1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghanistan 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Fully agree. The mission continues. It has simply shifted from a military phase to a primarily diplomatic phase.

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

That's a better description. Still very broad categories (ie, stereotypes).

Which of those groups, it either, would you say are, per DaDakota, 'ignorant'?

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Agreed, I wonder why the other 100+ could not get out, I did like the Biden Admin say that even if they didn't want to go now if they change there mind in a week, a month or a year we will still get them out

I do believe having people still there limits are ability to use any force, I would like to see our jets swoop in and bomb every asset that was taken by ISIS-K.......experts say that the planes and helicopters are to complicated for them to use but still, blow those ******s up

Billions of dollars wasted trying to help the Afghan army and they run at the first sign of conflict

4. durvasa

Sky News is essentially the Aussie version of Fox News, isn’t it? I wouldn’t generalize this as the view of all Australians.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and Ubiquitin like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He was trying so hard to not make that commitment (knowing well it's a promise that he might not be able to keep) and then he did it. This is a problem I see with Biden - he is so aware and afraid of what he said looks bad that he ends up looking bad. He should have just said we have a hard deadline and we will do everything we can to get Americans out by that deadline. If some are still left, we will re-evaluate our options at that time, including diplomatic means to get them out after our military has left. Keep your options open.

ROCKSS and durvasa like this.
  6. astros123

astros123 Member

The majority of the 100 citizens are stranded outside the city. Do you want the military to do recon missions while we are potentially exposed at the airport ? The safety of our troops is the most important thing. We have control over 4b of Afghanistan reserves which taliban need to govern. We have alot of leverage when it comes to Afghanistan.

Biden made those comments before the airport had a blast and we lost 13 troops. It's clear that Biden doesn't want any more dead us troops.

7. durvasa

Yeah. Or he could have said that the plan at present is to leave by August 31, and a final decision will be made closer to that date based on factors on the ground if it doesn't look like we can get everyone out.

Amiga likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think @txtony is advocating going back into the country and getting those stranded. I think he is just saying that Biden needs to be more aware of what promises he makes, which I agree with him.

I agree with you, Biden does not want any more dead troops. He needs to backtrack his previous promise and state:

"We re-evaluated our options of extending our stay to meet my promise of withdrawing all the individuals I promised we would withdraw, however, with ISIS targeting our troops and civilians, the mission became unsafe and I'm committed to not lose anymore service members lives. I'm sorry I made a promise I could not keep, however, we are not abandoning these individuals and I have directed my administration to do everything necessary diplomatically to get those individuals out of Afghanistan if they want to leave."

Something to that effect would really help him take personal responsibility, but shifting the focus away that he is leaving people behind. If he leaves it how it is right now, he is just going to take more criticism.

durvasa and Amiga like this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

Biden not able to show empathy to the slain Marine's families. Is there even one aspect of this ordeal he is handling correctly? He kept looking at his watch during the dignified transfer at Dover too, and the parents were noticing. Just total lack of awareness. One mother in particular went off on Biden on social media and surprise...fb disabled her account.

https://news.yahoo.com/father-marine-killed-kabul-attack-104634208.html

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You are correct sir. That was excellent. You should be a speech writer for Biden.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Hard right edge that think we should have Christian laws......are ignorant. They are America's Taliban - sorry you don't like the comparison but it is 100% spot on and apt.

Religious zeaolotry is bad for this country, it is bad for any country because it is based upon a myth, a legend and meant to keep men in power, and women weak.....Evangelical Christianity is a danger to this country, thank GOD it is shrinking as people become educated.....

IMHO, you tax Churches as a business, because that is exactly what they are.....

DD

VooDooPope likes this.
  12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

whats really f***ed up about them is that most trumpers were also george w. bush supporters and advocates of invading and occupying iraq and afghanistan. when it comes to u.s. foreign policy they have been deadly wrong for almost 20 years. they are now literal cult members to someone who says we should have never gone in afghanistan in the first place.

they were war hawks until trump told them not to be.

i know in my own life that people who 15 years ago said i was anti-troop, unpatrioitic, should leave the country and was only opposed to the wars because i hated bush are now saying what i said 15 years ago regarding afghanistan.

i think millennials call this "gaslighting"...except that i dont think trumpers are smart enough to employ that technique. theyre just blind sheep who follow whatever their god says.

#1512 jo mama, Aug 31, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    VooDooPope likes this.
  13. jo mama

did you also criticize trump for his lack of empathy when he attacked a gold star mother and also said POWs are not heroic b/c they were captured?

VooDooPope likes this.
  14. jo mama

we now know what the dotards plan for afghanistan would have been...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-reveals-master-plan-afghanistan-143910953.html

Trump Reveals His Master Plan for Afghanistan: We Should’ve ‘Let It Rot’

Donald Trump has had a lot to say about how Joe Biden has mishandled the withdrawal from Afghanistan—but, when given the chance to explain what he would have done differently, Trump’s master plan boiled down to leaving the country in smouldering ruins before leaving it forever.

The ex-president appeared on Fox Business on Tuesday morning to get some things off his chest a day after the last U.S. troops left Afghanistan. During a curious rant about how he believes unnamed shadowy forces are controlling Biden, Trump shared his alternative withdrawal plans.

