1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

African-American Republicans outraged

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Refman, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,66288,00.html

NEW YORK ā€” Harry Belafonte, the calypso singer and dancer who emerged as a hot young star during an era of backdoor entry for black entertainers, doesn't like the two most prominent black officials entering through the front.

Earlier this month, Belafonte accused Secretary of State Colin Powell of being a "house slave" for adhering to the party line of an administration Belafonte clearly opposes.

"There's an old saying in the days of slavery. There are those slaves on the plantation and there were those slaves who lived in the big house. You got the privilege of living in the house to serve the master. Colin Powell was permitted to come into the house of the master," Belafonte said on a radio talk show in San Diego.

Belafonte also accused National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice of turning her back on black people.

And while Powell earlier shook off the statements with a laughing dismissal, both leaders responded this weekend to the charges they don't properly "represent."

"I think it's unfortunate that Harry found it necessary to use that kind of reference," Powell said on Fox News Sunday. "I don't know what reference he would use to white Cabinet officers who were in the house of the master."

Powell said Belafonte had the right to attack his politics, but added: "I'm serving my nation. I'm serving this president, my president, our president. I'm very happy to do so."

Rice, speaking Sunday on a news program, also retorted, "Everybody should be able to debate views, but I don't need Harry Belafonte to tell me what it means to be black."

But Belafonte, 75, wasn't the last black American to harp on Powell and Rice for backing the Bush administration. Civil rights activist Jesse Jackson jumped into the fray on Sunday when he told a black church that Powell is "not on our team."

The barrage has conservative African-Americans up in arms.

"The Democratic race-baiting machine is in full motion now," said Niger Innis of the Congress of Racial Equality.

Innis said the politically correct crowd views black Republicans as sellouts, not successes.

"They believe for you to be authentically black, you have to toe their line and if you don't toe their line, then you should be disciplined, and the way they discipline you is to call you names and by chastising you, not by challenging you on policies and asking for a full debate and discussion on the issue, but throwing stones at you."

Author and columnist Earl Hutchinson added that the debate demonstrates how independent-thinking blacks are chastised for not toeing a liberal line.

"Jesse Jackson says [Powell] is 'not on our team.' Well, what is our team? We have to use football and baseball analogies instead of serious dialogue" to argue legitimate political differences, Hutchinson said.

Some blacks have said that Belafonte has made a point, since Powell and Rice are products of a Bush political machine that chose them to be members of the team.

James Cone, author of Martin & Malcolm & America: A Dream or a Nightmare, said Malcolm X criticized mainstream civil rights leaders and groups as "the black leadership which was chosen by the dominant white society."

"Now didn't the Bush administration choose Powell? So what's the difference?" Cone said.

"It's not a nice thing to say, but the truth is often very provocative and hurtful," he added.

Others say it is demeaning to think that everyone in a distinct racial or ethnic group would think alike.

"Double standard? There's such a double standard. Stevie Wonder can see the double standard," said conservative African-American columnist Armstrong Williams.

"Of all people, [Powell] is one of the most independent thinkers in the Bush Cabinet," said David Almasi, director of Project 21, a leadership network for conservative blacks.

Belafonte has since said that the remarks were not meant to be personal, but a criticism of the Bush administration.

"I'd like to see both [Powell] and Condoleezza Rice show some moral backbone, show some courage, show some commitment to principles that are far higher than those being espoused by their boss," Belafonte told The Associated Press.

However, long after slavery's end, it seems some still find it hard to break the chains of race.

Fox News' Eric Shawn and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

2. Elvis Costello

The sixteen known African-American Republicans should be outraged by Belafonte's statements, indeed.

;)

3. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

This may not be a very popular viewpoint, but from what I've read Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are closer to sellouts. Espousing the views that they do has certainly brought them personal profit and popularity. That's not something I've ever heard Colin Powell accused of.

I don't think that any race would be best served by only having one political party supporting their views. That leads to dividing our country, not bringing it together.

It's interesting that this bit of news comes out less than a week after Woody Harrelson came out with his "American sick of American Lies" piece. If you didn't know, Woody is a noted PoliSci major - oh wait, I was wrong - he is a noted actor and rich guy. You wonder if we might be able to just tell celebrities to just shut up someday when they try to espouse their political views.

4. t4651965

t4651965 Member

I doubt that many people care what Belafonte has to say. He is a throwback to another time that most people don't care to relive.

In the past, he served a purpose to our society, but our society has changed. People like Belafonte are trying to hold on to the past, and thus maintain some sort of relevance. He is failing badly.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Come on, ya'll have to admit you found Belafonte's comments amusing. Imagine what he thinks of Alan Keyes.

