1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alarming surge’ in anti-Asian violence across US terrifies community members

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Marina is too touristy and boogie. Plus you got a dumb hill for homeless people to climb. It's not as patchy where there's a rich block then a dump right next to it.

I worked at the Mission Bay so I mainly rented places around the muni lines.

Polk Street had that kind of mix, but the places that stuck in my mind were Tenderloin southward and Mission Street. That was a constant battle between gentrification and skyrocketing rent, which has probably changed even more in the last 5 years.

There's obviously isn't enough data except for the observation that this surge is "alarming". I guess we'll all have to see where this shakes out.
    To your point about white people, why does it have to be violent assault as the response for unrest over inequality? Couldn't it be protests that end up in the destruction of private property?

Besides it's one of those things where Wuhan Flu is a thing but not the only thing. Again, there isn't a public discourse about it, so your observations are as good as mine.

Astrodome, Nook and tinman like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

VanityHalfBlack, joshuaao and saitou like this.
  3. foh

foh Member

Equating assault-on-elderly with social rights protests and people making a run at Best buy and Gucci is rather disingenuous.

I'm not making any observations. I'm trying to point out that for your observations to be true, there would be easily identifiable data points available from the police departments' crime tracking statistics. If they have stats on balck on balck crime, I assume they have all types of race based stats. And I'm sure right leaning news sites would be all too happy to point them out.

4. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Good old USA...not surprised. Just going to get worse and worse for these Asians.

-Increasing anti-China news about all kinds of crap
    -But at the same time our government is trying to support American Asians

Everyday news

Article 1. Anti-China, damn Chinese stealing everything, jobs, land, technology, slave camps, spitting fools, etc etc
    Article 2. We support American Asians, it's not good, it's bad, etc etc
    Article 3. We hate CCP but we love Chinese people but these people are brainwashed by ccp.

Poorly educated, non traveling Americans
    Chinese, Korean, Vietnam, Japanese, they all the same Asian, I cant tell the difference, slant, square, round eye's. Who cares, these fools taking our jobs, land, technology and they talk loud, spit all over the place and they eat dog everyday. These fools think they can just buy everything. Kick them out, screw those commie, brainwashed lovers.

Educated Americans
    Poor Asians but you know what, **** happens. Blacks, whites, Latinos, we all face the same issues. So it is what it is. But you know "it was just his bad day"

The rest of the who don't fit in the above 2 categories
    This is some interesting ****, let's bring out the popcorn and watch those video's. I told you all....we messed up...must be trump supporters.

6 months later
    What happened? I forgot all about it. How is your stock bro/sis?

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know the motive, but we used to try and prosecute the people that run these places and they are all controlled by variations of organized criminal gangs... so the specificity of the establishments targets led me to wonder if it was from a rival business interest. Some of the Korean and Chinese crime syndicates have done business with the Aryan Brotherhood.

6. Nook

Nook Member

The vast majority of massage parlors are owned by and have Asian prostitutes in them. Not all of the prostitutes are Asian but many are as they are brought into the USA and told to work the circuit to pay off what they owe the Asian businessmen that brought them over.

#126 Nook, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    tinman likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

the two parlors in that video are located next to something that looked like a strip club.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

New Yorkers

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm not sure if I triggered something personal because you're obviously not understanding what I mean.

It's not "biggest issue". I'm saying people who are poor or feel victimized economically or socially will resort more to violence or extremism.

When times were better, you wouldn't see rioting like Ferguson. We lived through eight years of Bush without a riot even when Kanye said dub didn't like black people.

People didn't just make a run at best buy or Gucci. They shut down parts of Seattle, Minneapolis and Portland while burning down stores, police stations and other public buildings. It wasn't confined to black people. Most of the protestors were white kids who probably didn't have a full time job.

There's a greater point outside this topic, and you're free to make a different topic if you want to discuss inequality disparity and how it relates to social unrest. People tend to stereotype Asians as the richer side even if that story isn't entirely true

I can find the report that racially motivated hate crimes against Asians rose by 300% but it doesn't have the details. You might have better luck finding the stats you claim exists, but that was never my original claim. That's something you've filled in.

