1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

AJ Reed up!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jun 24, 2016.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

He's gone Anthony Young on us. important to get a hit soon before he's lost.

2. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Looks like Santana when he first came up. After about 5-6 games he got his first HR and he seemed to loosen up. Maybe Reed just needs that first hit to relax. We are kinda lucky cause if he doesnt work this time up he can be sent down and Bregman could come up and Valbuenna would move to first.

3. Buck Turgidson

If I were you and were saying something, I would say Eric Anthony.

But I am none of those things.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Santana went 0 for 17 with 14 strikeouts his first time up. Astros sent him back down the rest of the season.

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I like Santana, but this guy is better. His first game he was good, others he looks lost out there, but he will figure it out. Now, the thing is we are in a pennant race, so we are NOT going to be able to be patient.

6. oelman44

oelman44 Member

It seems like whenever we call someone up, most of the fans have two ideas in their head of what might happen: Either he'll be an absolute stud, or at the very least he'll be solid and better than Gattis/White/Val etc.

I know many players got off to bumpy starts like this, but I don't think now is the time to let Reed get his feet wet. We need to continue this momentum and win now - if I'm Astros I wouldn't give Reed too much more time to try to adjust and work through his early struggles. Get the guy who has best chance of producing out there, period.

7. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

What is better, to start slow or hot as a rookie?

I think it says more about a player starting slowly and making adjustment to improve than starting hot and the league making adjustment to you.

Lets see what happens with Reed, but i do trust he will figure it out.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think this is the perfect time to let Reed get his feet wet, the team is winning at a great rate now and the offense is rolling. The team doesn't HAVE to get a big performance from him right now.

Fans look at stats so much, and when a guy is hitting zero obviously it's a terrible look

Now obviously Reed will have to get going if he wants to stay up, but I just think the time was perfect to get a look at him with the team doing so well. Reed will likely have till the ASB to get going or be sent back down

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Seriously--didn't we just go through this?

When a losing streak (team) is at the start of the season instead of mid-season, it looks worse. When a hitting streak (White) is at the start of a career instead of mid-career, it looks better.

Why people continue to want to make quick, harsh decisions is beyond me. We have seen evidence proving the contrary to be true time and again just this year, in the face of a ton of impatient posts. I understand Reed is young, but I'll trust management to understand whether his psyche is being damaged or not by being up and having a rough go of it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

How does AJ Reed's swing/form look to you guys so far? I remember in his first game people including Ashby says his swing looked pretty consistent as opposed to Tyler White's or something.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

One thing is for sure, he has the easiest swing I've ever seen. He's like the anti-Gomez, it looks like he's barely trying to swing. Because his swing is so easy, it does look extremely repeatable.

Offhand, it seems like a swing that is gonna be hard to generate a high average, but most scouts seem to think he will be able to maintain a decent one.

12. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Completely agree. I do think he can drive his batting avg by hitting it the other way. He's still young and maybe Tuve can help his swing out.

I can see his K rate going way down as he becomes adjusted to the majors.

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He didn't even look like he get all of that for the home run... and it travelled over 400 feet.

14. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ty Gainey

Cameron Drew

*sigh*

15. Buck Turgidson

He'll always be vulnerable to fastballs up and in under his hands, but that goes for every tall, long-armed batter without elite bat speed.

I haven't seen enough of him yet, but one of his calling cards that hasn't seemingly translated is his pitch recognition. He was known for either not swinging at or spoiling "pitcher's pitches" and then mashing anything hittable. Understandable that this will take some adjustment time given that he's never faced guys with the combination of stuff and control he's facing now.

16. YaosDirtyStache

I just hope he doesnt look at his stats every game and cry.

Dude has a nice swing, but I think it was a bit soon to call him up.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Adjustment periods happen.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. Buck Turgidson

What's your point?

20. tested911

tested911 Member

The ??? I have about Reed is low balls... Any time there is a Breaking ball or slider I get worried.. Maybe his height is challenge but he doesn't seem to bend at the knees to get those low balls. Maybe a longer bat will help :) Have him borrow Altuve's for a bit and see how that goes. :p