1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alarming surge’ in anti-Asian violence across US terrifies community members

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Feb 20, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good to hear and glad they caught the guy..

B-Bob likes this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Yeah. It was a matter of time. Pretty detailed picture and the dude stands out. He looks like he's 250 pounds.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Spent 17 years in prison for killing his mother. He probably wanted to go back.

B-Bob and tinman like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this dude had more than racial hate

https://nypost.com/2021/03/31/man-busted-for-attack-on-asian-woman-was-on-parole-for-killing-mom/
    Man busted for Midtown attack on Asian woman was on parole for killing his mom

In April 2002, Elliot was charged with murder for using a kitchen knife to stab his mother, Bridget Johnson in the chest three times in their East 224th Street home in the Bronx, according to previous reports.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He also had racial hate. That part isn't changed.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Yeah but he shouldn't have been out on the street. How do you get parole after killing your mother?

certain people don't deserve parole. you know, murderers who kill their own mother, that ranks up there.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. rockbox

He's going back to jail forever at this point.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm glad they caught him and he shouldn't be out on the streets but this is another sad case of problems with our criminal justice system. This man had killed his mother attacked another elderly women but it what it sounds like he was mentally ill. He was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia and living in a homeless shelter. He should've been receiving treatment and under some sort of monitoring where he couldn't be a risk.

mikol13, B-Bob, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We can't afford it. If only he invested in bitcoin or TSLA!

10. tinman

Supporting Member

New Yorkers don’t care about people
    See what happened to the elderly lady
    Nobody called 911 and the security people did nothing
    And they let this dude out after killing his mom!

11. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

NYC was not like that before. There were so many incidents like people jumping into the subway rail to save someone fell off the platform, and many people helped. Or passengers confronted rude people on the train. A few years back, someone told me to go back to China on the train. I asked him, "Which tribe were you from? Apache?" Other passengers gave me applauses. But nowadays, people have fear, and I am certainly not going to say such thing any more, coz that might offend two groups of people.

On a side note, it's a juuuge problem to let criminals out prematurely, especially those murderous ones, or ignore so-called "petty crimes", just because the prison system can't afford it. How about making able criminals support for themselves via "forced labor" to some extend, instead of relying completely on tax money?

Invisible Fan, joshuaao and tinman like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

Sorry that happened to you in New York. New York does have a reputation of unfriendly people, but that's ridiculous.
    I think class and race are very closely tied to the hate crimes. Especially in the areas where it's densely population and the income discrepancy is the worst. Didn't they just have like a bunch of massive 'Anti-hate' rallies? This obviously shows that it was all talk and no show.

I don't know the issues with the New York criminal system, but there sure has been lots of crime lately there.
    I personally like New York City,
    it's way better than San Francisco @B-Bob

13. rockbox

Because as soon as there is money to be made, some corrupt person will take advantage of it to make more money. Example being a the judge that sent juveniles to private detention centers for kickbacks

mdrowe00 and joshuaao like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

This highlights a problem I see in modern culture, and something that would not have happened as easily 50 -60 years ago.... there is no reason that the men on that train could not have stopped that man from beating and choking the victim. Everyone stood and watched or hid. There was a time when people, especially men (as men are generally physically bigger) would have gotten involved and pulled them apart at a minimum if not collectively beat the man down until the police arrived.

Over and over I am seeing these attacks where other people are either watching is shock or horror and doing NOTHING.

Now some of this is because the sheer number of handguns in the USA, that a lot of people are scared that the assailant has a gun...... and there were times in the past where people would do nothing (there was a famous case in NY), but this seems to be getting worse.

While we are all individuals, we also all live in a community and that is forgotten too often.

joshuaao, Xerobull and tinman like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

This is also reflected in our entertainment and music
    Nobody sings about unity and saving the planet.

people are all about themselves getting likes in cyberspace
    Nobody cares about real people

Nook likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

1,000,000% accurate, brother.

Character vs Personality ethic. We've shifted away from what's right. People aren't raised to be good now. They are raised by media to look good.

Society is also filled with coddled p*****s, too, who have never known hardship.

The ironic thing is the person who stepped in would be lauded as a hero and get 100m views on YouTube.

17. Nook

Nook Member

This is another part of the current American culture that is troublesome to me.

Just because someone calls you the N-word or another slur does not mean it is justified to ruthlessly beat someone and try and choke them out.

18. Nook

Nook Member

While I agree with you, that is a lot easier said than done unless we are going to institutionalize people with these issues, and then there would be outcry that some of these people shouldn't be institutionalized. The reality is that when it comes to severe mental health issues, it is very difficult to track and monitor people to ensure that they are doing what they are supposed to be doing and that they are taking their medicine. It is actually easier to monitor drug addicts and the homeless.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. rockbox

Invisible Fan likes this.