1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Agent says 2B Loretta will sign with Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by famicom, Jan 4, 2007.

1. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

because it's the rangers.

2. msn

msn Member

Word.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and it's really really hot playing outdoor games in Texas in July and August.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

But that wasn't the deal or what I said, so I don't know why you quoted me.

I said that it's great we signed Loretta at his price as a plan B instead of Huff at a much more expensive price.

If we could have had Huff at his money and gotten something decent for Ensberg in a trade, I'd imagine that would have been done. But I don't think there was any value out there for Ensberg. Nothing worth making that deal though.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really like it. He's pretty even righty vs. lefty, and given Biggio's extreme splits both home/away and righty/lefty in recent years, he's a good guy to platoon with Biggio once Bidge is in the 3000 area.

I think he's still a pretty good defensive 2B as a late inning replacement that allows Burke to stay in CF.

It's just a great insurance policy.
    1. If Luke Scott or Hunter Pence fail, it gives you a full year to look at Burke in CF. If Burke is good there, and you have an unfavorable opinion of Scott or Pence, it gives you the flexibility to acquire a 2B or a CF for next year.

xiki - Why do you insist this is surprising? Purpura flat out said we were looking to upgrade the utility position.

#45 NIKEstrad, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  6. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Nice pick up by the Timmy Poo-Poo.
    Lorretta is solid ball player.

7. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Purpura is fat.

thanks Purpura... who is fat... LOLOL

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it is surprising to xiki when the astros ever do anything he agrees with!! ;) :D

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Ditto. All we need is Roger back and we will have one heck of a team.

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

RJ going back to ZOna....done deal

sure hope that wasnt to free up Clemens' money....not that they ever need to free up money

#50 NJRocket, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just like Pettite, I won't hold it against Roger if he wasnts to go back to NY... but I highly doubt his ability to be successful for an entire season there.

Thus, I really don't see it... Roger is far more concerned about his image/stats/performance every game. He knows how much tougher it is to bring it in the AL. If he's up for the challenge, so be it... but it wouldn't suprise me if he turned them down.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Insider rumor mill has his agent saying that he has already discussed a 1/2 season thing with rocket and that he will end up in hou, bos or ny

13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Love the signing ... he will get a lot of ABs at a lot of different positions and is excellent insurance to have at multiple positions

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

excelllent signing. this is one of the best deals i have seen this offseason. i think he will repeat what he did last time he was in houston when he batted .424!!!

15. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

This is a very bad signing. Not because Lorretta is a bad player because he is certainly not. It's a bad signing because we do not need him. Our infield is set. Ensberg and Lambo at third. Everett and Bruntlett at short. Biggio and Burke at 2nd with Bruntlett able to slide over. And Lance at first. That's a very good infield. We don't need Lorretta.

Would have been better served to take that 2.5 million and sign a solid #4 pitcher (like Ohka). Would have been better than going into the season looking at the likes of Wandy and Albers in the rotation.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Signing the Loretta shouldn't prevent the Astros from signing Ohka, if they so desire.

17. msn

msn Member

They're not done yet. For all we know, Ensberg or Bruntlett or both could be gone before spring training (I know they just signed Bruntlett).

We have tradeable pieces now.

Like wes said, there's still money to sign someone like Ohka--and we don't know that they haven't been trying.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

so it's a bad signing to get a very solid hitting and fielding utility player this cheap for 1 year? WTF?

you do remember we have an old 2b, a very light hitting SS, and a 3b who had shoulder problems last year?

further...we can still spend money on a crappy vet pitcher. also wandy/albers will not be in the rotation over sampson.

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It was somewhat suprising when I heard it, but it does make a lot of sense. If any one of our infielders or outfields falters or gets injured, we would start to look pretty thin. Loretta erases that fear.

Plus, Burke can't be the primary backup to Bidge this season cause he's gonna have his hands full in center; So slide Loretta in at 2nd.

Yeah it'd be nice to have a number 4 instead of relying on a Wandy..who knows maybe they're still trying to get something done. But if they're not, and you take the money you spent on Loretta and use it for a number 4, well for that money you're gonna get only a marginal pitcher anyways. So the team really did spend their money wisely.

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously dude. Two suggestions:

You appear to be the unhappiest person I've ever run across. Your eternal negativism borders on genuine pathology. Consult a professional. If you don't get help from the Clutch BBS, get help from somewhere.