and garcia and even parsons don't really count, but at least parsons does other things.they need to find some in the offseason.

18. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

and this series is not over....if they win game 3, it is a series again/

19. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

I've always thought Morey's system was stupid, I don't care what his statistics say.

Michael Jordan won 6 rings using one of the most dominant midrange games of all time.

It may work in the regular season, but in the playoffs when defensive and game pressure is elevated, those 3 point shots and layups aren't as readily available. When you completely abandon the midrange and none of your players are comfortable/skilled at at that range you're in for some trouble.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I spent years listening to Calvin Murphy in Rockets broadcasts talk about the importance of the mid range game. How often that area was a no man's land of open shots because defenders would focus on the paint and 3 point line.

Add an elite mid range shooter to this team like Melo or LMA and we would be rediculous.