1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After $66,750 salary, happinness index goes flat in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I understand what you're saying. But you're happy in spite of the sh1tty living conditions, not because of it.

2. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

again, who said the conditions were sh1tty, some arbitrary list or people's perception?

I say it wasn't sh1tty at all.

3. da1

da1 Member

I know people that have nice 2 br apartments in Astoria for $2400, sounds like your brother is getting a bad deal.

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

OK, fine. 300 sq ft econos aren't sh1tty to you. They aren't sh1tty to most people in the world either, so there is that. But it's sh1tty to most people in America and probably everyone in Houston.

5. across110thstreet

he was talking about the size of a rented room. what was the price of the whole unit? I agree that dude got a crappy deal.

everyone in Houston hasn't also lived in NYC and LA to compare.

I have.

I wouldn't have made any guesses like that. are you saying you actually lived there, near there, or just admired it growing up?

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

It not a rented room, it's a studio. His landlord has raised his rent many times since 2004. Started at $1200 now around $1725.00. He works 80+ hours a week so he hasn't had time to look for a new place and he knows he's getting ripped off. He's also flying down here in two weeks for 5 interviews so I'm sure he'll get a job and break that lease soon. I've seen his place and it's claustrophobic. Walk in to your den/kitchen/bedroom and then a wall. No city is worth that to live in.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

NYC is only good if you're wealthy. Then you can afford a nice condo, take advantage of the amazing dining scene, etc. For the rest of the slobs that live there, not only do they have to ensure miserable experiences like riding the subway in the summer heat, but also walking a long way to even get there. That's in addition to paying exorbitant rates for a 300 sq ft apartment...in Queens. Good grief.

The other problem with NYC for the poors is that they rub shoulders every day with the rich, making them feel even more poor and miserable about their lives. It's really an awful place...unless you're rich.

8. across110thstreet

I wouldn't want the lifestyle of a wealthy New Yorker.

tipping the doorman, storing the SUV in a garage all year (that's like paying monthly rent for a studio apt in itself), sending the kids to private schools and summer camps, maintaining a summer lakehouse or beachfront property, and working 80 hour weeks to just to make it all work.

my last 3BR in Washington Heights was very spacious for NY terms, an estimated 800-1000 sq feet

also, there's, uh, air conditioning on subways these days.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

not when you have to walk all up and down the stairs to get there, and then stand on the platform waiting. I was up in NYC a few weeks ago and it was hotter than Houston!

Even my hotel (St Regis) didn't have air-conditioned hallways or elevator lobbies. And that's an $800/night hotel. Disgusting.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

There are plenty of individuals living comfortably in NY making 65-70k a year. Why? I know them. My friend has a studio in queens for 950 a month, right next to the station, and can get to Manhattan in 20 mins

11. da1

da1 Member

OMG you're saying they have to walk?!?! God forbid.

And typical degrading commentary by you, but no surprise.