1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After signing Ariza, do we match Parsons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TesseracT, Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Match Parsons?

1. Yes

378 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No

242 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

if we match, won't Parsons be another lin or asik whom would eventually hard to trade?

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with this. It makes more sense to match Parsons now.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Parsons will hurt the mavs more than help us. He's a good player, but he's not all that really. Benefited greatly from Howard and harden and this high tempo style.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

That helps a little, thanks.

5. saleem

If he plays well, he can be a trading asset. I feel there will be takers for him.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Asik was easy to trade once we quite asking for 2 1st round picks. Trading Asik and receiving what is essentially a guaranteed lottery pick is actually damn good return.

The salary cap is likely going up to 66 million next season and the threshold is likely going up to 79 million. Unless Chandler's production drops he will very likely be exceptionally easy to trade.

7. pippsux

pippsux Member

Gonna be overpaid like a mutha, but we need to bring back pretty boy.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if morey can build a contender with parsons then im all for it. im not confident in beverley as a starting pg. that would indicate nearly the same offensive system as last season. of course he can get better and i expect him to.

9. Mr Chuck Norris

I wonder if we can cancel the asik deal w/the pels and flip him to NO for Goran

10. saleem

Dallas plays a similar style of basketball to us. He isn't all that really, as you said but he can still benefit us. Ariza can take pressure off from Parsons and Harden too.

I would use Ariza as a 6th man.

11. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Great response...he is the best player on the board left and you have his bird rights to go over the cap. Plus, not matching doesn't free up THAT much more space (for whatever reason this is really hard for folks to understand).

Also, I don't think his contract will be that hard to trade if it ever came to it. I view his contract similar to that of what k-mart was making when we traded for him. With the cap expecting to increase as much as they are predicting in the next couple years, he is actually going to be pretty close to his market value. His contract is big enough to trade for a star if ever the opportunity arises as well. I could see star craved teams who can't attract stars on their own willing to take it on.

12. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I like this. Dragic is better than Lin. Having both Ariza and Parsons actually does make us better.

13. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I would not because I certainly don't want to have $23 million dollars tied up with two guys that play the same position. I would rather go get Birdman, Blatche, Nelson, and Daniels instead of just Parsons.

14. saleem

There is no one left to sign in free agency. I would have liked Deng, but he wasn't interested in us it seems. Match Parsons now.

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

after next year would you rather have Parsons at 15M or 15M in capspace for Love (if he doesn't sign an extension beforehand)?

16. saleem

Blatche is the only one who can help us as a 4, but he is a erratic character.

Parsons has good chemistry with Howard.

17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Exactly....

18. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

No point now if you just signed a guy to the same position who is not fit to play alongside him.

19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

The Rockets are not getting 2009-10 Arizas career, nor are they likely to get 2013-14 Ariza where he had a career year. Though to be honest, the only real difference from 09-10 Ariza and 13-14 is that he shot the ball better last year, but went to the line & assisted less.

Last year he shot 45% from the field after four consecutive years of 41% 41% 39% 39%. His 3 pt % was 40% for the first time in his 12 year career, after posting mostly avg % the previous 4 years at 36%, 33%, 30%, 33%. 2009-10 stats bolded

Its possible Ariza figured out something in his 11th season and at 29th years old and that last year is representative of his new talent level going forward the next 3-4 years. IMO it seems more likely that Ariza's performance in 2013-2014 much like the 08-09 playoffs, was an aberration an outlier and that a regression is likely if not inevitable.

In the end the Rockets got a good value, considering the market, but IMO they bought a mirage.

20. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

btw i wasnt clear with my firs tpost. i forgot to say we could already have some of those needs with capela, hamilton and daniels.

-daniels wasnt a slouch on defense in college. he's also 6'6 in shoes, not 6'4 like he's listed
    -backup center deosnt need to be perfect. jones can play some center so if capela can log in a productive 10-15mpg that's good enough.
    -morey has a good history with 2nd rounders so i dotn count them out