1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Agent says 2B Loretta will sign with Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by famicom, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

2.5 mill plus incentives isn't exactly cheap when Drayton is looking to begin wrapping up the spending for the offseason. And when it adds to a spot where we don't have needs and doesn't add to a spot where we are in need (pitching), yeah, it's a bad signing.

We have an old 2b that still gives us very nice production in terms of doubles and home runs. A light hitting shortstop that saves alot of runs with his glove. (You cannot sit Everett). and a 3rd baseman in Lamb that could give us .300, 25, 80 if he received consistent starts.

Check the current depth chart on astros.com. Wandy and Albers are penciled in at 4 & 5 at this time. I realize that alot can change in spring training. But the Astros front office as well as Garner have made statements this winter that they want to keep Sampson in the bullpen.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wow... no matter what, there'll always be somebody b****ing about something. First of all, Eric Bruntlett isn't "Mr. utility man-USA" or whatever you think he is. He's serviceable, and won't make a fool of himself out there, but he's essentially a nobody (especially if you need somebody to play everyday because of an injury). Secondly, as said before, with a 2B turned CF as your everyday OF, somebody needs to be available to spell both Burke and Biggio. I doubt Loretta can play CF (since he never has), so Bruntlett fills in for Burke... and Loretta fills in for Biggio.

But wouldn't you be complaining when Biggio hits his .200 in July-August, and you'd be blaming Astros management for simply hanging on to him for publicity, and not having a viable backup? Wouldn't you be complaining when Garner has nobody to start at 3B against left-handers (when Morgan goes out with a fingernail injury)?

So your biggest concern is the #4 and #5 spots of a pitching rotation.... and you want Tomo Okha to be the answer (or should I say "savior"). I'd rather see Albers/Nieve develop into those roles, than fork over money to Okha, Armas, or whatever other retread coming off seasons with 4.82 ERA's you so desire to pitch in games by your #4 or #5 guys.

Better yet, keep Okha in the NL, so we can tee off on him some more this year.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Because I epected Loretta to be a starter somewhere...
    Because Bigg is still Bigg...
    Because he took less money - by a large percentage...
    Because I had heard nothing of interest in either direction...

I'm happy for the deal, just surprised. No one else is? That surprises me, too.

4. msn

msn Member

Just as pleasantly surprised as you. Awesome, awesome signing.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Surprised--sorta. This is a classic Astros signing, with no one hearing the rumors until it was done. Gotta like that.. though of course it wasn't some huge Soriano-type player.

Man, Lee, Jennings, Loretta...really happy with the offseason thus far!

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

In.

Too busy at work to listen to the radio and just found about this after logging into the board. I LOVE this pick up! We should have never let him go in the first place.

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

How about the Groundhog?

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Morgan's problem isn't sitting out with wussy injuries. His problem is playing through injuries that he should sit out for.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

add Woody to your list.

10. msn

msn Member

Hot dawg! That's probably the trick!

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wow, so far the Astros have had a SOLID offseason! :eek:

Man I can't wait till next season!

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

and it's not over yet.

does anyone have a list of FAs still availible?

13. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

well we will just agree to disagree on his value to the stros. but to say it's a horrible signing for a ONE YEAR DEAL is just going way over the top.

and btw...from the link (TY ARKOE!) posted above I saw that your boy tomokazu is being pursued by 6+ teams and is asking 18 to 21 mil over 3 years.

15. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

that old 2b bats 177 on the road lamb just cant hit leftys loretta is a good extra guy to have around

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

"I don't think there's any controversy there," Loretta said. "Craig is the second baseman. There was no guarantee of me playing any one position on an everyday basis. It'll be a matter of [manager] Phil [Garner] finding a way to mix me in there, to give guys days off. You never can have too many good players on a team. Everybody is playing to win."

Love guys like that, you can never get too many of them.

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

18. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

19. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

me too....i still think he will end up hitting well enuf so that we cannot keep his bat out of the lineup..and force us to make a trade of some sort....which wouldnt be so bad

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

haha forgot about Woody! I guess that was my excitement about Loretta.. and I guess Woody is the move I'm least-excited about. I do think he'll be solid, and the "known commodity" factor is important. Just not a "sexy" signing I guess, haha