1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After a couple days did the tie seem more understandable?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROXRAN, Sep 14, 2022.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I’m going to be the tie man for a bit..,No one wanted the tie, I get it…but there is a chance a tie could have an impact on potentially making the playoffs down the road this season…I heard Lovie’s explanation and I think he had a pulse of what was going on in the game, We were flat out done on offense and even defense I don’t think we were gonna move the ball…And if we would’ve pushed the issue and it would’ve gone sideways the Colts seem like they were ready to march down and hit a field goal…I think at the moment we had no chance of winning the game so just take the tie…a reset was needed. Let’s let the Texans hit the game tape, reset the mental process and review the errors and move on…After thinking it over I believe Lovie Smith did the right thing. We all don’t want a repeat of game one but we definitely did some things valid in the first 3/4…we have to get Pierce going and have to finish better And frankly I think we will…
    So my question is from the perspective of the head coach did he do the right thing? I know as fans we feel like we have nothing to lose so of course go for it but I don’t think the Texans had the right mindset/constitution, whatever you want to call it at the time to go for it… The team is still young and needs that experience and I think a silver lining is that we can see the team build on the failings of game 1 or I at least hope so

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, it was stupid and cowardly for no reason.

The Texans aren't playing for the playoffs, they have no reason to fear a loss as the consequences of trying to win.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They are not thinking like that. The Texans think they can surprise people.

raining threes likes this.
  4. CrazyJoeDavola

Ties are worthless unless you are trying to save the world from nuclear war:

[​IMG]

5. Buck Turgidson

You lost me at "making the playoffs"

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The tie was always understandable because it's the Texans. They've been conservative ever since the name selection.

7. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think we as fans are thinking if we don't make the playoffs then get a high pick but I don't think that is what the coaches and players are thinking. Bravado is great and all but I bet if anyone had money riding on the game if the texans lost then there would not be a single person who would say go for it there. Again chances of winning on a 4th and 3 (bc even if you pick it up, you still have to advance the ball) were significantly less than not picking it the down and colts scoring after taking over on downs

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

9. Nook

Nook Member

This is classic Lovie Smith… he is the most conservative coach you will ever find. I am not at all surprised he played for the tie. FWIW he seems a little more mellowed and not as arrogant as he was with the Bears.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Yup… good ole mediocre. Not good, but not the worst… .500%

11. Qan

Qan Member

Still a bad decision for a team not even close to making a playoff. They're surprising no one.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Being that we are a bad team and fans are already being swayed away, I felt going for the win is the only option.

I’m never ok with playing not to lose.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't have issue with settling for the tie in that moment. After giving up that big lead, then dodging the bullet with their kicker blowing the FG, I could see Lovie not wanting the hit to his team's morale by STILL losing the game. And honestly the team wasn't giving much confidence that they would be able to get those 3 yards. My bigger issue was the terrible play call on 3rd and 1, and the personnel he had on the field at the time. Should have never been a decision on 4th down.

ROXRAN and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Exactly this. First year coach. First game of the season. Young team. Instill confidence, or let them learn.

You're not making the playoffs. You win some, you lose some. Let's see what your quarterback has, and if he doesn't have it, we're one more loss closer to a new quarterback.

Let's reverse the question. Mills doesn't do well this season. This tie is the difference between us getting the clear cut number one quarterback and settling for the number 2 guy. You still happy with it?

ROCKSS and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The question could just as easily be asked if they go for the 4th down, win the game and then THAT ends up being the difference between the first pick or not. You still happy that they went for it?

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

In the moment, yes, because at least you're still playing to win the game.

I get your point, but I think the frustration lies in athletes and coaches, paid millions to do their jobs, openly not trying to win.

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don’t really mind it. It’s the very definition of playing not to lose instead of playing to win, which I get is frustrating, but this organization really did not need another soul crushing loss.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That last part hits home

ROCKSS, Hank McDowell and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

if the Rockets org said the same thing we’d call it what it is, delusion.

charlieaustin and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

8-7 with a tie, win a weak division, lose to the first decent playoff team you face.

Textbook Houston Texans football. Why strive to be great when average is so easily attainable?