1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Airbnb Adopts Rules in Effort to Fight Discrimination by Its Hosts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really wish you would do your homework before you post and not make me do it for you. You are absolutely incorrect. FHA laws are one set of laws, there are other laws that do apply. Here is an article summarizing them - laws that apply even if you are doing peer-to-peer rental according to legal experts:

http://fortune.com/2016/06/23/airbnb-discrimination-laws/

You are allowed to discriminate against people with children. You can't do it against protected classes. I am sorry you are not free to be a racist when it comes to running your business. If you don't like it why don't you join the alt-right movement and protest against the civil rights act.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There are some groups notoriously known for being terrible guests. It's sometimes cultural as there's a belief that the cleaning fee covers everything rather than living in someone else's house like your own.

That said, it's plain discrimination to deny everyone by groups the host dislikes. Talking and getting agreements for staying in writing seems to be the only way to talk to any customer now...

Reposted for its ignorant whining.

3. bongman

bongman Member

It's amazing to see that people forget history and what it causes when we allow this behavior. Back in the days, college and professional sports teams had separate dwellings when travelling. Do you really want to go back to that time?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Now, *this* is a strawman argument.

Do you see the difference, subtomic?

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If you want to use Airbnb service, you have to abide by its rules. Airbnb wants to be a nondiscriminatory service, good news.

6. bongman

bongman Member

please explain. thanks

7. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see your point, but actually the second example isn't a straw man either. Can you tell me why?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It is. It's nearly the definition of it. But feel free to tell me why it isn't, since you brought up the strawman accusation.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with vetting people.

Would it be appropriate to discriminate against anyone who accepts the casual use of the n-word? I mean, if I were renting my property, I would not want a tenant to be dropping the n-word in casual conversation with neighbors and other local residents.

10. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i admit - I mixed up red herring with straw man in my original post. My main point stands and you even agreed with it.

But I don't view the 2nd post as a phony or exaggerated mischaracterzation of SM's post, but rather a digression on the past and potential consequences. Whether you agree or disagree, I don't care.

11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Im not interested in your legal experts advice. Samfisher is an alleged legal expert and he couldn't pay me to take his advice.

What matters are court ruling and precedence.

FHA exemptions are pretty clear:

If one is renting out a room in their own house, they are not subjected to FHA.
    Your source does not comment on whether Airbnb is eligible for FHA exemptions but only states its a gray area.

http://blogs.findlaw.com/technologi...s-are-violating-anti-discrimination-laws.html

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

you didn't even read the article. You just proved you are not here to debate or discuss anything, but rather just spewing whatever. You grasp onto two words in my post and you don't even click on the link, because if you had, you'd realize I am not even talking about FHA.

Ignorance is bliss.

13. Space Ghost

Must you?
    There is good reason why we fall back on FHA. It provides these greatest protection of groups and federal protection.

For example, the wisest man on clutchfans quoted:

If one actually reads the statues instead of blindly believing an article from a hack journalist, they would find this (very common) bit of knowledge:
    Of course, like all statues, there are exceptions to this. Feel free to do your homework.

— Title II of the Civil Rights of 1964: This protects against public accommodations, including hotels. One can argue that Airbnb is not a public accommodation. Rental property does not apply. Regardless, Title II has exceptions that echo FHA (5 rooms for rent or less and occupied by proprietor)

— The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) - Same exceptions as above.

— Sections 1981 and 1982 - This protects only race. It adds no federal protection. It stipulates a damaged party can seek a civil claim. Airbnb has an arbitration clause which pretty much makes this useless.

Your hack journalist needs to do his homework.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

you just quoted everything from the article. I am glad you finally read it.

Those laws you quoted clearly state that you can't discriminate against someone in any kind of rental situation no matter how many units you have.

15. Space Ghost

Those laws/statutes clearly have exceptions. Feel free to continue bury your head in the sand.