1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Alcohol Rumor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MR. MEOWGI, Jan 5, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Crazy.

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I go to college in Arkansas and it seems like they have many of the same laws as Texas, regarding sales of alcohol on sunday, after certain times of night, not in grocery stores, etc. I also know that you can't buy liquor in grocery stores in Oklahoma. I was amazed when i visited Chicago this past summer and went into a grocery store...practically half of the store was liquor. :eek:

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

They do in Louisana. The Wal Marts there have HUGE liquor sections.

Of course, in Louisana they sell liquor at Babys R Us, so take it for what it's worth...

4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

What will become of the Specs empire?!

5. droxford

droxford Member

Crazy.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's what I was thinking. What will this change do to liquor stores? Specs at least can survive on offering variety, classy stuff, etc. Other places will probably go out of business.

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

that would suck b/c i really like the owner's of my local liquor store.

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

If they start selling liquor at Kroger that doesn't mean you have to buy it from there. You do have the right purchase liquor from whereever you want as long as you're of age.

You should start a Buy Local campaign for your neighborhood liquor store.

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Texas has these crazy laws that requires certain information on the labels of beer. Thats why we have such a poor selection to choose from because microbrews in other parts of the US do not want to change their labels to conform to the horse**** label laws of Texas. If you go anywhere else in the US and look at the selection beers, you will see we are getting screwed. I loved when I lived in North Carolina and I could go isle after isle of different beers and "Make Your Own 6 Pack". It was awesome to be able to try so many different kinds of beers from all over. I particularly miss Saranac which is a beer made somewhere in New York I think. Their Pale Ale was fantastic.

I'm also one of the beer/alcohol snobs and agree that if I'm going to drink something, its going to be good. I'd rather pay the extra for something good than pay less for ****.

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

they have these at Target and at Whole Foods

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm aware that i don't have to buy it from the grocery store. i was more concerned with them having to compete with the grocery store. there's no doubt this would hurt their business, albeit i still buy from them.

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Sorry Macalau, didn't mean to pick on you.

I just get fed up sometimes when people complain about some big store moving in the local business goes under and then when asked why THEY stopped shopping at the local store THEY say its because the prices are cheaper and selection is better. If you could afford to shop at the local store before you still can. If there selection isn't as good you still can shop for the stuff they have and go to the big store for other stuff.

For instance I'm fixing up my house and most of the time I go to the small hardware store down the street. I'll go to Home Depot only when I'm getting big items like lumber and gravel since the small store is too small to stock that stuff. Bottom line though is the small store is doing fine even though there are prices are slightly higher than Home Depot.

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Don't know if they do this in any other states, but when I visited Michigan this past summer they were selling hard liquor at some corners stores. That was pretty cool. :)

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Well, with the way kids behave these days, I could understand why parents go on the ocassional drinking binge...

15. Master Baiter

I understand that they exist here but the selection isnt even close to the same.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I know grocery stores have been fighting this for a long time, and everytime the bill comes around the liquor stores get nervous. This would take a HUGE chunk out of the retail stores -- as grocery stores could afford to make minimal profit off their sales since you'll probably buy more stuff while there. (ie: cheap beer at grocery stores)

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"Here, little Timmy... take this NyQuil... YES, I said NYQUIL, I know it smells like Jack Daniel's... but it's NyQuil, I tell ya... TAKE IT!!!!"

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On the flip side, it probably helps protect small Texas breweries and builds a more robust local industry.

19. Master Baiter

There is no rubust local industry. Shiner? Thats everywhere. Other than Saint Arnolds I couldnt name another beer that you can purchase around Houston.

20. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Is this something that would have to go to a vote? And if so, would it only be in cities that already sell liquor? I know we had a vote last March to finally get the city of Lewisville semi-wet (beer and wine, no liquor)...