1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghanistan 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Notice how their outrage at the scenes at Kabul's airport pivoted from a more humane and understandable "this is a disaster for everyone there" to only focusing on American citizens once conservative media changed its tune regarding Afghan refugees.

2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I hear that they are looking for a few volunteers...

Let me know when you sign up...

T_Man

Agent94 and Nook like this.
  3. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

USA today poll says Joe Biden's approval over his handling of Afghanistan sits at 26%, I'd say conservatives have plenty of company.....

basso and TheresTheDagger like this.
  4. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Try harder to post something sensible.

5. TheresTheDagger

6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This thread:

Moderates and conservatives criticizing the sequence of the withdrawal.

Liberals trashing conservatives.

7. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Obviously we want Americans out first especially with Biden's self imposed deadline. Most of America thinks Biden is handling this poorly.

We do want our allies out as well. No one is saying that doesn't need to happen.

8. T_Man

Oh I did....

You keep posting and b****ing about Biden being scared and how our forces should be there... But yet I don't see you volunteering to put your life on the line.....

You're no different than the politicians and CEO making money off a BS war and having my brothas and sisters in harm way, injured or killed...

And by the way Russia and other countries have tried to conquer that territory and they have all failed, so please carry on with your nonsense...

T_Man

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I will be interested to see where it is in 3-4 weeks.

My guess is it will depend on the news cycles.

10. T_Man

For me I don't give a CRAP about the politics... I do care about my military family.....

I don't care how they got out... I only care that they are out...

T_Man

Astrodome likes this.
  11. TheresTheDagger

Probably true. Also will be interested to see where it is if/when an Al Queda/Isis attack occurs.

Nook likes this.
  12. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

Actually you didn't. What operation equipped enough to do the job not run by a senile old fool do I sign up with to go over there? No one is asking anyone to conquer anyone at this point. Wake up and join the discussion, We should not have pulled our troops out before we got our citizens and allies out. Most of America seems to understand that.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As it should be. I completely agree that Biden handled this poorly and I'm very curious to learn in the future, once reporting can be done (hard to do in a knee-jerk media world), what types of intelligence failures happened that caused American leadership to be caught off guard when the Afghan government and military that we spent 20 years financing collapsed in a week. Hopefully Steve Coll will write about it.

However, I tend to agree with @Nook that this won't end up being the winning issue to hammer Biden with when the alternative is the leader of the GOP campaigning against his own Taliban-approved May 2021 withdrawal timeline and no plausible alternative other than "continue to stay in Afghanistan for an undetermined amount of time".

Invisible Fan and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. T_Man

1. To do what job... Kill all the Talibah... (Get Real) Like I stated.. Russia couldn't even do that and they have no rules for war..
    2. NATO was already pulling out... So that means we would have been there fighting solo...
    3. Most of the guys get a notice to bug out... So again, that is the part that I am waiting to hear about.... Did they get the notice and if so, why the hell did you still decide to stay?

So as I stated... Please keep on politizing this.. Make it like a Biden thing and I will keep saying what I have been saying... I'm glad he got my military family out...

T_Man

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I read we left back some 17k pieces of things. That most of them were junk, not weapons and obviously, things the military didn't think were worth bringing home. We also left some military goodies with the Afghans and now that's in the Taliban's hand.

If we did not leave any military equipment back with the Afghans to resist the Taliban, Biden would probably be criticized for leaving the Afghans gov for an early quick death.

Andre0087 likes this.
  17. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

I understand and respect why you are emotionally invested and will leave it here with you,

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't know what "liberals" means here. Plenty of liberals see major problems with how this went down. It really isn't a liberal/conservative issue.

I guess "liberals" is shorthand for partisan Democrats?

Astrodome likes this.
  19. Pistol Pete

Supporting Member

I hope that Trump isn't the candidate running against Biden. Both will be too old in 2024. This will be an issue for whomever Biden runs against to hammer him with. (if he runs) It was HIS call to pull out in the manner he did with a hard deadline. The worst of this is yet to come, I fear. What happens to whomever is left behind. That will haunt Biden.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member