1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

aggy b-ball player busted selling steroids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheHorns, Jan 20, 2003.

1. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Nice job aggy. Let me hear you spin this one. Furthermore, you can see what that aggy education gets you. The writer does not know how to spell vials:

Gig 'em!!

January 19, 2003
    A&M basketball player arrested on drug charges
    By CHRISTOPHER FERRELL
    Eagle Staff Writer

A Texas A&M basketball player remained jailed Sunday night after he was arrested earlier in the day for felony possession of steroids that were found in his truck outside a party.

Andy Slocum has been charged with two counts of possessing a controlled substance and remained in the Brazos County Jail on Sunday night on $30,000 bail.

The steroid possession charge is a third-degree felony punishable by two to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. He also faces other drug-related charges.

According to court records, police found a large Ziploc bag that held syringes and viles. Court documents said one of the viles contained the words “Anabolic St” on it, which police say could have contained anabolic steroids.

Police records state that Slocum, a 23-year-old center from West Monroe, La., was nervous and fidgety as police handcuffed and placed in the back of a squad car.

Police also recovered a pink pill, which tested positive for methamphetamine, and a green pill and papers containing notes outlining a schedule for steroid use, according to police documents.

In all, court documents show police recovered 23 syringes — six of which had been opened and contained small amounts of liquid; an aspirator, which is typically used by people suffering from asthma; seven unopened Insulin syringes and several prescription drug bottles belonging to Slocum and his sister.

Many of the bottles contained more than one type of pill. Court documents did not say if any illegal drugs were found in the prescription medicine bottles.

Colin Killian, associate director of media relations, said Slocum, who has had a series of injuries during his basketball career, may have gotten prescription drugs from a physician.

“Andy has had a lot of medical problems and some of the prescriptions in there could have been linked to that,” Killian said.

Slocum missed the first seven games of this season after undergoing back surgery in October. He also suffered a broken right hand during a summer pick-up game.

Slocum missed the 2000-01 season because of a shoulder injury that occurred while lifting weights and missed eight games last year after breaking his left hand against Texas Tech.

Killian said he did not know if Slocum could have been given the steroids, ventilator or any of the other items from a doctor as part of any medical treatments.

When College Station police confronted Slocum about the items, he told them “not everything in the truck is mine.” He would not tell them what items were his and which ones were not.

Slocum was taken into custody at 2:34 a.m., just hours after the Aggies lost to the University of Texas in Austin.

A police officer arrived at a house on Turkey Creek Road on Sunday morning after receiving a call that someone was trying to sell Ecstasy. An officer approached the house on foot and spotted four men, two of whom were identified as A&M football players, standing near the driver’s side of a white Chevrolet Tahoe.

Court records state that the officer saw Slocum searching for something in the front seat of the car for about 30 seconds and then re-emerged from the car.

The officer then witnessed what appeared to be one of the A&M football players hand money to Slocum, who then dropped something into the football player’s hand in a motion “consistent with that of a narcotics transaction,” according to court documents.

The officer stated that while he found two Ritalin pills on the ground where one of the football players had been standing, he could not directly link the student to the pills. No charges were filed against the three people talking with Slocum when police arrived.

The football player told police that he had not met Slocum before the party and commented to Slocum that “the beer isn’t doing it for me.” He told police Slocum then told him he had “other stuff” out in his truck. He told police he followed Slocum to the vehicle believing he had liquor.

When they arrived at the truck, he told police that Slocum took out a pill which the basketball player said was Ecstasy and asked him if he would “want to try this instead,” according to court records.

The football player said he refused the offer. He told police there was no money exchange between himself and Slocum, according to police records.

In a statement Sunday, A&M basketball coach Melvin Watkins said he would wait and gather more information before making a decision on Slocum’s future or any punishment that could be handed down. Watkins had not talked to Slocum on Sunday night.

“I’m very disappointed that Andy got caught up in this situation,” he said. “I’m still gathering the facts about what happened. At this point, we have to allow the authorities to do their jobs and complete their investigation. When that is completed, I’ll decide on the severity of any disciplinary action.”

Killian said Watkins had never known Slocum to fail a drug test.

“He would certainly know because if they do test positive, they have to tell the coach,” Killian said.

Karl Kapchinski, A&M’s head athletics trainer, said all athletes are drug tested in August before school starts. During the school year, he said athletes are selected at random for testing. All of them are tested for street drugs, such as mar1juana or cocaine, but not everyone is tested for steroids because of the higher cost involved. He said submitted samples are chosen at random to be tested for anabolic steroids.