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Work all night for a drink of Rum!

come mr. taliban, tally me banana...

(maybe I improvised a little)

8. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

9. Mrs. Valdez

Mrs. Valdez Member

I'm mixed, mostly black and Chinese. And I'm a libertarian who lines up behind Keyes on almost all issues. I personally find it rather irritating to get heat for my political views on the basis that black people need to stick together to achieve the goals Jesse Jackson thinks are important. I could go on but it's bound to turn into a rant against that view...

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I found the comments out of line.
    Colin Powell is very closed lipped about alot of things
    and alot of views. . . he weighs his words carefully.
    loosely translated he is an excellent politician

I don't know his full hand [unlike Alan 'lock out of the convention' Keyes]
    I'll reserve judgement on Powell

Now Connie Rice. . . WHO THE HELL IS CONDALEEZA RICE
    i mean she and Rod paige have been so f*cking anonymous
    not that they sell outs. . . but more like. . . WHAT THE HELL DO
    THEY DO . . . you almost never hear about them DOING anything

I just have a picture of the two of them in the lincoln bedroom
    playing GO FISH . . .

Rocket River
    "got any 7s . . . ." - Rod Paige

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would hate to think that I had to vote a certain way simply because of the color of my skin.

12. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Rocket River....if you ever get a chance to listen to Rice, do it. That woman is sharp!

13. MadMax

1. How often have we seen vocal NSA's and secretarys of education in the past??

2. You must not watch enough CNN...Condi has been very outspoken on Iraq and defending the administration's views...in no way has she taken a backseat in this administration

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Woman? :confused: That dude is truly sharp, but he makes Dick Cheney look like a baby koala bear, policy wise. He's looking to establish the Pax Americana. All hail!

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think calling Colin Powell a sell out is way out of line. Based on his public views he hardly fits in the republican party at all, perhaps except his center/right foreign policy leanings. I personally I am glad he is our SOS and moderating the more extreme and narrow people in the cabinet (including Rice).

Condi Rice--she is bright and I don't know whether the sell out label fits--but I have heard she is a fairly autocratic, ideological and intolerant (think Dick Cheney of different gender and color). People who worked with her or had contact with her at Stanford may not have questioned her intelligence, but they did not think much of her leadership, balance or fairness. Personally, the seemingly heartless, extreme & intelligent types worry me more than others (Iā€™d rather have a GWB clone in her position).

Now just don't get us started on the arrogant buffoon Clarence.

16. Timing

Timing Member

If his views hardly fit the party then why is he a Republican and why did he accept a position with this President? You said he's not a sell out and point out he hardly fits. Well...

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

How do that and his race have anything to do with each other?

18. Live

Live Member

I think there's something that ya'll need to realize about Belafonte:

Nobody gives a Rat's Assets about him!

My Mom told me that, back in the day, Harry was the OJ Simpson of the day. 'Nuff said.

'Here's your hat and coat, Harry. And you know that we've never left the light on for you. Please go now.

Al, Jesse, you're next.'

#18 Live, Oct 22, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2002
  19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Based on his comments at previous Rep conventions, his views IMO are more reflected in the mainstream Democratic party then the mainstream Republic party. 2 possible reasons I believe he is a Rep (this is my pure conjecture): 1) he believes he can have a greater positive impact on our nation by being a member of the Repu party and helping lead a moderate block of Repu in gaining control of the overall party away from an extreme reactionary party leaders. Perhaps he believes this would help facilitate an overall less poisoned, and more deliberative, dialogue among politicians and among the public. 2) despite his overall views being closer to the Demo party his expertise (as a military man) and chief personal concerns are with foreign policy (where you might call him center or center-right) and for this reason he feels better served being aligned with republicans despite any problems he has with their domestic priorities and positions.

As a principle I don't think sell out should be used cavalierly. Certainly not for Powell, probably not for Rice (I'd need a lot more info on her to come to that conclusion, you can be misguided, extreme, and narrow w/o being a sell out). The dumbass on our Supreme Court might be a different case though because there is a long record of his statements, positions, and perhaps just as important his lack of statements or insight when you are waiting for something (where he doesn't say or offer anything).

20. MadMax

There are so many faulty presumptions here, I don't know where to start. So if black, you can not be a republican? Does that mean you can't think for yourself, or you're simply not allowed to? And if you're black and you are a republican, then you don't give a damn about other black people?

Or could it just be that reasonable minds reach different conclusions sometimes??....that reasonable minds, both working for the same goal, can attempt to get there different ways? Could it be that one's color and one's mind and opinons are not inextricably tied together?

Personally, I think all of my white friends who vote Democrat are sell outs! (hoping you'll note my sarcasm and how silly this statement really is).