1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

al sharpton on CNBC now,the injustice of more blacks in prison today than were slaves

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by eddiewinslow, Sep 23, 2013.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I have no particular interest with the black community. Why would he strike my nerve? I am just humored by this supposed well educated man with an MBA who types with incorrect grammar and punctuation and simplifies the black community to "derrrr.... Black people don't like education and love drugs."

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Hmm... last time I checked UH was not the best public university you could attend in Texas.

3. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

First off this is a message board I didn't know I was supposed to be writing a piece to submit before the board to be judged upon my grammar and ability to use punctuation. People read and reply in an instant on message boards.

Secondly Jones is not UH, it's an MBA from Rice. I've never been to a public school in my life, yes I'm out of touch with poor people. On the other hand I have firsthand experience with plenty of poor people who've grown up in poverty in India who've become success stories in the US

Why is it only americans can't make it? Well bc you guys want 40 hr work weeks and upward mobility, I hate to break it to you but foreigners make the money because they work like dogs. My dad is 66 years old, a millionaire many times over and his day starts at 5 am and ends at 6 pm, he goes around the city of houston all the from his home in southside place all the way down to league city to one store, everyday to pick up cash, make deposits, and check in with managers. He busts his ass, he works a 70+ hr week when you factor in a half day on saturday and sunday off. He has more money than he could spend in his life so he could take off, his wife is a physician who has a very good salary too but he works because he wants his life to have meaning. Creating opportunity for his family and being a good boss to his workers,that's why he does it.

So no you can't have your cake and eat it, but what's funny is when he arrived he worked as a sales associate at sears during the day and at a gas station at night, he worked endlessly to save up and reach his goal. Americans here whine and whine that they can't move on up with their pay, they don't know what it means to make something out of nothing, get a second job, stop whining. If someone was supposed to fail it was my dad, coming here with no education, no government assistance, and no family backbone in the states. He was 18 at the time too. Comical how he isn't the only instance, I'd say 15-20 of his indian friends are the exact same story!

Yet lower income americans blame the rich for keeping them down? Hate to break it to you, but there were rich people back then too....

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great that your father is doing well. But again, his story doesn't change the fact that upward mobility is greater in most of the developed world than the U.S. including in France, and Canada.

It's possible to move upward. There's no doubt. But it isn't about the hours you put in. There are many teachers who put in similar hours to your father, and they won't become millionaires from doing it.

I'm not sure that lower income folks blame all rich people from keeping them down, just some of them. And the facts show that upward mobility among nations with more wealth equality is easier than it is in the U.S. and nations with greater wealth inequality like Brazil.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

powerful story. respect.

6. bigtexxx

Terrible analogy. The problem with teachers is that there are very low barriers to entry into the profession. That's why so many people who are fed up with other jobs say "oh I'm gonna quit this and just go teach". When you have so many people able to teach, of course pay will never be high.

7. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

That's great that they work the same hours, now ponder this. He worked for minimum wage at sears and then a sunny's gas station at night, his brother also held down 2 jobs. They saved up both their pay and opened their first venture, a pool hall, this was in the 1970's. I'm assuming a teacher today working that many hours makes more than the two of them back then did COMBINED. The fact that she doesn't want to invest her money in an attempt to move on up in society is her own problem, she is choosing to continue teaching, my dad and his brother chose to attempt to get out of the rat race.

Life is about choices....teacher's chose their career, that doesn't make it someone else's problem that they didn't go into investment banking. My 2 best friends from my MBA days are traders, one in dubai and one chicago, both chose to chase money, both work crazy hours but both make $300K+ annually at 29. They chose that career bc they liked money, I'm sure they would love to be teachers and get 3 months off every year too, but the money wasn't there

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Barriers are low? You need a college degree with some post graduate work in most states. Most of the time teaching was an easy job to find because they need so many, which is different than having a high supply. That's changed recently with all the cuts to education, and there aren't as many teaching jobs as there were.

Anyone who says what you claim, isn't going to be a teacher for very long.

9. bigtexxx

college degrees are a dime a dozen these days.

that's a very low barrier to entry compared to other jobs.

10. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Teaching is a cupcake job c'mon. A good friend of mine from high school got tired of working in a family restaurant so he got a simple certification and now he's a baseball coach/teacher at a public school in houston. He had a degree but it wasn't in teaching. He teaches spanish for what it's worth I don't know if that's a different barrier of entry but he's just a laid back guy with rich parents so he doesn't care. He enjoys the easy lifestyle and three months off because his parents still help him financially. He doesn't really have the same killer instinct I have about wanting to make money but that's fine, but he even jokes about the ease of his job.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Like I said, I'm happy for your father and anyone else in your family who's doing well.

