1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[agent-sporting news] Cubs to trade Sosa

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Jan 27, 2005.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

Prior is even better;)

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I would blame it on my keyboard... One of those brain farts I guess. It looked funny right before I submitted the reply. :p

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He did get the game winning dribbler in that 16 or 17 inning game in that series though.

4. Nick

Nick Member

...which shouldn't have counted because the corked bat was discovered in the next few days.

5. lalala902102001

Sosa has completely lost perception of the strike zone. He strikes out every time if you throw him a high fastball out of the zone. A few years ago he used to be able to draw a lot of walks. Not any more.

There is a reason why the Cubs haven't been able to give Sammy away. Nobody wants him at the money that he's getting. The Cubs are not going to pay more than 5-6 million dollars of Sosa's salary. That's why he's stuck with them. As a divisional rival, the Astros should not do them a favor and take their biggest clubhouse cancer out of their hands.

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

Sosa also walked out on the Cubs on the last day of the season.

Declining productivity, injury risk, headcase. He's a triple-threat!

7. francis 4 prez

yeah, but you gotta assume he was corking at that point. i wanna say he had managed to strike out 5 times in that game up to that point. maybe that was his breaking point and he finally brought out the "special" bat for the 16th inning. the reason it sticks out so much isn't just the K's, but the fact it was so many fastballs, and he wasn't even close. it felt like wade could've held up the 1 finger signal himself and still blown sosa away straight down the middle.

edit: yeah 3K's in 4 AB against miller and then 5 K's against the murderer's row of oswalt, dotel, lidge, and wagner in the next game.

#47 francis 4 prez, Jan 27, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I meant to put a smilie. :) That series was awesome...went to two out of the three games. That 16th inning game was the one I missed. Thank God too because it was freezing!

9. francis 4 prez

good choice on the miss. i had forgotten that was a 1-0 game. freezing and boring and a loss, not a good combo.

10. gunn

gunn Member

He also blasted a walkoff out in the street off Lidge. But that doesn't mean I want him on our team.

11. BigM

BigM Member

i remember one game, fairly early in oswalt's career when he struck sosa out on three straight curveballs and just made him look like me if i was batting. it was just some nasty pitching and i always think about that when he faces sosa.

12. Nick

Nick Member

I remember that game clearly... it was in 2001, and we were still chasing the Cubs en-route to eventually winning the division that year (with the Co-ardinals).

Sosa had no clue how to hit Oswalt... as did many other hitters that year (his 2001 (rookie) season may end up being, start to start, the best he ever was... unhittable).

13. sums41

sums41 Member

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I didn't post that as a reason why we should pick him up. I'm completely against picking him up.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

If Sosa hadn't cheated us out of the Division Championship, and literally, he cheated and got caught, then I'd do it. But you want clean players on the team right? Not somebody who is gonna stuff there bat with cork.

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Member

funny....i wonder if you guys complained when Mike Scott was blowing away the mets in 86...or Billy Hatcher for that matter

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm agnostic, as you know, but I might show up for this one. ;)

18. MadMax

MadMax Member

all are welcome! :)

19. Uprising

Uprising Member

Man, I would so be there. No way in hell do I want Corky on this team!

20. francis 4 prez

it ain't cheatin' if you don't get caught.