1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Agent says 2B Loretta will sign with Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by famicom, Jan 4, 2007.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I watched him last year play for Boston. His range has deteriorated. If he plays SS for you for any serious amount of time something has gone horribly wrong. Good backup, but shouldn't take playing time away from Burke. Too bad he can't play catcher/

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're not going to get a rise out of people in here by saying a guy plays bad defense (which Loretta doesn't... he just doesn't make spectacular plays).

This is a fan base that would throw the most spectacular defensive SS in baseball under the bus, simply because he isn't hitting .300 and bashing 20 HR's out of the bottom of the order. Sure, having Ausmus there as well doesn't help matters either... but its all surmountable if guys like Ensberg, Burke, and Scott do what they're supposed to do.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Astros.com announces ...

Vet Loretta agrees to join Astros
    Career second baseman will fill utility role
    By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Infielder Mark Loretta had offers from two Texas teams but decided to sign with the Astros, his agent, Bob Garber, confirmed on Thursday. An announcement is expected today.

Loretta agreed to a one-year deal worth $2.5 million, but the contract could be worth as much as $3.5 million with incentives. The deal was finalized late Wednesday night.

The Rangers offered $1 million more, Garber said, and Loretta also had an offer from the Reds, but he picked Houston, partly because of an aggressive recruiting job by Roy Oswalt and Brad Ausmus.

"Roy called [club owner] Drayton McLane and said, 'We need this guy,'" said Garber, who also represents Oswalt. "That's how the ball started rolling. Drayton said, 'OK, I'll call your agent tomorrow.'"

Loretta, who played for the Astros for part of the 2002 season, has primarily been a second baseman for most of his 12-year career. But with Craig Biggio entrenched at second base and expected to log his 3,000th hit in 2007, it's likely Loretta will be used in a utility role. Loretta also has extensive experience at first, third and shortstop.

Loretta clearly provides insurance at third in case Morgan Ensberg, coming off a 2006 season during which he hit .235 and battled injury issues, does not make a successful comeback.

"[Second base is] Biggio's position," Garber said. "[Loretta will] fill in, play around the infield, a little third, short and first once in a while."

Loretta will also share the utility label with Eric Bruntlett, who recently avoided arbitration by signing a one-year deal.

Loretta played for the Boston Red Sox last season. The 12-year veteran also has played for the Brewers, Astros and Padres and has a .299 career average.

4. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Wish he still had range at SS because offensively he would be a big upgrade over Everett.

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good move Astros!

As mentioned Burke will be locked into CF.....This really gives us flexibility.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This blindsided me. Good deal, yes, but a stunner as (a) Loretta was still a starter and (b) 'stros are deep in b/u infielders.

Therefore, I assume a trade is in the offing and/or Loretta is heir apparent to...Garner.

7. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Roy called Uncle Drayton lol

Roy is a ****ing bad ass!!!

Who (a player) calls the owner of a team to tell them to sign a guy? Nobody

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Um, I guessing it happens more often than you think.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

First of all... I hope Ausmus is the heir apparent.

Second of all, the Astros aren't that deep in b/u infielders... especially when you consider that their current everyday CF isn't really a CF... and Bruntlett will have to be ready to play that postion (which he can) if neccessary.

So, Bruntlett is our primary backup CF, and secondary 2B/SS/3B
    and Loretta is our primary backup 2B, and secondary SS/3B/1B
    and Lamb is our primary backup 3B, and secondary 1B (and LF or 2B only if absolutely neccesary).

And, you still have to keep in mind that Bruntlett is not (and has never been) an everyday player... thus if there was an injury to one of Everett/Burke/Biggio, this team would be pretty paper thin if they only had Bruntlett to save the day. Loretta can still play everyday (just not as good as he used to)... and could fill in easily.

10. texanskan

A GM yes, an owner I don't think so but then again I really don't know.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ausmus, Loretta - Casey Stengel as heir apparent assumes a busload of things. I threw it in trying to understand why Loretta, a good player and STARTER would sign for LESS money in Houston as a utility guy. I am having trouble with the arithmetic.

As for a trade, why not? Lamb would bring value, for example, would he not? The pitching staff is not finalized, is it? I keep hearing Tigers are lusting after Luke. Theo is lusting after Lidge. Manny is in play and will seemingly require a third team to make a deal happen. Therefore, why can one not assume that this places the Astros squarely in some deal's headlights?

But, regardless, why sign for 40% less here when there is little time to 'make up the difference'? There must be a sound reason and heir apparent has a resonant sound (which may well be a false echo).

12. Buck Turgidson

Because not all people are always about money: maybe he likes some of the players; maybe he liked his brief stint in Houston; maybe he couldn't get a deal as a starter elsewhere (Rangers & Reds already have starting 2B/3Bmen); maybe he realizes he'll get plenty of PT at 2nd & his incentives are likely to kick in; maybe the 2B market was weak; maybe he thinks the Stros have a better chance to win than the Rangers & Reds; maybe he flipped a coin; maybe it was a combination of these things.

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'll bet he plays in at least 120 games if not injured and gets close to 500 ABs. He signed here for a lot less because he was promised a lot of playing time and he apparently thinks we have a good shot at the WS. What other reasons are there?

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Maybe. Or maybe not. Will you concede the signing is 'out of left field' (sic) and surprising on many levels?

15. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

THESE are the type of deals the Astros need to make. The Cardinals have made a World Series out of signings like this and trading for proven vets, i.e. reggie sanders, david eckstein, jeff suppan, etc. A guy like Loretta, especially if injuries hit guys like Biggio or Lance or Ensberg has another bad year, will be invaluable.

He's a better signing than Huff, IMO.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pretty similiar to when they signed Viz... or Mike Lamb. Sometimes you need veteran backups.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

hell of a signing for the amount of money we put into it.

For everyone who always makes claims like "we don't have a Plan B" blah blah blah.. can you admit that this was a great Plan B (or maybe Plan A) after not re-signing Huff? Not the same player by any means, but he fills some of the same roles. More versatility, less power, older, better defensively, etc.

18. Buck Turgidson

A bit, I guess, given that there hasn't been much rumbling about him & the Stros. But in context, no. Purp's on record saying he wanted to improve the bench/utility spots this offseason, and the market made Loretta available.

"You have to deal with whatever the market presents. This particular year, there are a lot of second basemen out there but there aren't a lot of everyday jobs for second basemen. My position right now is to wait and see."
    "My mind-set is that I'm not going to base my decision solely on finances. It will be more on a basis of an opportunity to play on a regular basis."

Mark Loretta, 2 weeks ago

19. texanskan

I'll take Huff at his money over Ensberg at his any day of the week.

Still that does not take anything away from this being a good deal.

20. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

totally agree....love seeing roy do that!!!