You made the same point I was making. Earning a ton of money isn't about the hours you put in, but the career you choose. Also most teachers don't get 3 months off a year, but their days are long hours with very few breaks. Most jobs, it's fine to get up and go to the restroom or water cooler when you'd like. Smokers can outside for a smoke break. They might sit back in their office chair, and stretch out, while grabbing a power bar. Teachers can't. They have to be focused and paying the whole time they're in class, with a few exceptions.

It isn't easy, but neither is any job well done. That's my point. Don't act like people who aren't rich aren't working hard, because it isn't true.

12. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uPWQ4oVP-3Q?rel=0&start=396" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Blacks need to listen more to Don Lemon and less to Al Sharpton but Al's words are easier to digest because it doesn't require change from the black man.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...on-lemon-says-more-72-percent-african-americ/

We have a "baby daddy branch" in our white tree. Everyone who has chosen to have their babies in wedlock is doing average or better with 100% HS grad rate and some college grads. Not all perfect kids but definately different than the BDB.

However the BDB is not doing so well. 100% dropout rate. 100% life in poverty (though the momma's still have govt cash to get their nails done and post on FB but that's another thread) or are in prison (for the xth time).

Those stats are race blind but point to a common denominator. And as you can see by the link above, blacks lead this category by a good margin.

Now that doesn't mean all children with both parents living at home have a perfect life, but the odds are stacked against those that don't. And to make matters worse, children without a father are more sexually active at a younger age perpetuating the problem of BD. But until blacks start listening more to Don Lemon and less to Al Sharpton, things will only stay the same or get worse.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

He sounds like a crappy teacher. I'm happy if he likes his job, but I feel bad for his students. Again comparing the entry requirement for most jobs, having a college degree with post graduate work would put it towards the harder level to get into.

Your friend's experience is not that of a typical teacher.

15. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Franchise I'm with you.....but what's stopping those teachers from making investments if they want more money? There is stocks, real estate, opening a small business. There are many avenues to make money if they wish while still teaching, but they don't make the effort to learn more and give it a try.

Rich people are rich because they have guts to fail and their work ethic helps them not to fail. Teachers teach and earn a moderate income but they don't gain wealth because they're too scared to give anything they don't know a shot. My dad and his brother knew nothing about pool halls except they seemed popular in the 1970's so they gave it a whirl and boom it was the stepping stone to a big family business

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think most teachers do invest. They need to for retirement. Yes, they could pursue other avenues as well to increase their income. I think we are in agreement on that.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Is Bigtexxx giving UH some love? I guess the world is about to end.

Is UH not a public school?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6658969&postcount=7

So I guess you are doing a Law degree from UH? And have an MBA from Jones?

That is pretty impressive.

The people who come from India are people who took the initiative to do it so you are getting a small sample from the population. These people are most likely very educated, intelligent, or hard working and represent a small percentage of the population. African Immigrants who come to this country also tend to do better than AA.

Even in ghetto a few people make it out. The point of government or society should be to help every one get out. Using outliers to explain a population is kind of disingenuous.

18. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

I wanted to be a sports agent initially so I was seeking a JD/MBA program but there wasn't one at Rice so I had to do a program where I basically did my JD for at UHLC and then decided it wasn't for me and ended up finishing my MBA bc my parents are the type where education is everything so I had to finish an advanced degree. Law School is the worst, way too much reading, MBA program at Jones is more hands on work.

19. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are not "paid" to make me or anyone else feel guilty about slavery. I personally feel no guilt about slavery, as I had nothing to do with the institution. Jesse Jackson is a horrible hypocrite that has done more damage to the civil rights movement than Stormfront could ever dream of.

#2 As far as ObamaCare and companies cutting hours, I don't blame that on Obama, but the obstructionist Republicans that wanted a steaming pile of **** passed and I blame the companies exploiting loop holes. The public should hold the corporations accountable if they really do not like it. Last, laws will eventually be passed to close the loop holes if that is really what the public wants.

#3 I don't doubt that black Americans are treated differently in the justice system than other groups. There is the stereotype of the black gang banger/drug dealer that is a threat to many people. It does not help that particularly in the 80's and 90's the "thug life" was glorified, coupled with the crack cocaine blitz in the inner cities in the late 80's.
    Having said that, obviously, individuals should be treated equally under the law regardless of income or race.... fat chance.

#4 Al Sharpton never discussed personal accountability in the black community and by individuals. It is very easy to fall back on societal handicaps. Having said that, it is easy for white middle class folks to say "go to school, work hard, pull yourself up by the boot straps".... it is not that easy. In many cases black children in this country are born into poverty with a single parent, with terrible schooling, surrounded by a culture of "getting over" and with few examples of folks making it by working hard and going to school.

1 person likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

Your mother is a neurologist....... your father is a multimillionaire...... you have exclusively attended private schooling...... you have an MBA from Rice University and YOU want to criticize poor black people? SERIOUSLY?