1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[agent-sporting news] Cubs to trade Sosa

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Jan 27, 2005.

1. msn

msn Member

I'm not stupid enough to make assumptions. I never said there was or wasn't. I have said. over the past few weeks:

1) You and I have no idea what really went on within the organization.
    2) You and I have no idea how to run a baseball franchise, at least not when compared to McLane, Purpura, or (especially) Hunsicker.
    And, as an extension of 1):
    3) To dogmatically declare as fact something about which you have *no* information--NONE--is stupid.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

in other words, you don't have anything to base an assumption on

Fact...our opening lineup, as of this minute, includes *Bidge*, *Burke*,* Bags*,* ensberg*, *Lane*, *everett*, *ausmus* and *palmiero*

3. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

OK...homework is done now...you have used your new vocabulary word in 2 separate sentences

4. msn

msn Member

DING DING DING!!!! Give the boy a sucker, he got the point!

The piece of the puzzle you're missing, however, is neither do you.

The lack of results does not prove the lack of plan, only the lack of results. There is only a correlational, not a causal relationship.

5. msn

msn Member

Good move, when you can't match someone's logic, to point out that neither can you match his vocabulary.

Be careful going into a pistol fight with a cap gun.

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

Would you like me to post the CURRENT LINEUP again?:rolleyes:

Why you refuse to acknowledge that my assumption is based on the FACT that other than signing Burba and Franco , NOTHING has been done? You must be a college kid with all the answers...now i understand.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't realize opening day was tomorrow.

Is the game televised?

8. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

I said currently...as of today...i see you have a lot to add to the "drayton is king" fanclub rally

9. msn

msn Member

I didn't refuse it at all. I said:
    In fact, I have also stated that the offseason has really sucked.

Thank you so much for the timely and illuminant illustration. You have assumed, based on your ill-conceived perception that I missed your point, that I am a smart-assed college kid who has yet to learn life's hard knocks. As a matter of fact, I am a smart-assed father of two in his mid-30's. Note that I haven't made *any* assumptions about you. Or the Astros, for that matter.

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

And my point is we're not playing a ball game today, tomorrow, next week, or next month for that matter.

Yes, our offseason has sucked, but I'd trust Purpura to know a lot more about Chris Burke, Jason Lane, and Wily Taveras along with the medical prognosis of Lance Berkman than you do.

12. msn

msn Member

Look, if you want to ignore where I directly addressed your "supporting evidence" and told you that it didn't really follow, go ahead. Excellent cutting-and-pasting, quoting "I didn't refuse at all" and cutting the reference which immediately followed it.

You have *no* information to support your continuous drones of "NO PLAN B!!!!!". All you have are the current results, and the lack of results does not prove the lack of a plan. Can you really not wrap your brain around this? If you cannot, perhaps look up the meaning of non sequitur.

13. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

Going with the younger guys and virtually rebuilding is not a plan B after you get within 1 game of the World Series...it is damage control..not after you cut 9 million off the payroll by letting Kent go...not after getting played in a negotiation game that you are supposed to be well versed in...not after Miller just walks out the door for a couple million...not after Boras held you hostage while all of the other free agents and trade bait went elsewhere...and for you or any other true fan to tell me that going into the Carlos Beltran saga that rebuilding was a plan B or that you would be satisfied with rebuilding as a plan B, i say you are full of it.

14. msn

msn Member

Dear God, you so don't get it.

I know some folks have said the plan was to "go with the younger guys." I am aware that Purpura *mentioned* it once as a *possibility* in January.

What I've said to you, ad nauseum, is that you and I aren't privy to the conversations that have gone on in the Astros organization or between organizations. In other words, we really *don't* know whether or not internally they seriously considered pursuing Finley, or trading for Winn, or pursuing Burnitz. We have no idea if they've had several trade discussions begun and not worked out. You and I don't know that they didn't call Fatty Boras to inquire about Ordoñez and get laughed at, although I doubt it. Because we don't know if they tried things or not, to say that the Astros had no plan other than to default to whoever is currently on the roster is a completely illogical assumption. That is why I cracked about clairevoyance. Do you get it?

And, for the record, if rebuilding *was* the alternate plan for the Astros, as a "true fan", I am *all* for building for the future if your present falls apart. If, in your estimation, that makes me full of it, then so be it. At least my vocabulary, by your own admission, is larger than yours.

15. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

*It's* *you* *that* *doesnt* *get* *it*...

name 2

January what? 9th?

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

yeah...and I'm making assumptions without backup?:rolleyes:

17. msn

msn Member

The point was, as I specifically spelled out, is that we really don't know. Your saying they didn't is as much an assumption as it would be if someone said they did. I have said *neither*.

Are you really this densely misunderstanding the point, or are you just jerking my chain? Because, I won't assume one way ore the other.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

NJ, all I can say is this:

To assume what you're assuming...you have to ASSUMe that the guys in the front office are trying really hard to fail at their professions.

To assume what we're assuming, you have to assume that they're trying to do their jobs. They may not be successful, but they're trying to succeed if possible.

--

on the point where you say "I'm not talking about opening day, i'm talking about right now"...you can't judge the offseason as of right now unless you think it will be like this on opening day. Otherwise, you should have said the day after the season ended "WE SUCK. We have so many Free Agents as of right now. This team is terrible. This would be the lineup as of today"

19. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

Buddy...i ain't the one misunderstanding...my assumption is based on the fact that our opening day lineup stinks right now...not to mention, when trades and negotiations fall apart, you would hear about them in the media (i.e. when we/texas decided against a Soriano deal....or when we decided against signing burnitz...when we were in talks with franco etc) because the Astros wouldn't want anyone thinking they are sitting there with their thumbs in their behinds and their fingers crossed.

20. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

bad analogy...the day after the season, we hadn't lost anyone...and had exclusive negotiating rights with Beltran...oh, and there were plenty of free agents available and teams with cost cuttting moves looking to deal