He could not give specifics about any individuals or the number of athletes that test positive for either type of drugs.

“Normally, we try to keep that information confidential,” Kapchinski said. “As far as have we ever tested anyone positive for steroids, the answer is yes. Have we ever tested anyone positive for street drugs, the answer is yes.”

Slocum, who is not related to former football coach R.C. Slocum, scored seven points and grabbed eight rebounds in A&M’s 89-61 loss to the Longhorns in Austin. Killian said the team returned to College Station by bus following the game.

Slocum has started 28 games during his A&M career. He has played in seven games for the Aggies this season, coming off the bench in each one. He is averaging 4.1 points and 5.7 rebounds.

2. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Damn the liberal media :rolleyes:

3. mduke

mduke Member

If I remember correctly....he looked like he could've used some steroids himself last year.

4. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

He should go pro, the Blazers will be keen!!!

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I love it. You rag on A&M while misspelling AGGIE. What else could I expect from a Longwhorn. :rolleyes:

6. Smokey

You do know that was done on purpose...right? Viles was not. I wonder if Slocum is related to Russell Copeland Slocum.

7. Smokey

Nevermind, my UT education is failing me. I missed it the first time :eek:

8. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

No, Andy is not related to R.C.

9. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

The aggy are the equivalent to saying "TU". Look at any post I have ever made about the aggy and you will see it.

1) Go to any Longhorn BBS and you will see the same.
    2) Mr. Ferrell write for a newspaper, so I assume he took some English and writing courses throughout the aggy journalism program???
    3)Don't you think that even aggy would know how the hell to use spell checker???

Gig 'em...
    Thanks for your participation.;)

10. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

awwww shucks... me too!! However, I caught my mistake.

"Mr. Ferrell writes for a newspaper"

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

OMG!!! There was a misspelled word in the Batt? Holy crap! I know that this sort of thing happens in every major publication that exists, but because it's A&M we don't deserve the same treatment. You are right, we are all stupid over here. By the way, what's up with people throwing eggs at the MLK statue at the UT campus while flowers were put around a Robert E. Lee statue?

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

...and people wonder why there are Aggie jokes...

I wonder if he knows that basketball is probably the sport in which steroids would help you the LEAST

anybody remember that quote by Charles Barkley? Some skinny white dude got busted for taking steroids, and Barkley said, "I've seen him naked...he's not taking steroids"

13. Refman

Yep...I know. I found it very humorous that in a post about poor spelling that a word would be mispelled...intentional or not.

14. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Too funny. If it gets under your skin that much, I am sorry princess. If the tables were turned I imagine you would say,

"the Batt"... wow, now that I think about it the Chronicle, NY Times, Washington Post, Wall St Journal, the Batt.... I think we can all agree each should be considered a "Major publication"....

Thanks aggy, I never said it my self, but it’s interesting to hear it come from one. For what its worth I am married to one and I do not think she has the same opinion as you.

I made my opinion known in the thread about it and I was one of those lashing out at the individual or individuals responsible. How was your "Ghetto Party?" Whoop!

The thread is as the title reads an "aggy b-ball player busted selling steroids", not about the spelling error.

FOR THE RECORD REFMAN:

THE CORRECT SPELLING WOULD BE MISSPELLED

GIG 'EM!!!!!!

You guys are too much fun, what would we all do without you????

15. jwun

jwun Member

Yeah, your right...you wouldn't have much left to live for...would you? Hell, you wouldn't even get laid. :)

16. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

I am certain I would be able to find something. Are you still dating that aggy cheerleader?

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

If you need 'em, take 'em.

I love TJ Ford

Go Horns.

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Amazing how many people have never heard of sarcasm.

On a side note, I'm sure UT has never had a student caught with drugs.

19. Refman

Princess? Isn't that what you guys at tu affectionately call your roommate? :)

Anybody who would consider The Battalion a major publication needs some therapy.

Touche. I got a degree in accounting...not English. :D

20. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

arkoe,

Let us address your "side note". Has a UT student ever been caught with drugs? Sure. However, I do not recall a case of a UT b-ball player or do many D-1 schools have basketball players selling ecstasy at parties with 23 syringes and viles of roids in their truck, getting busted by the cops at 2 am? Do you? If so please tell me.... I doubt I will hear from you again on this one.

Do I think there is a strong possibility there is one or more UT football players using steroids? Sure.

I doubt very serious that any of the Big XII schools have a football roster entirely steroid-free, or 95% or so of the rest of college football for that matter.

But back to the original point, until TJ, Brandon, James or any other active player is slinging pills with roids in the car, I just will not find your point to be a valid one.