1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Air America Radio

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Zion, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Zion

Zion Member

So did anybody listen today? I caught a small portion of "The O'Franken Factor", nice mix of humour and serious issues.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Could Stern jump to Air America?

---------------------------------

American liberals have been waiting for a perch on talk radio, a medium dominated by conservative and right-wing voices since the 1980s. And on March 31, the new Air America Radio network will give them a nascent one, as it premieres in the New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago markets. Just as "The Daily Show" brings an openly lefty spin to TV news, Air America will fly in the face of the right wing with hosts including Al Franken, Janeane Garofalo, and Marty Kaplan.

But wait a minute: Is "shock jock" Howard Stern -- stripper aficionado, champion of misfits everywhere, all-purpose radio provocateur -- already giving liberals a voice on the airwaves?

And is that voice powerful enough to affect the upcoming presidential election?

Since the FCC crackdown on media "indecency" in the wake of Janet Jackson's Nipplegate incident, Stern has transformed his morning variety show into a rabidly anti-Bush talk forum. Every weekday, he has been devoting hours of his broadcast (locally on WBCN-FM, 104.1) to impassioned criticism of President Bush and support of Senator John Kerry. Railing tirelessly against the president, Stern has been attacking Bush's yoking together of church and state, the legitimacy of his National Guard service, his use of Sept. 11 imagery in his campaign ads, his stances regarding First Amendment rights, his handling of Iraq, and his stands on gay marriage and stem-cell research.

"Join me and friends of this show who are outraged," Stern said on the air last Friday. "Vote out every Republican you can find." He has also been urging his listeners to send money to Kerry's campaign, calling him "a good man" and praising his record in Vietnam as well as his later criticism of the Vietnam War.

3. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I caught some of the Randi Rhodes show, but I've never been a big fan of hers. Can't wait for Janeane Garafalo's show tonight.

I'm definitely gonna listen to Al Franken tomorrow, too.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Is this on a station here in Houston?

5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I don't know. Maybe if we can keep Stern from talking about lesbians every other show and devote a little more time to political issues.

He claims that he always gets the highest ratings when he has lesbians on.

Can you get the show on the net. I've been wanting to hear it. Maybe KPFT can have it on in Houston.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Sorry. Answered my own question. DUH.

Still...can't wait to listen to it. Franken is hilarious.

7. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Listening to it at work but I keep getting interrupted. Finally an outlet for the Liberal voice!
    I especially liked Ann Coulter in a closet.

8. mc mark

9. mc mark

Garofalo was pretty good. Very knowledgeable. Pat Buchanan was one of her call ins'.

So how long before Rush calls Franken? :)

10. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I'm listening to Garofalo right now. Dude, I have a new name for my "freebie" list. Move over Jennifer Connelly! :p

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I'm listening too. One of their promos is "Air America, the laughing stock of talk radio." Self depricating humor, refreshing.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Cool! I can get it in Austin via the net. Far out! :cool:
    Thanks for the info.

please be entertaining... please, please, pretty please...

13. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Dave Chapelle LOL!

14. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

The AirAmerica stations:

New York - WLIB 1190 AM

Los Angeles - KBLA 1580 AM

Chicago - WNTD 950 AM

Portland, OR- KPOJ 1620 AM

Inland Empire, CA- KCAA 1050 AM

XM Satellite Radio - Channel 167