1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aftermath: The Islamic Republic of Turkey

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A peaceful, secular country is about to become the next Iran right before our very own eyes.

Turkey coup: Purge widens to education sector
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36838347

Turkey's education board demands 1,577 university deans resign
    http://news.trust.org/item/20160719140109-a2ayr/?source=hpMostPopularTheWire

Turkey revokes licenses of 24 radio and television stations
    https://aboutcroatia.net/news/world/turkey-revokes-licenses-24-radio-and-television-stations-29740

Turkey government seemed to have list of arrests prepared: EU's Hahn
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...4910&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We need to remove our nukes before they conveniently have a student mob take them.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure that there's a crying need for another thread on the topic, Azadre, but I definitely agree with the danger you see coming from Erdogan. I hope we are wrong.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-cards="hidden" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">RELEASE: 294,548 emails from Turkey's ruling political party, Erdoğan's AKP <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/AKPemails?src=hash">#AKPemails</a> <a href="https://t.co/1Yof7YZpH7">https://t.co/1Yof7YZpH7</a> <a href="https://t.co/GGzGS8oUrY">pic.twitter.com/GGzGS8oUrY</a></p>&mdash; WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) <a href="https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/755500104543526912">July 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I think it's thread worthy. Erdogan leaned to the religious right in Turkey's spectrum, but he's gone full authoritarian now. Looks like it was a plan long percolating. You don't, within a few days, suddenly hatch a plan this massive in response.

Whether or not the "coup" was a false operation, it is being used to launch something that was planned for a long time. It is an overnight transformation of the civil service.

Comparisons to other historical examples of authoritarian takeover are completely appropriate, in my opinion, but those are often much more subtle and slow. Even some of the worst examples you can consider took months or years to do what Erdogan is trying to do in a week. Well, as yoda was say, there is no try. He is doing it.

Maybe the "coup" was a last gasp feeble attempt to stop him from launching this plan. We will probably never know.

I feel badly for the Turkish people, but a very good proportion of them seem to welcome it. A Pew poll (just heard on radio) indicated that only about half the people feel it is legitimate to openly criticize your government. *Half*.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Germany 1933 = Turkey 2016

Sad, but true.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Darn, was really hoping to visit Istanbul.

7. TheresTheDagger

Most people just don't have the fire in the belly to fight for that kind of right. Don't know if I can blame them since our reality is very different from theirs. We can complain in our streets or online in this little website to our hearts content and nobody bothers us (thank you founding fathers). Over there, you risk a LOT more.

I also wonder if those people who answered that poll felt safe answering honestly...

8. B-Bob

The Nazis were so much slower in some ways, but they did not hold the top seat of government early on, I suppose.

TheresTheDagger, that's an interesting question. I can see someone hearing it as "why on earth would they ask me this unless they want to get me in trouble somehow?"

9. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Ok but what about the nukes?

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We won't let anything happen to them.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Turkey right now.

[​IMG]

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

False comparison , Erdogan does't have the hair barber of Hitler. I bit Angela Mirkle with a mustachio will much closer

Oh wait ..

[​IMG]

Now someone will whine over how his plan to visit Germany postponed. I'm not travel agent but if that was your case,find another destination

13. B-Bob

:mad:How dare they hang Maury in effigy!
    But at least they made him kind of trim.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

He will certainly try, it's always been his goal.

IMO there is no chance Erdogan will stage a complete takeover of democracy. Turkey is headed for civil war. If you ask any Turk, they'll tell you this was on the horizon, but the coup certainly accelerated things and gave him an excuse to speed up. Turks, however, are not going to allow it to turn into an Islam state, even if it means destabilizing the foundation of the nation state.

In this case there's a "nato" base and nukes involved so Erdogan won't live very long. In a Turkish civil war, there are plenty of countries who will arm the opposition with weapons, media, etc.

There are going to be no winners in Turkey for a while. Everyone loses, except Europe of course.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The last thing Europe needs is a civil war in Turkey.

Sadly, Erdogan will only relinquish power when he is dead. Turkey needs a more successful Stauffenberg.

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

The last two posts in this thread expressed a personal wishes rather than an educated opinion

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Secularist are usually less willing to die for a cause than religious zealots, but the historical schism within Turkey won't end here. Heavy handed authoritarianism radicalizes the opposition.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

True but...all opposition (political parties that collectively have nearly 50% of voters share) were sided against the coup. mainly they stood against the historical deep army -states
    Now the crack down went without significant resistance , the only place suspected to have a civil war is somewhere in a remot Turkish jail

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No resistance to this purge? Do you expect 1577 university deans, 21,000 teachers, and 15,000 education ministry officials to take up arms and hit the streets? Seriously? That news is from BBC.com. Just how deluded are you? Erdogan is busy destroying Turkish democracy and creating an authoritarian regime, with power concentrated in his hands.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's telling that he is trying to neuter universities. Islam is anti-education. Just look at Pakistan. Same mindset of suppressing enlightenment and education. The dumber the population, the more easily it can be manipulated into believing medieval horsecrap.

Academics are banned from leaving the country now, so that he can more easily incarcerate them. Unbelievable.