1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Afghanistan 2021

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Jun 25, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this is what the intelligence community was saying it's as big of a failure of George Tenet's "Slam Dunk" on Saddam having weapons of mass destruction.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think everyone knew the taliban was going to take over once US left. I don't think think anyone expected it have happen in a week.

Yung-T likes this.
  3. Gioan Baotixita

I believe that general guy that the clowns in here seemed to think that he and I are the same is Native American too. You two must get along swimmingly in this forum.;)

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Bit late, but I see you mentioning Guatemala or Sudan.
    Do you have direct experience with recent refugees from the problematic regions I and the thread mention, mainly Syria and Afghanistan, especially young men?

Generalizing refugee experiences is a bit of a moot point, the cultures and behaviour extremely differ by country and there are some cultures here that integrate extremely well compared to others.

I see a lot of you guys defending this or saying Euro issues are totally overblown, but that's easy to say if you just compare them to the kind of refugees the US mainly has.

And to add, we don't have the extensive kind of background checking the US does, the majority came without ID checks and you get the full range.

I guess my point is that I find the basic logic of "My background-checked, mainly non-Afghan and non-Syrian refugees are not causing real issues, so you Euros are hysterical and blowing this completely out of proportion" a bit ignorant or naive.

#2064 Yung-T, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Squirtle likes this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I hope all who served have a nice Veteran's day. Much respect.

6. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Nice one General!

Gioan Baotixita likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I hadn't followed this beyond the initial video and didn't realize it escalated to such an extreme.

8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More Than 60,000 Interpreters, Visa Applicants Remain in Afghanistan
    About 33,000 of those could be eligible for immediate evacuation, State Department says

https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-t...-applicants-remain-in-afghanistan-11639689706

excerpt:

The Special Immigrant Visa program was set up in 2009 to help those at risk of Taliban reprisal for helping the U.S., including interpreters for the U.S. military and diplomatic and foreign-aid workers.

The Biden administration came under intense pressure this summer to do more to evacuate applicants, beginning emergency flights out for those who had cleared vetting in July. The premature collapse of the Kabul administration meant that most were left behind.

Afghan visa applicants left behind are increasingly desperate to leave due to deteriorating economic conditions in the country.

Kianoush, who was approved for an evacuation flight that was scheduled to take place the week that Kabul collapsed in August, is among the thousands waiting for news of a flight. He has been hiding after working on sensitive projects alongside U.S. forces at the Afghan interior ministry.

“We are jobless and the winter is coming. There is no food, or clear future,” he said in a telephone interview.

In the chaotic evacuation effort that took place in the summer, the U.S. and its allies evacuated over 100,000 Afghans. Some made it through the crowds at Kabul airport without paperwork, while American citizens and visa applicants were unable to enter and board flights. More than 70,000 Afghans arrived in the U.S.

The State Department said afterward it believed the majority of Afghans who worked alongside the U.S.-led NATO coalition had been left behind.

The Biden administration promised to evacuate all Americans from Afghanistan after the collapse, but stopped short of offering the same assurances to Afghan allies at risk of retribution.
    more

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope their people can make it work in their country.

Not our business.

DD

No Worries likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Glad to see the US secured at least some period of safety for the translators who couldn’t get out. Getting out of Afghanistan continues to be the right move. Can’t predict what atrocities the Taliban will enact next year but it’s a fight we are better staying out of as long as we can continue to be a vessel for getting innocent people out that want to get out.

12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Gonna be difficult to evacuate anyone else at this point.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I hope they figured out a way to feed all the hungry people over there.

No Worries likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We were there for almost twenty years, it kinda is our business.

But yeah, no one wants to send boots on the ground there any time soon or ever

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  15. DaDakota

Thoughts and prayers to the Afgahn people in their own country.

DD

16. Salvy

Salvy Member

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

We invaded, ****ed it up and left it far worse than before.

100K+ children are forecasted to starve. I just wish people would own up to it and not pretend like they care

18. DaDakota

Russia invaded first, we didn't leave any famine, that is their current government - the people need to rise up and take care of themselves.....

Nothing we can or should do - other than perhaps humanitarian aide like any other country that is not us.....we are not building an empire.

DD

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Not really the US fed them for 20 years. The standard of living went up with US pumping billions into their economy.

rockbox likes this.
  20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

we pumped billions into our own economy through contractors, look at the statistics.