1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After going back and watching MMA again

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by hotballa, Aug 6, 2007.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I've come to this conlcusion, it's the best style in a 1v1 fight. boxing, kung fu, etc. wouldn't have a chance against MMA fighters even if groin strikes, etc. were allowed.

However, after watching about 90% of the fights wind up and finishing on the floor, I can only come to the conclusion that it is completely useless in the streets when you can't control how many people you face.

2. bladeage

bladeage Member

You also failed to point out that it is extremely boring.

3. hotballa

it isn't as bad as I remembered it. There are some uh slow parts though when the fighters are clearly winded.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Member

What is MMA and why is it so great? A lot of fighting techniques are banned from just about all the fighting competitions because they are too dangerous. If you are fighting someone to the death, it would not be as easy to get in on an opponent. How many elbows to the head can someone take? or knee to the face? joint movements are some of the most effective techniques against someone coming close but they are not allow, thus you see a lot of wrestling matches.

5. hotballa

well I think even if those things were allowed, the MMA guy would still win it in the ring.

I just don't think it's too practical in uncontrolled environments like in the street where you may be facing more than 1 person.

6. bladeage

bladeage Member

and it would still be hella boring.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Don't forget this is also in a ring environment where as in real life there are much more space for people to manuver. There is a reason why for thousands of years when people have to fight in real combat very rarely does anyone try to take down someone by wrestling with them.

8. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I just don't understand how someone could think two guys in a cage trying to beat the hell out of each other could be conisdered boring. I assume you must like watching something more exciting like golf, or tennis. There is not a more exciting sport on the planet. Where else can you see someone get knocked clean out (you can't even see this in boxing anymore) or try their hardest to break the other persons arm, leg, etc.

9. bladeage

bladeage Member

watching 2 sweaty shirtless men crawling around on top of eachother for 14 minutes isn't my idea of exciting.

10. A-Train

A-Train Member

I prefer my fighting choreographed and pre-determined, thank you very much...

Every UFC fight I've ever watched is pretty much the same. The two guys kick and punch at each other for a couple of minutes and don't hit anything, then one of the guys gets the other guy on the ground and they end up clutching each other in some gay man love position for five minutes. Then, somebody wins with a rear naked choke.

#10 A-Train, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i enjoy mma. but your right to a point in how you describe it.

but when you think about (at least in my opinion) there are good things and bad things about every sport. i LOVE my rockets but i usually get pretty bored watching a whole game. sometimes the games can knock me out cold like i took 3 ambian or something. but that could be due to JVG so maybe next season will be a bit dif. ;)

12. bladeage

bladeage Member

I've fallen asleep once during a rockets game, like 4 years ago. It was a game against the Nets I think.

13. Realjad

Realjad Member

A proper trained MMA'r is about as good as it comes to 1 v 1 fighting. You go behind the scenes to how they are trained in the catagories

Stand up

Takedown

Ground

90% of the fights end on the ground, but some joker with just and only brazilian jui jitsu isnt going to cut it against a boxer cause he has to get the guy on the ground first.

Thats why all MMA'rs train in 3 catagories, mostly being great in two and living the 3rd. I personally do kickboxing as my standup, wrestling for my takedowns and jui jitsu for the ground.. I used to focus on only judo as my takeodwns but changed it.

Thats why MMA is interesting, theres so many different combination fights, i love it

14. hotballa

Sorry dude, but I've never seen any ground guys have major problems with getting people on the floor. Like you said 90% of the matches end up on the floor, so obviously it can't be that hard getting someone to the ground.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

you calllin me a p*ssy? m***er f***er????

16. professorjay

professorjay Member

I don't really watch it unless I'm flipping channels and decide to check it out. First, there seems to be 100 different organizations w/ the words 'utlimate', 'fighting', 'extreme', etc in the title. Second, in some of them it seems like the ref will ask them to separate and get up if it looks like the fighters are in a stalemate on the ground. Those are a little more watchable.

17. maud'dib

maud'dib Rookie

yes MMA is interesting, but like you pointed out, all gloves are off in a street fight. people are not going to idle by while you get to mount your awesome chokes and what not, people are going to utilize whatever is in their advantage as fast as possible which maybe include multiple attackers, weapons, biting/gouging ect..

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The ground game is overrated for street fights because you don't know who will kick you in head when you are going for awesome triangle choke. Example, my best friend got into a fight on 6th street and had a full mount on a dude and was pummelling him. A big dude comes out of no where and kicks in the head and almost knocks him out.

I've done several types of MA in my youth such as JKD (bruce lee's MMA), BJJ, boxing, and Muay Thai and I have to say boxing with some the elbows and knees from Muay Thai is probably the best for a real street fight as long as you know how to sprawl and avoid getting taken down.

Kicking is ill-advised for street fights because often you don't have room and the floor is slippery so you end up on the ground. BJJ is not that good because you end up in a very vulnerable position if there are more than one person you are fight which is almost always the case.

In reality though, good common sense is the best defense of all. I haven't gotten into a real fight since middle school. That guy that kicked my friend in the head could have easily stabbed or shot him.

19. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Member

For those who find MMA boring, I present - Frye vs. Takayama

*** EDIT'ed : Site waaaay NSFW ***

#19 LeGrouper, Aug 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2007
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

LeGrouper, if you can find another site with that vid, go ahead and post it, but that site you linked could get half the board in trouble with their bosses. I edited it out for now. Sorry.