“It’s something that’s rather incredible,” he said. “They [the people supposedly controlling Biden] do horrible things, vicious things. They cheat, steal, lie. But they can’t do a simple withdrawal from a country that we should never have gone into in the first place... We should have hit that country years ago, hit it them really hard, and then let it rot.”

The Nonexistent Afghanistan Plan That Might’ve Saved Biden’s Ass

The former president was repeatedly thrown softball questions about how he would’ve handled the situation if he hadn’t lost the election. However, he repeatedly failed to give any answers of substance, merely saying that he would’ve won the war in Afghanistan if only he’d had a few more months.

“He [Biden] handed them a country on a silver platter,” said Trump. “He ought to apologize and stop trying to, excuse the language, bullshit everybody into thinking that what he did was good. We should have withdrawn but we should have withdrawn in a totally different way, with great dignity. It would have been a tremendous win for us.”

Again, he didn’t elaborate on what “totally different way” would have resulted in the “tremendous win” despite being asked for details.

While Trump repeatedly tried to criticize Biden for the failings in the U.S. evacuations from Kabul, he also laid into the thousands of desperate evacuees. With zero evidence, Trump claimed Afghan evacuees who have arrived in the U.S. include “many terrorists” and “criminal rapists.”

We’re Giving Up On Afghanistan—and the Americans Still There

Needlessly linking the situation back to one of his presidential obsessions, Trump added: “The level of incompetence on this withdrawal is even far greater than the level of incompetence at the southern border.”

At the end of the interview, host Stuart Varney bizarrely threw in some questions about cryptocurrency, and Trump’s answers were equally strange. Varney asked if Trump “dabbled” in crypto, and his answers provided roughly the same level of detail that he gave when being asked for his alternative plans for the withdrawal from Afghanistan.

“I like the currency of the United States,” said Trump. “I think the others are potentially a disaster waiting to happen. I don’t know. I feel that it hurts the United States currency, we should be invested in our currency, not in... Uh... They may be fake, who knows what they are? They certainly are something that people don’t know very much about.”

15. SuraGotMadHops

I find it useless as hell to constantly compare what is going now to what DJT did or what people suspect he would have done. I am in the here and now, Biden was supposed to be better than this, wasn't he? If folks who loathe Trump are comparing Biden's actions to what Trump had previously done, then that means Biden must be as terrible as Trump was.

ROXRAN likes this.
  16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

That was a terrorist attack. They did not invade and overthrow areas of our country. Terrorism is ALWAYS a threat

You know why?

Because terrorism has a political motivation to either get Americans engaged in war or to get them to change something in their interest.

The reason Bin Laden gave for attacking the US is because back in the first Iraq war, Pappy Bush built a military base in Saudi Arabia (where Bin Laden is from) on Saudi holy land where women showing their elbows and men were drinking etc etc. After 9/11 happened did you know that W moved that base off of the Saudi holy land?

ISIS will have motive to attack the US I’m sure. That’s a threat. However they are not going to send 100,000 troops and take over the Florida panhandle. That’s just not how any of this works and it shows why ISIS and Al Qaeda do what they do. They know folks in the US don’t understand the Middle East and they’ll react in this type of way.

There are zero reasons to be afraid of an ISIS invasion. However there is a healthy amount of fear you should have in public places over the next few months of maybe a Boston bomber type of situation. Security at large events will need to be ramped up IMO.

17. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I think it has to go down as the greatest military failure in the history of mankind. The Afghan Army was far bigger, far better equipped than the Taliban, and only had to defend, not attack. And they gave up without a fight.

Whose failure is that, though? I have to put a lot of it on our leadership. If they are that poor at evaluating ability to fight (and ability MUST include the willingness to actually fight), then they were in no position to decide to give them billions worth of military equipment, which one would have had to appraise at apparently around a 99% chance of becoming Taliban equipment.

This also demonstrates that that same military leadership learned NOTHING from Iraq, where the exact same thing happened. That was about a decade ago....seems to have been lost in antiquity already. Milley was certainly completely unaware of this history, even though he was an actual participant in it. Only really two explanations for that: complete incompetence, or total idiocy. Neither is a good trait for someone in his position.

18. jo mama

so in other words, you did not have a problem with trump insulting a gold star mother and saying POWs are not heroic b/c they were captured.

you criticize biden for not being able to "show empathy to the slain Marine's families", but cant bring yourself to say it was wrong for trump to publicly insult the mother of a slain marine and for him to say POWs are not heroic b/c they were captured.

AleksandarN likes this.
  19. SuraGotMadHops

Seems more like you're okay with Biden doing it on the basis that a guy you hate, Trump, purportedly did something similar.

20. jo mama

lol...nope.

ive criticized biden for his handling of the withdrawal and as someone who is not a partisan hack or literal cult member i can also say that it was disrespectful of biden to be looking at his watch while the bodies of the slain marines were brought home. i can say that based on what the parents said that biden should have been more empathetic to them.

ill point out again that you cant even bring yourself to admit that it was wrong of trump to attack a gold star mother and say POWs are not heroic b/c they were captured. that fact that you are so willing to criticize biden but cant even acknowledge that trump should also be criticized tells me that you dont really care about any of this beyond the blatant partisanship.

also, as usual, the trumpers attack one politician while giving their god trump a pass for doing much worse things (looking at his watch vs. attacking a gold star mother and insulting POWs). again, it just comes off as total partisan hackery.

AleksandarN and VooDooPope like this.