1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aga Khan Islamic Community Center to be built on Allen Parkway and Montrose

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, May 24, 2013.

1. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Don't some muslims claim that Ismailis (Aga Khan's sect) aren't real muslims or vice versa?

2. A00man

A00man Member

Arrogant self entitled muslims.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

So what you are saying is that you want to be SwoLy. Good luck with that...

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

[​IMG]

:confused::confused::eek::rolleyes::mad::):grin::eek::(:(:cool::p;)

5. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

Yeah it's a pretty muddy situation. It mainly stems from the fact that the Aga Khan (this rich caucasian looking dude) is put on this pope-like pedestal as a guide for their sect. I think I've heard claims that he's the "Walking, talking Qur'an". In Islam, the authorities for guidance is the Qur'an and the Hadith (practices/sayings of the Prophet). That's all that is needed for daily life. Because of these texts that we're revealed during the Prophet Muhammad's time, there was no need for Prophets to come after this. The religion was deemed complete and the texts were enough to guidance.

Mainstream Muslims see this Aga Khan figure as Un-Islamic because of the almost-divine authority he claims to have and how he can override rules and laws explicitly stated in the Qur'an (ie forgiving sins, instructing that it's unneccessary to do the 5 daily prayers, changing the conditions of fasting during Ramadan etc.) and apparently they disregard the Hadith. This directly contradicts the Islamic creed of their being 1 Supreme Authoritative God with no partners and associates.

I'm not one to judge them as I know that they do a lot of good for their communities, that's for God to sort out when the time comes.

A funny sidenote...when I was younger (about 15), I tutored a neighbor's and friend of my mom's son. I'd come over to his place every weekday after school and tutor him and help him understand his homework etc. I thought they were just plain ol Muslims like me and my family but I found it weird that in their house, it always smelled funny and there was pictures of some old, balding white guy on their walls.

I went home and asked my mom about the pictures and asked if that was the Pope or something. My mother replied, "No, that's Aga Khan, they believe him to be some sort of God or something." So from then on I referred to them for a while as "White Boy Worshippers" :p

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Get off your high horse. There is no such thing as "Official English." Maybe you would be better off with Spanish of French.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My only concern here is what will happen to the dude who dances on roller-skates at that intersection every afternoon.

8. da1

da1 Member

There is a proper way to write and speak English.

9. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Opposite the cemetery? I thought that was the reason they kept that land clear

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah I'm not very familiar with that area but I looked it up on Google Maps and that cemetary seems pretty large. Will be hard for them to hold their breath (to prevent the spirits of the dead from entering their body) while worshipping at this new place, but if they're able to do so that would show great dedication.

11. SK34

SK34 Member

This is basically it. Btw half of my family is Ismaili while the other half is Sunni Muslims. Most of us converted from Islamilis to being Sunni Muslims as we realized that it might not be the best religion for us or it is not right to us. Some of my family members are still looking to convert to Sunni Muslims and others still remain. It's up to them to decide what's wrong and what's right.

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

oh man....now my dad is going to bug me again to go pray here. i live right by memorial park and this place is less then five minutes from my house. my current excuse for not going to JK is thats it too far. :grin:

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

IF I were a government agency I would take an extra look at all organizations associated with the Tea Party and thier applications for non-profit status.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

so... Mosque = hate group?

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

We don't like your kind around here. You kill buffalo and rape lands we live in.

[​IMG]

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

My brother lives right near that intersection, and the brick building that used to be there was beautifully constructed, with the brickwork looking like it had to be from at least 1930 or 1940. I was sad when they demolished it, and I was even sadder to see it sit vacant for such a long time. I'm glad to see the land being put to use.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefuly the angry Ron Paul nuts always picketing the Federal Reserve half a mile away won't migrate down the street.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i heard this guy only hangs out with the glitterati and even had a beach named after him on the sardinian costa smeralda. but then he got caught cheating on one of his wifes with a mere flight attendant and lost face with the jet set

19. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

All the Aga Khan devotee's pay dues every year so their royals can take private jets to Capri and maintain their billion dollar estates in England with hundreds of servants. Plus the guys only marry tall blonde's to keep the bloodline pure. Pretty sad this is all connected in someway to Islam, and the suckers keep falling for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. DreamRoxCoogFan

I'm shocked that bigtexxx and ATW haven't shown up yet in this thread.

Also, Muslims shouldn't be judging one another to determine who are the "real Muslims" and "fake Muslims." If you call yourself a Muslim, then you should be accepted as such at face value. I'm not Ismaili and I don't agree with their teachings, but I still won't judge them. Acceptance, not exclusion and labeling.