If you've been following this thread, you should know that elderly Asians have been attacked before and after the lockdowns. Maybe you should wonder why old people who have already been victimized are targeted in the first place.

I welcome your thoughts on this matter.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm guessing incelism is probably more to blame here than racism.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Has there been an established link between the Georgia killings and racism other than the fact that three quarters of the victims were Asian? Has it been established that this guy was racist? I'm finding it hard to wade through the narrative of the news. As an Asian, my personal experience is that a majority of racism I've experienced in my life have come from other minorities. Most of the incidents of crimes against Asians that I've seen in last year have been from other minorities. I do blame Trump and his rhetoric, but it seems that the people actually committing these crimes are mostly other minorities and not the "white supremacists". Am I wrong in this observation?

#131 rockbox, Mar 18, 2021
    joshuaao and Astrodome like this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seeing this news this morning I'm find it disgusting that the LEO here is excusing the shooter but also spread this kind of horrible attitudes.

What the shooter did was awful but his arrest and the LEO arresting him show how deep these problems go.

#132 rocketsjudoka, Mar 18, 2021
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Good for A-Ma!

From the video it looks like the person who attacked her was a white man probably older than 30 so not what has been stated earlier that a lot of these attacks are young black males.

I used to live in the Bay Area and unfortunately these type of attacks have happened before but there is a marked uptick in the last year.

joshuaao and tinman like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Certainly why it was important to not jump to conclusions about the cause of this and things like this should be investigated fully. Now that they have a suspect in custody what we know now if this isn't technically a hate crime it is a crime of bias and bigotry.

What makes this much worse is that we're finding out that the LEO has also shared bigoted rhetoric.

rockbox likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As more facts come out I agree that this is likely a mix, intersectionality if people prefer.

While the shooter's motive foremost was misogyny by looking at these women as tormenters the fact is these were Asian women. Racism towards Asian might not have been foremost in his mind but Asian women have been frequently exploited for sex trafficking. Part of the reason are the reasons that poor women everywhere get trafficked but there is also the mystique of the passive submissive Asian women that has been put forward by Western society.

I will emphasize that more needs be known about the shooter's motivations but I don't think racism can be dismissed.

What makes this worse is while what extent racism played a role in the shooter's mind the LEO expressed biased views and likely colored his comments that this was the shooter having "a really bad day.." and seemingly show more sympathy for the suspect than the victims.

16. MystikArkitect

I've seen two coordinated attacks in Houston towards hispanics. First time was actually on a job site we were working on. Old deranged white man kept screaming that people were touching his fence. That he was going to call the cops. No one was touching his fence.

He eventually barges into the house and brandished a gun. Didn't hurt anyone but made terroristic threats. Police come, claim that he said that we were the ones making the threats. Made a report, that was it. Months later another guy is working on the house. He guy waits until he's alone and pulls a gun on him. Again with claims he was touching his fence. Put the gun to his neck. Luckily he didn't shoot him. We called the police and got him arrested. 2 weeks later we catch him trespassing into the house again. Again he gets arrested. Finally leaves us alone.

A few months ago my friend is refinishing a house in Cypress. He has Hispanic guys working there. They call him saying the guy is belligerent with a claim of...you guessed it...guys touching his fence. Wanted to call the cops. Threatened he would get a gun.

It's almost as if these people are being coached somewhere to do this. The guy shooting up the massage parlors, claims of sex addiction, then driving to where he ends up in Cherokee County where the sheriff is a bigot....seems like too much of a coincidence to me.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

My personal WAG (wild ass guess) is that this dude was an incel neckbeard with a thing for asian women (for one reason or another) and that's why he targeted them in particular.

Is there a racial element here? Sure. Is it 'hatred' of that race? I don't think so.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As I said it might not be hatred of the race but it is about exploitation and viewing them as less than human.

apollo33 and Nook like this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

That kinda feels like splitting hairs, tbh.

My overarching point is that I don't believe this will end up deserving to be run up the flagpole as some kind of harbinger of a wave of anti-asian violence. That is definitely happening, but I don't think this is part of that phenomenon.

rockbox likes this.
  20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

republican congressman from Texas....