1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Is Donovan Clingan at the TOP of the Houston Rockets big board? We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Aggie Football

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Greg#3, Jul 8, 2002.

1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Just about anyone would be an upgrade.

A&M would probably have to promote from within, or hire an up and coming coach at a smaller program like a Stanford or something.

Perhaps the Purdue coach, Joe Tiller would be the answer? I would think that A&M is more of a "football school" than Purdue, and money should not be a problem. Also, Tiller has ties to the state of Texas. What the Aggies need is an offensive genius, and that is what Tiller is.

2. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Gary Kubiak anyone?

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The word that I have heard is that Kubiak turned down a few NFL offers becuase he has basically been promised to be RC's successor. He'd be one hell of an upgrade.

4. ESource

ESource Member

That would be too smart of a move by the Aggies........:D

5. Refman

As opposed to the long list of smart moves by the Texas "we haven't won a national championship since hiring you 5 years ago, you're fired" Longhorns. You know...located in Austin "every coach is the next Darryl Royal for 5 minutes then he sucks", Texas. :D

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Although a few years back I was hoping we could get Gary Kubiak back, I think he is out of our league now. It looks to me like he is one of the next in line for an NFL head coaching job. I just don't see who we can get that will be an upgrade. No matter what anyone says, RC is a hell of a recruiter, always has been. Maybe having his offensive cordinator stick around for more than one year will help out the offense.

7. Refman

Bogey--

Same old tired story. That RC is a great recruiter. Yadda yadda.

The fact of the matter is that being a great recruiter isn't worth a damn if you can't utilize the talent once you have it. RC has spent the last 2 decades exhibiting an ineptitude at utilizing talent. He can only hide under the skirt of his recruiting prowess (which has become questionable) for so long.

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Was RC really a great recruiter? Or did he benifit from the downfall of Texas and OU during the early 90's? I would suggest the latter.

Also, I am no great fan of RC, but he is one of the top defensive coaches in the nation - there is not a lot of talent on that A&M defense - Sammy Davis and Jarrod Penright are good, Ty Warren is enigmatic and everyone else is sorta so-so, some are ok, some are sucky - so the fact that they still have a good defense is testament to RC. I think you underestimate his abilities.

Also, I would look at the Florida job search as a possible harbinger of the trouble of expecting to get a good coach - Florida is, frankly, a better job than A&M, and they had to settle for Ron Zook. I have my doubts that A&M will be able to land an excellent coach if they get rid of RC.

9. Refman

We might not be able to land an "excellent" coach, but we CAN land a coach with a system that will work. It's not always about the best coach, but the best man for the particular job. RC has done nothing but underachieve.

10. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I think he is a good recruiter, the problem is he's just an absolutely horrible offensive coach and it some how rubs off on his offensive coordinators. He's a top-notch defensive coordinator, but not a very good head coach. Maybe the Aggies don't have a whole lot of talent on defense right now, but they've produced as many defensive NFL players as anybody over the past decade. So, they definitely were bringing in the talent. The problem now is he's just not as good of a recruiter as Brown or Stoops, who are two of the best in the nation.

I think a lot of Aggies, like myself, don't care if they go hit and miss with another coach. It's time for a change for better or for worse. When a team shows no signs of improvement for several years it's time to mix things up. Replace RC!

11. ESource

ESource Member

Mack Brown, Rick Barnes, and Auggie Garrido. NOT too bad, huh? Pretty smart of 'ol DeLoss.....;)

12. Refman

Oh yeah Esource....REAL smart.

The problem in Austin is absolutely NO notion of building a program. The word I have heard is that if the Horns are not in the title game in the next 2 years that Brown will be on the hotseat...ridiculous.

I can remember not long ago that Makovic was the next coming of Daryl Royal.

Garrido runs a great program...no question.

As I recall Melvin Watkins and his Aggies beat Barnes and his Horns at the Erwin Center last season. Hmmmm....:cool:

13. Bogey

That's what worries me, I think that there is a greater chance at a miss than success. I don't think I can stomach going through what Notre Dame has been going through with their poor seasons (although I think Willingham? will do good there). By the way, not many coaches come right in and win a National title, most have to go through a few bad seasons before the hit pay dirt. If you look at the records (with the exception of bowl games) I would put RC's up with almost anybody's.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Um, so keeping a coach who obviously isn't going to get you anything more than a 9 win season <B>is</B> building a program?

Say what you want about us over here in Austin, but we've got a #5 finish, a sweet 16 finish, and a national championship in the three major sports in the last year.

But I guess that isn't as good as winning it all in Women's Rodeo. :rolleyes:

15. ESource

ESource Member

AND table-tennis!:D :p

16. ESource

ESource Member

Lies! Lies! Vicious lies being spread by Aggie infiltrators! I guess we're going to have to fire the entire team that cleans up Bevo's "offerings" just to be on the safe side(and to clear out the rumor spreaders).....:p

#76 ESource, Jul 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2002
  17. Buck Turgidson

Even blind squirrels find nuts every once in a while.

18. Refman

RC has had almost 2 decades. Sheesh!

And a LOT of his record was put up against Rice, UH, SMU and TCU. A little deceptive I think. RC had teams that destroyed the SWC, but put him in against a good opponent and he folds like a house of cards.

Uhhh....yeah. I heard that on Extra Points a few months ago if I recall correctly. Channel 13 sports isn't exactly Aggie friendly. As you may know their sports director, Bob Allen, has ties to the t-sips.

19. dttd888

dttd888 Member

For all those that say Young will be better than McNeal, or vice-versa, it's all a matter of opinion. For every website or poll that says Young is the best QB, you can find one that says the same about McNeal. I have followed Aggie Football very closely for the past 3 years. With our new Offensive Coordinator, i think McNeal will be perfect for this offense.
    Some of ya'll are mentioning Reggie's masterful performance in the championship game with a sprained ankle. Most don't realize he also had a cracked rib. That's gutsy, pardon the pun.
    One more stat about Reggie, he played less than 20 plays on defense, and led the team in interceptions.
    As for the receiving game, i seriously believe that only UT's trio is better than A&M's. Take senior Bethel Johnson, T-Murph, the playmaking Jamaar Taylor, and add the speed of Terrence Thomas, and Goynes and that is an explosive bunch. All w/ experience now too. The newcomer Riley will step in nicely too.
    Anyone know what's going on with Porter? That guy has great hands.

20. Bogey

dttd888, if you want to include newcomers for our receiving corp, don't forget about that converted QB I was talking about in Chad Schroeder. That kid is an athlete as witnessed by his running performance in the Title game.

I think you bring up a good point about comparing Young and McNeal. It seems athletically, they are about equal so it makes it hard to say which will be better. One thing that is noticable about McNeal though, is that he is a winner. He will do whatever it takes. I don't think I've seen that in Aggie QB since Bucky, and he wasn't near the athlete or passer that McNeal will be.