1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Agent says 2B Loretta will sign with Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by famicom, Jan 4, 2007.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

only joking, bro. :)

2. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

ace unhappy????

big shocker.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Well it's a given he is a white guy, I just was trying to figure out what "our kind of player" is other than white.

You know Houston Astros "root for the white guys"

On a serious note I can't wait for April when someone calls John and Lance b****ing about no black guys on the team.

4. robgue

robgue Member
    Supporting Member

this is a great pick up. one year. very good producer for little money. great for "insurance" and keeping ensberg on his toes. :)
    now about that 4 spot...

5. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

this guy is still a very good hitter, he should be starting at SS. He was an all-star last yr.

6. msn

msn Member

I get so disgusted w/people bringing this up. Even when someone's joking about it, it's just not funny. Like trying to douse a fire using kerosene not funny.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Ease up on the Loretta at SS talk. He hasn't played the position since 2002. He's been solely a 2B guy the last 3 seasons, with a few games at 1B. I do really like the signing anyway - he's a solid hitter who can backup multiple IF positions. Find 1 more starting pitcher and it will be a very successful offseason.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.eagletribune.com/pusports/local_story_005120453?keyword=secondarystory+page=0

Loretta signs with Houston

At approximately 2 p.m. on the West Coast, Houston Astros owner Drayton McClain called Mark Loretta, hoping to convince the second baseman to come to his team. Three hours later, the deal was done, and Loretta had officially become a former member of the Boston Red Sox.

While signing a one-year, $2.5 million deal to return to Houston, where he spent a month with in 2002, was certainly a welcome scenario, Loretta had made it clear throughout the offseason that Boston was where he would have preferred to end up.

"At the Winter Meetings, my agent just said, How about a million dollars?' It wasn't a really serious conversation, but the point is that would have been, all things considered, my first option if there would have been any interest on the team's side," said Loretta from his San Diego-area home moments after returning from undergoing a physical for the Astros.

"We basically said, 'Do you have any interest at any level at any dollar amount?' And basically the answer was no."

Loretta figures to backup third baseman Morgan Ensberg, second baseman Craig Biggio and first baseman Lance Berkman. The majority of his playing time will likely come at second. Biggio hit just .246 last season and need 70 hits to reach 3,000 for his career.

"I really think it is the best option available to me now," Loretta said. "I'm excited about it."

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

A good signing...I like it alot...

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not to mention, we already have the best defensive SS in the game. Jason Jennings and his sinker are gonna wanna make love with AE's defense.

11. msn

msn Member

Man, baseball can't get here soon enough.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think I'm getting a clue.